#81488  by Grateful.Ed

Once again thinking about changing gear.

I came across a mesa mark 2 combo(not sure if it's an A, B, or C) w/15 inch speaker. looks a little beat up, and the store had a tech coming in to work on it so I can't play it yet. No price on it yet either and the owner will want cash, not even partial trade.

What do you think it's worth? Is a 15 inch speaker the right move....not as many choice for swapping right?

I also saw a guy playing a fender prosonic head recently. He wasn't playing dead, but he definately had a jerry sound going with this.

What do you think about the prosonic? I don't think I've seen one before, so I have no idea what they're about or what a fair price would be.

Thx, Ed.
 #81491  by JonnyBoy

Here is a Mark II B on the Bay: $599

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... =824&kw=lg

The exact type, condition, service records, modifications, blah,,blah is gonna either up or down the price. The Speaker and tubes too.
I am sure they will get a price then go in there with the cash and hold out $200 and count it out in front of him, (assuming they inflate the price) he will probably take it, tell him you plan on going to the other shop to pick one up TODAY. Those are awesome amps. I think tscned plays one, or played one and needs it repaired. maybe he can help you more with its performance.

I have never played through a prosonic, but they look cool, at least the tube versions. You can't go wrong with a vintage amp like a Deluxe or Blues Jr. if you're looking for Jerry...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Prosonic

Good luck dude, JB
 #81502  by tcsned

Love those Mark IIs I did some recording at a buddy's studio with one of those and loved it. I have a Mark III and Mark IV I believe our rhythm guitarist's used to use a Mark II - I think the 15s work better with a brighter guitar like a Start or Tele more than something darker like a LP.
 #81521  by tigerstrat

My (black dot/1.0) Mark III is still serving me well after almost 20 years.

My Yorkville power amp is down for the count (don't ask), so now (budget-less), I am calling up the the Mark III again by running the pre out of my Fender DSR into the FX Return (power in) of the Mk III and its single E120. This setup can't go past 1.5 on the Master w/o waking the neighborhood- the DSR pre volume is MUCH hotter and louder than the Mesas own preamp at comparable settings. Finally did the plate resistor mod on the Showman and it's like sharpening a dull set of knives!
 #81525  by tcsned

tigerstrat wrote:My (black dot/1.0) Mark III is still serving me well after almost 20 years.
Sounds like we got M IIIs at about the same time. I got mine in '87 and used it for close to 1,000 gigs or more - I replaced the preamp tubes once and changed out the EL84s with 6L6s. A few years ago it started popping fuses. I had the varistor surge protector replaced and it chugged along for another year or so and then started again. It is in my pile of stuff I'm finally getting around to taking to my amp guy (and band mate). It is my all time favorite amp and will be happy to have it back.
 #81548  by JonnyBoy

tigerstrat wrote:My (black dot/1.0) Mark III is still serving me well after almost 20 years.

My Yorkville power amp is down for the count (don't ask), so now (budget-less), I am calling up the the Mark III again by running the pre out of my Fender DSR into the FX Return (power in) of the Mk III and its single E120. This setup can't go past 1.5 on the Master w/o waking the neighborhood- the DSR pre volume is MUCH hotter and louder than the Mesas own preamp at comparable settings. Finally did the plate resistor mod on the Showman and it's like sharpening a dull set of knives!
The FAN finally died, then fried? Sorry bro, at least you have a suitable replacement. I loved my plate res/tone stack mods on my twin. It woke it up nicely, sharp knives, yes!
 #81567  by Grateful.Ed

I'm gonna see what this mesa sounds like when it's running. Thx for the input.

How about the Prosonic Head?? I know nothing about these. This guy played the it into a 2x12 cab and I thought he had some 70's jerry zone. It looked like he had a footpedal to switch channels too and it was a much nicer od tone than a HRD.

What's a fair price for these?
 #81651  by sants

Prosonics are sweet amps! They were designed to keep Fender competitive when Mesa began catching on! They have a very good drive channel and are capable of some complex tones! They can go from 60 to 30 watts, class a/b to class a, and tube or solid state rectifier!

I believe the heads do not have reverb! There were also two runs of these amps, custom shop and production. From what I am told they are all hand wired and of the same caliber. Prosonics are sweet amps!

Mesa Mark II's are awesome but I know several people who complained that they are too thin and sterile sounding.

Most Prosonic combos go for $700-$1000. The heads should even be less than that!
I am all about supporting local business but check out guitar centers used gear section and search prosonic for prices! That could give you some room to work with!
 #81767  by Grateful.Ed

thx sants, the mesa is ready to check out in depth but the owner thinks he can get 2500 for it.....way too much for me. I also found out it's a Mark II A with a 15 inch EV speaker.

I'm gonna try to find a prosonic to check out and see if it does it for me. Thx again.