rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #83054  by JonnyBoy
 Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:02 pm
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5_OSa1LRXME&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5_OSa1LRXME&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Totally cookin' those tubes! I wish I could have caught one of these shows!!
 #83057  by tigerstrat
 Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:57 pm
'59 or '60 Les Paul Special ... I believe the Jr. is a similar but with a single pickup
 #83065  by FretWilkes
 Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:51 am
SpaceYrface43 wrote:Looks like an Lp Special to me not for sure though. Definetly not a Bean.
Correct. Used in 1971. I read somwhere that it was actually Weirs. There are pictures of Jerry using a pschedelically painted one in 67-68 too. Looks like this...

#83090  by JonnyBoy
 Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:44 pm
I found one on ebay last night that looked just like the one he was playing, a 1960 custom shop for under 2K. I love that tone he's rockin' there... so much energy, real bluesy like Dickie's slide distortion tone...maybe he was taking some pointers from my other hero..I haven't seen this vid before, is there a whole show on tape or is this just an excerpt from a movie production, maybe the closing of fillmore E by the date of things c.1971?

PS- Dozin' has it listed as a Les Paul TV which I assume to be the same thing...
 #83091  by FretWilkes
 Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:54 pm
JonnyBoy wrote:I found one on ebay last night that looked just like the one he was playing, a 1960 custom shop for under 2K. I love that tone he's rockin' there... so much energy, real bluesy like Dickie's slide distortion tone...maybe he was taking some pointers from my other hero..I haven't seen this vid before, is there a whole show on tape or is this just an excerpt from a movie production, maybe the closing of fillmore E by the date of things c.1971?

PS- Dozin' has it listed as a Les Paul TV which I assume to be the same thing...
He uses it in "The Last Days Of The Fillmore" film.
 #83093  by Rusty the Scoob
 Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:18 pm
TV Yellow is the name of the color, I think. Gibson painted guitars this color in the 50's and 60's because bright white guitars wreaked havoc with the black & white cameras of the time. This way they appeared white without causing problems.
 #83094  by mijknahs
 Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:18 pm
You really don't need to pay 2K to get this tone (you're paying mainly for the name - Gibson). It's a pretty simple all mahogany guitar.
 #83095  by FretWilkes
 Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:23 pm
mijknahs wrote:You really don't need to pay 2K to get this tone (you're paying mainly for the name - Gibson). It's a pretty simple all mahogany guitar.
10-4, mahogany and P90s.
 #83104  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers
 Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:09 pm
Can I assume that he was using this axe for the Feb shows in '71 Capitol Theater in particular, and April at the Fillmore East?

That hard, tube driving neck pickup tone is probably my fave Jerry tone. 4/28/71 Hard To Handle, my favorite all time. Nastiness.
 #83105  by mijknahs
 Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:22 pm
In a different thread we determined the April '71 Fillmore guitar was the Rick Turner "Peanut" guitar (still very much like a Gibson with humbuckers).

Jim