Sell and buy at your own risk...
 #83380  by KCJones

I don’t know man. Sure, the DC400 is a nice guitar. But if you want a Carvin (highly recommended) for more of a Jer Tone out of your guitar, I’d go with the Carvin California series. The DC400 has the Alder body which gives you more of a scooped, squank, light tone, sound … like John K’s, no matter what foo foo electronics you put in it. The California series has the Mahogany body w/ maple top giving more of a flat full resonant Jer tone. IMHO of course.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/gu ... ?model=ct6
 #83396  by gr8fulbluz

A bit of difference between the Carved top and the DC400 is the thru-neck on the DC400 and a set neck on the Carved top. But there are so many options I cannot ever keep up.. If I were to build one again I dunno? If i didnt have a neck thru I would probably do a 3 piece body neck-thru. But I would for sure have Mahogony and/or Walnut for the body option, I dunno I have not looked for a while at new Carvins. :oops:

Depending on what that DC4oo on ebay goes for could be a good deal, the clear finish is classy looking.
If it is a 2003 build it might have a similar neck as mine. Which is thin/flat. I am pretty sure i got mine in 2003. Also the bridge pickup would be a C22t standard i think. Which to my ear is Old school 1950s style treble-ly. But i have gotten used to it and find it useful. For the neck pup a C22n, again to my ear, is a nice jazzy drive-able flexible tone.
 #83539  by jackr

I have been GASing for a carvin for a long time. In fact for some reason I just got a catalog in the mail. I never got one before. Unfortunately they sell direct and not to dealers. So I cant get away with telling my wife I got it wholesale.

I think that not having dealers makes most carvins a pretty good value. :cry:
 #83760  by Bobbyg

Impulse buy, I bought it to go with the K120 speaker I got from Friesman. Thinking about changing the pick-ups.....have to do some more research here I guess.
 #83762  by tcsned

Bobbyg wrote:Impulse buy, I bought it to go with the K120 speaker I got from Friesman. Thinking about changing the pick-ups.....have to do some more research here I guess.
It's been years since I've played a Carvin and the pickups were the one thing I wasn't totally thrilled by. Though I'm sure they've changed since then. Beauty of a guitar!