#83313  by tcsned

It's certainly cheap and has the right pickup combination. The Floyd Rose is something to contend with that could be problematic. Playability might also be a factor. Do you have a chance to play it first or is it online?
 #83318  by erock

people tend to rave about sx cost to playability. I haven't heard of that on in particular, but rondo does offer a 30 day money back return policy. occasionally bad apples do get through
 #83319  by Rusty the Scoob

Yeah, a lot of the guys on bass forums that I frequent rave about the SX stuff as a great value and good instruments when modified. But they're mostly turning Fenderish basses into hot-rodded Fenderish basses.

Personally if I were putting together a Jerry guitar I wouldn't handicap myself with that (presumably) skinny neck, unknown wood, middle single coil, and Floyd Rose.

I use Keir's new Res as a good example - it's built like a Jerry guitar from the ground up and even though the electronics and strings aren't 100% like Jerrys, it nails Jerry's tone, both in sound and how it responds to technique. With a guitar like the one you posted I suspect you'd spend a lot of time and money getting the electronics 100% right and still find yourself in a similar boat as I was when I started playing the Dead on a boutique J-bass: constantly struggling with settings and technique just to get somewhere in the ballpark. If you start with an instrument that's built right and refine from there, you end up much closer to the sound you want and can simply play naturally.
 #83320  by Rusty the Scoob

USBLUES wrote:Its online.thats why i wanted to see if anyone actually has played one of these .......i saw some neck-thru versions on craigslist that looked cooler.
Neck-through would definitely sweeten the deal IMHO.
 #83322  by Tennessee Jedi

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0279880928
I would rather go this direction.
The other git will need upgrades -as will the Musician.
Floyd Rose is un-Jerry .... nice but un-Jerry.
The Ibanez has more vibe ,the neck thru ,hippie sandwich thing. Old.Cool.
Yeah the Ibby will go for more than $129
peace
:D
 #83332  by javalina

The great thing about the Floyd Rose is, if you break a string it only always breaks about an eighth of an inch off the end. You let out a little slack, clamp it down and you're good to go. Never have to buy strings anymore...