#85080  by Imagined Days

I put my Twin on an amp stand that leans it back a bit like that. Love it, I can hear it real great and so can the crowd.
 #85082  by czyfingers

I use a fancy natural finish construction grade 2x4 cut to the width of my cab. Fully adjustable by pushing it furthur back under the cab. If you have e120s in there, they make the cab front heavy enough to lean it back a good bit with out any risk of it tipping backwards. Works like a charm and it was hand picked from the scrap lumber pile in my garage, so it was free!
 #85088  by SarnoMusicSolutions

The proximity of the speaker and the floor has a tremendous effect on the bass response of any cabinet. The advantage of tilting while on the floor is that you get the floor coupling bass enhancement yet get to aim a bit more of the clear axis of the speaker at your head so you can hear it correctly. (but don't aim the center "beam" at your ears, ever) For bass players and bassy sounding guitarists, this floor coupling is a major issue and can be fine tuned for nailing the right bass response. For us Jerry-heads here with virtually no bass in the tone, it really isn't all that important to have the cab on the floor. Somewhere between aiming the speaker way too low and directly at the eardrums is the ideal target.

One of the best reasons to tilt an amp is so that the speaker NEVER points its narrow and deadly treble beam at a human. If it hits someone in the audience withint 50 feet or so, it can be brutal. If the beam hits the soundman, his ears will be confused and he'll struggle with cutting as much treble as he can with the channel EQ and totally screw up the tone of the guitar in the PA, or he'll simply take you completely out of the mix. By tilting just right, you can have the beam blast upward at a tilt so the beam kind of hits you in the gut or chest and then continues up toward the ceiling and never hitting the eardrums. Also, its good be crafty with the beam and also be very sure not to aim it at your vocal microphone. That can wreak havoc as well.

Personally, I like a 1-12" amp to be about 2' off the ground and aimed a bit upward and not at my vox mic. If it's a vertial 2-12" cab, then I like it to start about 1' off the ground with the same basic tilt. A 3-12" can sit on the floor and tilt up like Jerry did.

B
 #85093  by unnbrokenchain

"One of the best reasons to tilt an amp is so that the speaker NEVER points its narrow and deadly treble beam at a human." ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love this site, really, I do!

The difference between tilting and not tilting is night and day.
 #85119  by strumminsix

I love your posts, Brad!

IMO this is the best amp stand:
http://www.gruven-stands.com/products/?ptag=amp

Keeps ya close to the floor for solid bass response but pointed upward at a good angle to hear yourself.

Now, heading Brad's advise if you are a 2x12 Twin guy running your amp at 75% you will likely tear own head off :smile:
 #86113  by modz

I made this prototype for a guitarist and I love it!!!! If you decide to try to build one give me a shout and I will try to help you not make the mistakes I made. I made it as small as I could!!! the back is open. I'm going to revise this cab and maybe not make the 45º angle so wide. I like for the back to have a bigger opening, myself.
 #86114  by modz

P.S. also don't point it at your vocal microphone. I have a carpet with marks on it for mic stand pedal board and speakers. I put an X (with duct tape) on the carpet about 2 feet back from the mic and that is the focus point of both of my cabs (stereo). Me my self I love standing there. Never point your cab toward the sound man:)
 #86146  by unnbrokenchain

Pretty sweet Tracy. Sorry I have not thanked you yet for the cab. Been playing through it since it got here tuesday. Definitely built to last! :hail:
I'll post pics whenever I feel like setting down my guitar!
 #86152  by tigerstrat

modz wrote:P.S. also don't point it at your vocal microphone.
More importantly, don't point your vocal mic at your guitar speaker. Difficult to not point the cab at your mic when that's also where your ears are going to be.

Cool wedge cab!
 #86153  by modz

@ Johnny, I am thinking feet are a must too!
@ unnbrokenchain I'm glad it arrived safe and sound. I think from now on, the organic handles will be the norm and metal handles will be special order. I posted a pic of your cab and got some nice compliments, I love the grain. I don't think you'll be blowing the speakers up in that thing:) I have a brand new Weber neo 2x12 cab here for a steel guitarist and I am AB'ing between that and my k 120's. I love research!
My 2x12 (k120) is 60 pounds and the neo cab is 43 pounds. 17 pounds adds up when you lift it 4 times per show!!! By the way Weber rules! Ted's son is a super nice guy, they all are!