#84867  by unnbrokenchain

I think I'm going to pull the trigger and buy three 12" neo mags for my 3X12 cab project. I know they are a replacement for the D120 and NOT the E120, which is what I want! I was wondering though which options would resemble an original D10 the most. I'm going for the aluminum dome, but I'm not real sure on what cone type is best. The choices are all paper cone with, or without dope, or a cloth surround. On the page the very first speaker looks the most similar to a D120, so was wondering which cone type that is?

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

#84871  by JonnyBoy

UBC, have you called Weber yet? They will know exactly what you are looking for with what you mentioned here. That is a paper cone with the aluminum dustcap. I would just call them and hash it out with one of their reps.
 #85044  by mijknahs

I bought a 12" Weber Neo Mag (cloth surround, aluminum dome) and really didn't like it. It wasn't "thick" enough sounding. Was kinda nasally sounding to me. Too much high end and not enough low mids.

My JBL E120s are the only speakers that I've tried that I'm satisfied with. I haven't tried the Eminence Commonwealth or the Beyma Liberty though. Those might do the trick. The Commonwealth is cheaper than a recone...

Jim
 #85047  by JonnyBoy

since the existence of my MC250 and the stereo effect I was able to get the low down on the commonwealth v's E-120 without having to switch rigs and speakers and blah blah...

The E120 is my favorite sound hands down still. The commonwealth as a 1x12 is Jerry all day too, but a little more lower mids and lows than I like, but its there. as a 2x12 with an E-120 and commonwealth I didn't like it at all. They do have two separate sounds, and they fly all over one another if that makes any sense. maybe the cause of the muddy issue I was having in stereo. either one speaker on their own, or even the commonwealth as a 2x12 or the e's as a 2x12 I like. But I like the E's better because they spank better on those lower strings. But commonwealths are really the only thing made close enough structure wise, magnet strength, dust cap, wattage, cone, like the JBL E with exception to the Beyma Liberty. I am still wondering if the age of the speaker has anything to do with the sound we get too. Maybe the two speakers would be identical sounding when the E was brand new. I think my E-120 is almost 27 years old, but I do like it. I love the Black Widdow too!!! People always told me not to mix up speakers unless you are trying to achieve something that way... If you have a sound you like out of a speaker, get another of the same. I'm gonna see what my 2x12 does with a vintage Black Widdow in stereo and I'll post back on it. It should be like a K-E -120 mix.
 #85051  by mijknahs

I do agree that 2 (or more) of the same speaker is the best.
 #85052  by mijknahs

I do agree that 2 (or more) of the same speaker is the best.
 #85067  by unnbrokenchain

Hmm... I have tried the two different types of speakers thing and it does produce something quite different. I'm getting a 2X12 cab at the end of the month and can't decide what speakers I want. I'm now leaning towards the commonwealths. Even though I want a speaker similar to the D120, to my ears the neomags or cali's don't sound similar at all. From all the sound bytes they seem too harsh, not balance or smooth like how the D120's were. I don't know what to do. I think the commonwealths look the most appealing, since they are the cheapest and sound good all around.

Speaking of the mixing of speakers. I was also going to make a 1x15 cab and stick a 4 ohm Weber Cali" alnico for when I want to do country stuff with my tele. I could play that with my Fender Bandmaster reverb. Was wondering what it would sound like if I had the 1x15 cab connected to the ext. speaker output of the amp while the 2x12 cab was in the other? I'm primarily going to play with just one at a time, but was just curious to what it would be like :roll:
 #85075  by JonnyBoy

from what I've heard you will probably only be happy with the real deal. They are in their own league, although there will be acceptable replacements when they're all gone, they won't be exactly like JBL's. keep fishing, we are lucky to be alive in a time where you can still buy them and they still sound good.
 #85076  by mijknahs

Check your local Craigslist and then ebay for either JBL K120s or E120s.
 #85077  by strumminsix

mijknahs wrote:I do agree that 2 (or more) of the same speaker is the best.
+1 with the addition of the prepositional phrase, "in a single cabinet".

I've heard a mix of speakers in different cabinets, say one to the guitarists left, the other right, sound OUTSTANDING!

JonnyBoy, I've experienced what you have. It's cuz they are different. If it was one speaker you'd set your tonestack one way, if it was the other, another way, and together you just cannot find the sweet spot since it requires a compromise and by sheer nature that compromises other parts of your tone.
 #85087  by DeadlyHeptet

To qualify all of this, I haven't heard anything except the JBL D-120s in my rig some time ago. Weber once claimed the Cali was a replacement for the JBLs. That would be hard to believe as the voice coils in those were no where near as large as the JBLs. The NEOs aren't the same magnet, so again, I'd have a hard time believing they are the same. I am not one that needs the exact replacement for most equipment, but just saying.

As for multiple speakers, it is opinion of Steve Kimock that the best tone is one speaker powered by two output tubes. Of course he has multiple rigs with all sorts of combinations, but the man has been a tone hound forever and I tend to at least listen to his opinions on these matters.
 #85090  by Quebee

[quote="mijknahs"]I bought a 12" Weber Neo Mag (cloth surround, aluminum dome) and really didn't like it. It wasn't "thick" enough sounding. Was kinda nasally sounding to me. Too much high end and not enough low mids.

Jim,
Exact same thing with same speakers. I felt like the vibe of my amp ('73 Super) was gone and sound was way too sterile and thin. They are clear and loud, just not voiced right for my liking.

If you want JBL sound, just get the JBL's and a roadie.
 #85095  by unnbrokenchain

DeadlyHeptet wrote:To qualify all of this, I haven't heard anything except the JBL D-120s in my rig some time ago. Weber once claimed the Cali was a replacement for the JBLs. That would be hard to believe as the voice coils in those were no where near as large as the JBLs. The NEOs aren't the same magnet, so again, I'd have a hard time believing they are the same. I am not one that needs the exact replacement for most equipment, but just saying.

As for multiple speakers, it is opinion of Steve Kimock that the best tone is one speaker powered by two output tubes. Of course he has multiple rigs with all sorts of combinations, but the man has been a tone hound forever and I tend to at least listen to his opinions on these matters.

Ha your right! The neo has some weird kind of magnet which helps cut back on the weight, but is weight more important than the tone? Not to me. And the Cali has a 2'' voice coil, not 4".

And yes Kimock changes his gear constantly. It really is a whole other school of tone when it comes to him. You can find a lot of helpful info and tips from his own forum, plenty of gear nerds over there as well. Steve, like Jerry, has gotten his amps (most notably his bandmaster, bassman, and dumble) customized a lot, such as switching out transformers for larger ones. He's also a big fan of D-130's. Lot of info here for anyone who cares... http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us