#83039  by jmfranc

I would like to hear a clean Jerry sound with no effects. What song would you think?
 #83044  by playingdead

It Must Have Been the Roses
Tennessee Jed
Althea
Browneyed Women
Eyes of the World
Scarlet Begonias
Franklin's Tower

Probably easier to name the tunes he used effects on as opposed to just playing clean, because a lot of them are just clean and loud.
 #83056  by tigerstrat

95% of everything before 1976 and probably 70-80% after.

How about Cumberland Blues, El Paso, How Sweet It is...
 #83064  by playingdead

Grant wrote:stella blue is the first that comes to mind
But he usually used an overdrive (and sometimes a delay) during the solo ...
 #83072  by mijknahs

Like Tigerstrat said, most of what Jerry played was clean straight into the amp. Effects were used sparingly on some solos and certain songs (Estimated, Shakedown come to mind). But most of the time you're hearing clean guitar tone.
 #83154  by Grant

playingdead wrote:
Grant wrote:stella blue is the first that comes to mind
But he usually used an overdrive (and sometimes a delay) during the solo ...
I'm talking GD movie
 #83875  by unnbrokenchain

The only effect he used till 74 or so was a colorsound wah. Just a basic wah pedal. Then through 74 and 75 and 76 you start to hear the Phase 100 in Candyman and Blues For Allah tunes and the MXR distortion. Later seventies is when you get all the effects including the Mutron's.

Jerry also used a MXR Carbon Copy Delay, did he or did he not? I have not heard anyone talk about the delay in a while, and you don't see it a lot in peoples replica rigs. I love to use when I play Scarlet Begonias. It sounds just like an early eighties version 83? where he kept it on for most of the time during a Scarlet/ Fire. Adds a lot of punch.
 #83884  by mijknahs

I've yet to hear an example of Jerry using a delay in the 80's except in "space". I can definitely hear Bob's delay in Scarlet.

Jerry definitely had a green MXR delay in his rack though. It wasn't called the "Carbon Copy" but it was similar.

Jim
 #83888  by tigerstrat

mijknahs wrote:I've yet to hear an example of Jerry using a delay in the 80's except in "space".
solos on slower-tempo songs often had sections with echo delay: Althea, Stella Blue, Row Jimmy, I Shall Be Released, Stop That Train, Heaven's Door, Looks Like Rain, or rarely the whole song, as on Shining Star.
 #83892  by mijknahs

Maybe in the late 80's and early 90's (I don't listen to that period too much) but I just don't hear it in the 80-85 period. Can you give some clear archive.org examples? I've never bought an analog delay because I never felt I needed one for the sound I'm after.
 #83893  by jeffm725

mijknahs wrote:I've yet to hear an example of Jerry using a delay in the 80's except in "space". I can definitely hear Bob's delay in Scarlet.

Jerry definitely had a green MXR delay in his rack though. It wasn't called the "Carbon Copy" but it was similar.

Jim
Here you go Mr. Shank, the end jam of this comes a time has Jerry delay. It is subtle, but it is there.

http://phyzz.com/jeff/gd86-03-31d2t09.mp3

By the way. this ties into this thread (in that except for the solo in which he gets a fantastic distortion sound), the rest of the song is just pure, unadulterated, clean Jerry, and it sounds incredible.
And anyone who says 1986 had nothing to offer has yet to hear this C.A.T. it is Dead at their mid 80's finest. The whole band is locked, Jerry is singing the hell out of it, Brent is doing some inventive "symphony" stuff and Phil steps up HUGE during Jerry's lead. There is as a subtlety of touch and arrangement that was very unique to this era.