#84165  by enardi

i just listened to the three night run the dead played at the ark from 1969-04-21, 04-22, and 04-23. pretty intense stuff, great sound quality, whats even more astounding is that dark star was played on each night, and each one is amazing. my question is did the dead ever play a run with three dark stars back to back to back again?
 #84170  by tigerstrat

Four nights in a row at Fillmore West 2/27-3/2/69. I don't know if it was ever featured for three nights in a row again after Boston, but in 1969 and 70, DS was played about as often as it wasn't.
 #84171  by JonnyBoy

My favorite run at the ark. Great bunch of material. "Hell we have an hour left what else are we gonna play?" They played epic length shows too, A dark star took helped take up 45 min or so.
 #84455  by RETURN

On Saturday in Buffalo DSO played the 4/22/69. A++++++++++++ Wow! It was one for the books.
Rob Eaton had posted earlier in the day that they were going to experiment in Buffalo so wish them luck. I walk into the venue to see Barraco with organ, no keys and JM set up on the "old school side", Rob Eaton with a 335 and no effects , bass on 4 strings and drummers with straight kits- no ancillary percussion.
Eaton steps out and acknowledges that this is where they gave JK his send off and this is our intro to JM.
From sittin on top of the world opener to the Viola Lee>alligator>Volia Lee filler they blew it up. Energy, passion, fun and best of all the place was half full allowing me to get my swerve on in peace.

*Edit, it was 4/22.*
 #84463  by JonnyBoy

RETURN wrote:On Saturday in Buffalo DSO played the 4/22/69. A++++++++++++ Wow! It was one for the books.
Rob Eaton had posted earlier in the day that they were going to experiment in Buffalo so wish them luck. I walk into the venue to see Barraco with organ, no keys and JM set up on the "old school side", Rob Eaton with a 335 and no effects , bass on 4 strings and drummers with straight kits- no ancillary percussion.
Eaton steps out and acknowledges that this is where they gave JK his send off and this is our intro to JM.
From sittin on top of the world opener to the Viola Lee>alligator>Volia Lee filler they blew it up. Energy, passion, fun and best of all the place was half full allowing me to get my swerve on in peace.

*Edit, it was 4/22.*
I agree with the current DSO line up being more cohesive, Jeff really brings it to the table. He kind of reminds me of Jerry in appearance, Big, the beard, the glasses, voice. I am happy that band was able to not skip a beat with the line up change. I hope to catch them at some point, if they would ever come close enough to me.
 #84476  by RETURN

strumminsix wrote:I think the 2 above forgot that Dark Star is also song in addition to being a band....
I'm well aware of both. DSO played one of the above mentioned shows on Saturday.