Sell and buy at your own risk...
 #80750  by raisingfreen

Hope all is well. I have for sale a very clean 79 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb with a 12" JBL K120. I also have the original Fender blue label speaker that was original with this amp (oxford, jenson??). Still have the original foot switch for reverb/vibrato control as well. Amp has been extremely well maintained and serviced. All the older usual components have been updated with quality replacements (can provide details after I open it up again) PTP wiring was done right as well, nice and tight and well organized. Not loose and laying all over, very well done. I had gotten some great advice on here about some great additional Jerry type mods that I have decided not to do as I plan on selling this so wanted to keep it as stock as possible. Just thought I would mention this as I had read about a few people looking at a smaller amp such as this along with the 12" JBL K120 which is clean, all original and sounds great.

I will say with Waldo's TPC1 it really has the Jerry vibe/chime just plugging straight in with my 82 Musician. Thanks to Brad and others who gave me the advice on this amp. I will post some pictures soon. Feel free to PM me if interested. I have the appropriate boxes to pack and ship this as well. Hate to sell this amp however, I have a growing family and just don't need this for at home use anymore. If interested make a reasonable offer via PM. I am not in a huge hurry however it would be nice to sell this within the next month or so. Feel free to ask any questions.
DSCN4055.jpg
DSCN4056.jpg
Last edited by raisingfreen on Sun May 30, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #80767  by rugger

I just saw basically this same amp at Buffalo Bros. guitars in Carlsbad--http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com--(they have a pretty impressive collection of instruments)--late seventies silverface with JBL D120. To put some perspective on the value, they were asking $1200.

John in San Diego
 #80772  by tcsned

rugger wrote:I just saw basically this same amp at Buffalo Bros. guitars in Carlsbad--http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com--(they have a pretty impressive collection of instruments)--late seventies silverface with JBL D120. To put some perspective on the value, they were asking $1200.

John in San Diego
That's a pretty cool place. I almost bought a gypsy jazz guitar from them before I got a deal directly from the builder. They have the walnut version of my guitar in stock:
http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/image ... index.html
 #80802  by rugger

That's a pretty cool place. I almost bought a gypsy jazz guitar from them before I got a deal directly from the builder. They have the walnut version of my guitar in stock:
I've seen those, but haven't played them. How does it sound? I'll have to pull one off the wall next time I'm there.

Everything in that place is expensive. Did you get a significant break from the builder?

John in San Diego
 #80805  by tcsned

rugger wrote:
I've seen those, but haven't played them. How does it sound? I'll have to pull one off the wall next time I'm there.

Everything in that place is expensive. Did you get a significant break from the builder?

John in San Diego
It's a canon - the loudest acoustic guitar I've ever played. I love it and highly recommend them they're a lot different than a dreadnaught in feel and tone. I got a great break from the builder - the list price was was about the same as the one buffalo has listed and I think I paid $1,500 w/case. One of the guys I play with had an artist endorsement from him so that helped a lot. The guy who builds them is in San Diego as far as I know - John Kinnard.
 #80872  by raisingfreen

Thanks for the info on the relative value of the Amp. I believe this amp to be in exceptional condition however. The one you mentioned has a JBL D120 so not sure if mine having a (near perfect) K120 makes much difference in value. The amp is very mint and sounds incredible. I am in the process of getting some good photos and will most likely list on ebay as so far I have had no interest listing here.

Just in case anyone is interested I also have a few effects that I will be listing. I will post those in the garage sale section.

Thanks for the information.
Last edited by raisingfreen on Mon May 31, 2010 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #80939  by raisingfreen

RiverRat,
Thanks for the price info. I agree a standard well used 79 Deluxe that is in playable used condition should be around the price listed on Ampwares. I would argue that this one is in exceptionally good condition and has been well maintained and has had the necessary updates/replacements that most used Silverface's when purchased used need to have done in order to be used effectively. ie, updated caps, resistors, tubes, tightly re-wired correctly, etc... I have seen quite a few silverfaces that are a virtual rats nest inside and just not done right (loose wirewraps, leakage from parts, etc...), have seen some blackfaces the same way. They all need to be maintained appropriately to get the best results. I can post some pics of the inside as well as soon so long as there is some interest. Oh and this one has a JBL K120 that is in amazing condition. I imagine the price you mentioned is for a stock Silverface deluxe with original speaker? When I sell any item such as this (which is rare) I always provide full disclosure and make sure the buyer completely understands what they are getting. If this is only really worth $850 as is then I simply will not sell it and wait a few years. Then again items are only worth what someone is willing to pay. That is why I had asked if someone is interested to simply make an offer via PM. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Are you interested? If so, send me a PM so we can discuss.
 #80954  by raisingfreen

Pete B. wrote:Do you ever use the Line-Out jack as a Pre-Amp tap to a higher power amp?
I had heard about doing this but have never tried it. I assume that the line out just uses the preamp stage only but I imagine the schematic would need to be looked at to make sure. Not sure whether the preamp stage of the deluxe reverb is as desirable for this purpose (vs. say the SMS Classic). This amp seems to make more sense for a all in one smaller scale solution to carrying a twin and or a pre-amp plus power amp. I would use a pre-amp input if it had one however. I have done that on older solid state (Lab Series) amps with great success. I used a tube Pre-amp into the preamp input or "effects return" jack on a lab series L5 and it sounded great.

I just don't see the point of lugging the whole deluxe around if you plugging it into a power amp and only using it as a pre. You would then have to use a cab or send the power amp signal back to the Deluxe speakers. Mite as well just go the SMS>PowerAmp>Cab route and be all set. Or just carry the Deluxe and be done with it.

By the way I did learn that the Deluxe Reverb only had this "line out" feature from 79-80 as I recall. Older ones do not have this. I did test the signal to a direct box>board and it sounded ok. It would need a cab sim or just maybe use for recording direct using virtual cab sims on the computer. Wonder if that signal could be sent directly to another amp as well? I am assuming that is not a good idea.
 #80960  by Pete B.

I briefly had a '79 Deluxe via a buy/sell/trade deal, but never used the Line Out. Yours looks super clean. Nice.
Looking back, I think I could have had a nice option of using either the Deluxe as a combo amp for 22w gigs, or, by only adding a power amp to the equation you could turn your Deluxe into a 100w 1x12" with the Pre-amp and Speaker already mounted in the Deluxe cab.
'Wish I woulda visited this idea back then.
 #80961  by raisingfreen

Pete B. wrote:by only adding a power amp to the equation you could turn your Deluxe into a 100w 1x12" with the Pre-amp and Speaker already mounted in the Deluxe cab
I would make sure that the speaker could handle this in this scenario. Stock Deluxe speakers cant handle a 100 watts as far as I know. I would guess you would need a minimum of a JBL of some type or a even higher wattage speaker using a 100 watt power amp running into a 1x12. Yikes!!
 #81246  by raisingfreen

Thank you to all who commented or who had ideas for this amp. Do to the times I need to sell this. Before I put this up on eBay I wanted to make a final offer to anyone here who may be interested in the amp. It is really a fantastic amp in great condition and really perfect for doing Jerry/Dead/Jam type stuff. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I will do my best to answer any specifics, other wise it is a pretty straight forward very clean 1979 Silverface Deluxe Reverb with a JBL K120. Original Speaker would be included in deal if wanted. Has been well maintained and could be modified to taste. Outside of general updates to old items, caps and one pot, etc... it is all original. Power Transformer is still perfect but could be replaced to get even more cleans as well as the mods suggested by Waldo and others in a previous post.

So if anyone here wants this to add to their arsenal the asking price is $1200. Buyer pays shipping however I will ship the original Fender speaker (if wanted) separately at my cost. Also includes the original footswitch (for Reverb & Vibrato). Paypal could be used as well for payment if that helps. I will box up nice and safe and have insurance on the shipment as well.

If interested please contact me via PM.