#83348  by Emoto

Hi guys,

Some guys I jam with and I stumbled into The Other One last night and had fun with it. The bass player in this situation is not a deadhead, but has been learning the changes to some dead songs just so he can get the heck out of the house and play with people, and since he knows me, it is the good old GD. Anyhow, I'd love for him to hear how Phil takes the band into The Other One and point him to a good version. You know the thing I mean, when Phil does this run up and then slams a big E chord that kicks of the song. Specific show dates would be helpful. Then I can find an archive.org link to send him.

Thanks!
Last edited by Emoto on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #83359  by tigerstrat

an alternative old school intro (and scorching hot jam): http://www.archive.org/details/gd1968-1 ... sbeok.shnf

here's an excellent, HQ example of the Phil intro you are referring to, aka the "Galloping Thunder": http://www.archive.org/details/gd1970-0 ... sbeok.shnf
 #83369  by Emoto

Thanks, Tigerstrat. I just love that "galloping thunder" as you call it.
 #83372  by seamones

Not to hijack the thread, but.....

I had a tape where Phil launches the Other One intro, but instead it is into Miracle, but I can't remember the date. Anyone know of this?
 #83403  by brutusbuck45

Not to hijack this thread either... but the true "master galloper" is Steve Harris of Iron Maiden. I have never heard anybody play like him before- ever. Ok, back to your regularly scheduled thread...
 #83406  by wisedyes

Not sure if this is the exact show, but Hershey Park 6-28-85 has an "Other One" bass intro but they play "Miracle" instead.
 #83417  by hgregs

this should be in the ballpark

G|----------------------------------------------9--
D|----------------------------------------------9--
A|------------------------------------5-----5--7--
E|--0--3--0--3--5--3--5--7--5--7-----7--------

the trick is to think about the first note (open E) separately from the rest, which are triplets (4 sets, starting w/ the G), and the last power chord as separate.