Chat about Equipment Info
 #84884  by Imagined Days

So, I am going thru batteries after 1 4 hour gig, and a handful of practices. I was wondering if anybody had thoughts on an external power supply for the buffer? I was just going to run a wire off of my pedal board and up to the battery clip that I would hang out of the back guitar cavity. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Chris
 #84910  by tigerstrat

My best guess: you've been leaving the guitar plugged in all night, maybe several days in a row. I barely have to change batteries every two years.
 #84945  by tigerstrat

or perhaps there was no battery defeat wired into to the output jack, or is shorted...
 #84961  by Imagined Days

I don't leave it plugged in, and I believe it is wired correctly. On the CAE site is says 10 hours of battery life is expected. I get about that, and then need a change.
 #84964  by Imagined Days

I added a pull down 1 meg resistor a few months back like Wolf had in it at the in for the buffer to ground. I just removed this. Perhaps this was causing the battery to die fast????
 #84967  by myoung6923

Imagined Days wrote:I added a pull down 1 meg resistor a few months back like Wolf had in it at the in for the buffer to ground. I just removed this. Perhaps this was causing the battery to die fast????
Maybe - depending on where it was wired in
 #84971  by myoung6923

Imagined Days wrote:It was at the junction of the switch and the "in" to the buffer to ground.
That doesn't sound like it would have caused it - that ground is normally there. Do you have the defeat wired up properly - the TRS plug with the negative from the battery that gets bridged when you plug in a mono plug?
 #84972  by Imagined Days

I believe so......? The black wire from the battery goes to the ring of the input jack. The sleeve of the jack goes to ground, and the tip goes to the volume pot.
 #85032  by Imagined Days

I just talked to a guy at CAE Sound and he said they eat batteries. 6-8 hours, and you will notice signal degredation. This is what I have been experiencing. I don't know how you guys use them for so long???
 #85040  by myoung6923

Sounds fishy - I used a CB2 for a couple of years and then switched to a Jangletone which has a higher output than the CB2 and it still lasts 3 or 4 months. I will be soon switching to Waldo's buffer which is a lower output and the battery should last even longer. I don't buy the 6 - 8 hrs - that's not what I experienced with it - unless they've changed something...