Chat about Equipment Info
 #84507  by unnbrokenchain

Might buy a pair of Weber Neo mags and was wondering what differences cloth and paper cones have? I know D series and K had paper cones and the E's had cloth, and the Neo mags are a replica of the D series. So I'm just curious. They would be thrown into a 2X12 open cab with a 45 watt Bandmaster reverb.
 #84515  by hogan

They all have paper cones. You're talking about whether they have a cloth surround at the edge. The cloth surround reduces cone cry at higher volumes under distortion. The speaker will take longer, but not much, to break in. When they do break in, the difference in tone is quite small and unnoticeable in a band setting
 #84557  by Friesman

hogan wrote:They all have paper cones. You're talking about whether they have a cloth surround at the edge. The cloth surround reduces cone cry at higher volumes under distortion. The speaker will take longer, but not much, to break in. When they do break in, the difference in tone is quite small and unnoticeable in a band setting
What about the dome for a 10" neomag? It says you can get aluminum of paper-I want aluminum correct ? tx hogan
 #84559  by hogan

You can get whatever dome you want. The cool kids seem to like the aluminium domes. :lol:
 #84561  by Friesman

hogan wrote:You can get whatever dome you want. The cool kids seem to like the aluminum domes. :lol:
Well I got my answer 8)
 #84627  by Cmnaround

Go with hemp cones - Tone Tubbys rock. I'm using the H-bomb pairing of 2x12 with one AlNiCo and a ceramic in a closed back cab from EarCandy cabs - nice. I appreciate getting the same stuff Jerry used, but lots of players are using tone Tubbys w great tone results. Check out their site to see more about the hemp cone phenomena
 #84628  by unnbrokenchain

Cmnaround wrote:Go with hemp cones - Tone Tubbys rock. I'm using the H-bomb pairing of 2x12 with one AlNiCo and a ceramic in a closed back cab from EarCandy cabs - nice. I appreciate getting the same stuff Jerry used, but lots of players are using tone Tubbys w great tone results. Check out their site to see more about the hemp cone phenomena
Jerry never used any of that stuff ...??
 #84629  by strumminsix

unnbrokenchain wrote:
Cmnaround wrote:Go with hemp cones - Tone Tubbys rock. I'm using the H-bomb pairing of 2x12 with one AlNiCo and a ceramic in a closed back cab from EarCandy cabs - nice. I appreciate getting the same stuff Jerry used, but lots of players are using tone Tubbys w great tone results. Check out their site to see more about the hemp cone phenomena
Who cares what exactly Jerry used. When he used JBLs they were new, are you gonna buy NOS JBLs? Are you gonna change out your pups since you feel the magnets are dying like he did? Gonna pickup an H habit?

I'm joking of course but I think many need to open up their minds to alternate avenues to acheiving great tone and great tone similar to Jerry's or Bobby's or Phil's.
 #84631  by hogan

unnbrokenchain wrote:
Yeah, that was his point. He appreciates the quest for getting jerry specific gear, but was pointing out there are plenty of other options for good tone.
 #84635  by Cmnaround

Hehe as soon as I hit submit I was like "oh shit" I'm gonna get ripped a new one because - yes you are correct - Jerry didn't use Webber neo mags and what not. My bad - I should have been more specific. Point I was trying to get across - and thank you for reading between the lines here - was that it's way cool if you can replicate Jerrys gear from a specific era, but there are also some other things available - since it is almost 2011 - that work too.

Best part is that towards the end Jerry was plugging directly into the board - now I preferred all the amps and leslies on stage - but point being times change and Jerry would probably be playing an axe fx or something if he were still alive. Love this discussion and also dig the hemp cones

Peace out
 #84637  by strumminsix

Cmnaround wrote:Hehe as soon as I hit submit I was like "oh shit" I'm gonna get ripped a new one because - yes you are correct - Jerry didn't use Webber neo mags and what not. My bad - I should have been more specific. Point I was trying to get across - and thank you for reading between the lines here - was that it's way cool if you can replicate Jerrys gear from a specific era, but there are also some other things available - since it is almost 2011 - that work too.

Best part is that towards the end Jerry was plugging directly into the board - now I preferred all the amps and leslies on stage - but point being times change and Jerry would probably be playing an axe fx or something if he were still alive. Love this discussion and also dig the hemp cones

Peace out

I wasn't trying to rip on ya but instead open up your eyes to new possibilities. You are the unfortunate recipient of my frustration over the "real Jerry rig" chats of dudes using JBLS with 100W going to each. It's just very unrealistic and quite frankly doesn't work for many. I believe it was Mr. Kimock who plugged into JG's rig and couldn't get it to sound good at all.

Also, Jerry evolved based on his needs and size of venue. So if you want to replicate the exact gear you also need to replicate:
1 - the volume
2 - the amount of air the speakers pushed out into

All very important variables.

Regarding Jerryesque tone I've heard Waldo's rig nail it with 1 JBL and what, 22 watts? Other dudes nail it well with TRRIs I've even heard great tone from Blues Jr guys.
 #84643  by Cmnaround

Right on - I play 20 watts per side stereo and it's loud enough for small clubs no problem. Anything bigger and I would run a direct out to the board from my pre amp or mic up my cab - unfortunately I don't have the luxury of playing big places - but any heads near Philly that want to play should get in touch so we can try to make that happen ;-)
 #84646  by strumminsix

Cmnaround wrote:Right on - I play 20 watts per side stereo and it's loud enough for small clubs no problem. Anything bigger and I would run a direct out to the board from my pre amp or mic up my cab - unfortunately I don't have the luxury of playing big places - but any heads near Philly that want to play should get in touch so we can try to make that happen ;-)
What is your preamp, dude?
 #84681  by Cmnaround

I'm using a Mesa V-twin rack tube pre amp. This and other rack Mesa a pre amps have really nice direct stereo outs that you can go right into a live board or direct record. You get a very nice representation from the line out.