#83963  by mttourpro

This thread reminds me of a festival I was at (maybe with Missing Man Formation and SCI around 96-97) where they had a contest between sets called "It's scary when you look like Jerry". They had people from the audience who thought they looked like Jerry get up on stage and crowd applause determined the winner. FWIW, there about 10 people who entered and there were at least 3-4 that looked exactly like the man. I thought it was hilarious.
 #83969  by jdsmodulus

I was at a show when they did that! where the heck was that. too funny. For the record, I saw Jerry in the lot at every GD show I was ever at. Well at least someone who looked like him. Sometimes it made me think twice. :shock:
 #83978  by TheMissingDigit

I liked the Greenfield book. Its been a while since I read it but I wouldn't put it on a list of bad garcia/dead books. His book on/with Bill Graham is one I read every year or so because its got so many great stories. Its a must read IMO.
 #84266  by vwjodyme

granted i am to young to have seen the real doors, but i always thought val did a good job in the movie...that said i don't think any actor could pull off jerry
 #84707  by JonnyBoy

:shock: Grateful Dead Productions is not allowing ANY use of Grateful Dead's music for the movie? What is the deal behind that?
 #84850  by strumminsix

Apparently, this movie is based on some audio book on interviews about Garcia that David Gans and the guys on TFTGR have spoken highly of.
 #84860  by deadguise

Grateful Dead Productions is not allowing ANY use of Grateful Dead's music for the movie
Why bother making the movie if you can't use any of his music?

Some years back a movie about Jimi Hendrix was made and the Hendrix estate would not allow use of Jimi's music. So all that you heard throughout the movie was "Hey Joe"....the movie sucked....
 #84865  by mttourpro

From what little I've heard about this movie, it's supposed to be about young Jerry--pre-GD, so, I'm guessing they can go ahead with it whether the estate wants them to or not as they can use whatever music they want to as long as it's not owned by GDM....and, there's lots of stuff music-wise they could draw on. I suppose it does mean no help from relatives, GD family, etc but they can still make the pic basically as they intended. My guess is it will prolly suck anyhow.
 #84866  by Harvestwind

I think this probably means they'll need to get someone who plays like Jerry and someone who sounds like him to record trad songs like Shady Grove, I've Been all Around This World etc for the film. As far as I know Jerry wasn't writing that much during the period of his life to be covered by the film but it would have been nice to hear some actual performances from those days. Shame the family aren't getting behind the project.