#75260  by BuddhaG

Hey y'all

A poster brought attention to something that begins to happen at approximately 6:00 and lasts a couple minutes of the Bird Song from this show. At first I thought it was Jerry because the notes being played were so loud and dominating the mix, but upon further listen, I am pretty sure this is actually Bobby wailing!

http://www.archive.org/details/gd88-09- ... beok.flacf

Does anyone here have any ideas about what Bobby is doing? I listened to a whole bunch of Bird Songs from this era and haven't heard anything like it.

Just thought you Bobby guys would get a kick out of this very nice sounding oddity! :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #75262  by Chuckles

Definitely Bobby in the left channel, exploring and getting off on his synth stuff (I think... maybe it's just f/x?), and he's back at it at about the 10 minute mark. Pretty cool that the whole band could just go along with it, ain't it?
 #75281  by JonnyBoy

Pretty cool,
The late 80's and the availability of cool effects for f/x junkies. To pin point the exact combo, dunno, but I'm sure its a list. I gave the show a listen and they are in effects heaven this show on every song. And they encored Ripple, nice.
 #81504  by tcsned

I was at that show - I vaguely remember that groove in Bird Song - doesn't sound like a synth wouldn't 88 be a little early for those guys using the synth? Wasn't it '89 when Jerry broke out the synth? I was thinking the Warlock's show at Hampton with the Wolf was an early guitar synth show.
 #81518  by tigerstrat

IWT (actually was outside chillin' this night but was in for 5 out of the 8 between Landover and the Philly run)

Bob was getting into his MIDI sounds by this time (September 1988), months ahead of Phil and Jerry. I remember a lot of church bell/anvil sounds from Bob during Space on the 3rd night (9/5)
 #81531  by jeffm725

tigerstrat wrote:IWT (actually was outside chillin' this night but was in for 5 out of the 8 between Landover and the Philly run)

Bob was getting into his MIDI sounds by this time (September 1988), months ahead of Phil and Jerry. I remember a lot of church bell/anvil sounds from Bob during Space on the 3rd night (9/5)
fall '88 was Casio PG-380 time...bobby definitely was well ahead of jerry on midi adoption
 #81539  by jeffm725

tigerstrat wrote:IWT (actually was outside chillin' this night but was in for 5 out of the 8 between Landover and the Philly run)

OUCH TS!!!! I just put 2 and 2 together. You got shut out of the only electric ripple from 1970-1995!!!! I was inside this night and it was incredible. Thats gotta hurt man, and I feel your pain:
I got thrown out of 11/1/85 for popping doors during the first set opener and we know what happened that night.
I was also in the parking lot for the 10/9/89 warlocks show (got in 10/8).

10/16/89 was the only other I ever got shut out of.
(obviously I missed the first 2 return Darkstars, but Miami made up for it)
 #81541  by tcsned

lol - Jeff, we must've bumped into each other in a parking lot at some point sounds like we were at a bunch of the same shows
 #81544  by jeffm725

tcsned wrote:I was at that show - I vaguely remember that groove in Bird Song - doesn't sound like a synth wouldn't 88 be a little early for those guys using the synth? Wasn't it '89 when Jerry broke out the synth? I was thinking the Warlock's show at Hampton with the Wolf was an early guitar synth show.

jerry strated using the synth during spaces in late spring/summer 89. He used a black strat while Wolf was being setup for midi. Fall 89 was when jerry really started incorporating midi into actual songs.
 #81559  by tigerstrat

jeffm725 wrote:
OUCH TS!!!! I just put 2 and 2 together. You got shut out of the only electric ripple from 1970-1995!!!! I was inside this night and it was incredible. Thats gotta hurt man, and I feel your pain:
Something must be wrong with me, as I have never once felt bad about missing the Ripple.I still had a lot of shows ahead of me and was having an insane amount of fun on this tour. I would have felt worse about missing night 4 in Philly(9/12), or opening night at the Cap, or Clapton & Knopfler at Spectrum on the day off for that matter. Perhaps having just caught an acoustic Ripple two months earlier at the Frost (7/9/88) softened the blow. Hooking up with a very cute Muehlenberg College girl a couple days later didn't hurt either...
 #81569  by jeffm725

just watched a video of this night, Bobby was indeed playing the PG-380 and get this: It is a white one. He didnt play the white one very often. I believe the white one was his first pg-380.
By the way, he is so into his midi organ sound that he is playing at the end of OMSN that he totally spaces the scream off of the walk-up at the end. Jerry (sporting a button down Hawaiin shirt) shakes his head in an amused manner.

by the way....TS...at the time I didnt think the Ripple bustout was that huge (compared to say the Box of Rain in 86<the most electric moment of 300 +shows for me, the mothership left the ground, the crowd was so bonkers> ....or the Stephen in 83) it only became so in retrospect because of the lack of proper GD appearances. You ALWAYS got a ripple in all of Jerrys acoustic permeations.
 #81622  by jeffm725

this one is for TS :P

9/3/88 Cap Center (2nd encore from the show that the Thread subject Bird song is from)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_6jHclpEjm0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_6jHclpEjm0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]