#80278  by hogan

RiverRat wrote:After the past weekend...

I'd buy an AxeFX... and rent Vic to play it!

Nobody has ever slid in a filled a spot so nicely.

Stop killing yourselves with analog... embrace the digital world!
That would be too easy. If you're not suffering, you're not trying.

RiverRat check your PM's.
 #80294  by hogan

RiverRat wrote:
I'm sick of working with guys who have gear that looks like their last stint was playing with Fat Albert's junkyard band!

I don't know, dude got some pretty compelling tone from what looks like a brass headboard. Just sayin. Headboards were better in the 70's.
 #80305  by keirweir

hogan wrote:
RiverRat wrote:
I'm sick of working with guys who have gear that looks like their last stint was playing with Fat Albert's junkyard band!

I don't know, dude got some pretty compelling tone from what looks like a brass headboard. Just sayin. Headboards were better in the 70's.
Hahahah :lol: YES!!!!!!!!!!!
 #80312  by mijknahs

If I could only have one pedal for an early 80's tone (and not a Mutron), it would have to be a distortion pedal such as a good sounding MXR Distortion + (or maybe a Boss OD-2 or similar). Just think of the songs and effects the songs use. Distortion is by far the most common effect. Next is the envelope but not nearly as many as distortion. Phaser on Candyman, NFA. Octave is only in what - Stranger? No one has told me when Jerry used the analog delay besides Space in the early 80's. I don't hear it.

For an envelope filter to replace a Mutron, I heard very good things about the EH Enigma. It's advertised for bass guitar but it is like a Mutron on the Jerry settings. Next choice would be one of the Q-Tron pedals. I have an old Mutron and one of the early Q-Trons (I prefer the Mutron) but I heard the Q-Tron+ and the Micro Q-Tron are better (never tried those).
 #80315  by JonnyBoy

I agree Jim, Distortion is the #1 pedal that defines your tone. There are many out there and many are different prices. I think the stuff we use now will be the "Vintage tone" everyone will be raving about in the future.... So many choices now, we are actually better off. You can find the older tones, if you know what they should sound like, and test a bunch. Guitar Center ain't gonna cut it either, they only have a boss display for easy testing. This is a great place to get ideas if you read through the posts and weigh the info....

BB--- Is that a Mutron clone? That pedal looks cool, that's what I'm talking about the good tones are out there and all, you have to find them..... Tell us more about that pedal... Sweet pick guard too...
 #80318  by brutusbuck45

JonnyBoy wrote: BB--- Is that a Mutron clone? That pedal looks cool, that's what I'm talking about the good tones are out there and all, you have to find them..... Tell us more about that pedal... Sweet pick guard too...
That would be too sweet if that was some sort of 'Tron clone. I think the dude said it a DIY Rat clone. I copped the pics from a Harmony Central, Steam Punk thread.

Some cool stuff...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... 436&page=2
 #80440  by tigerstrat

This is the one...
 #80441  by JonnyBoy

tigerstrat wrote:This is the one...

:lol: I could use one of those..... To enhance my Bob Weir Gong solo's (I still laugh at that thread with the gift idea)..... If you keep being funny like this, I will have to refrain from drinking liquids near my computer due to spitting them out in a burst of laughter.....or stop reading your posts!
 #80449  by Pete B.

'Just me but... I can't agree with Distortion being number 1 in effect importance (although I do agree it is the #1 effect used as a "talent" knob in general :roll: ).
imho, Anything played with Distortion can be played more effectively/impressively (to me at least) "perfectly clean and pristine".
I can't say that about the effect of the MuIII (or clone there of). This effect defines it's own Jerry signiture.
Given the choice of distortion or clean, I'll take clean, Dist or MuIII I'd take the Mu (no talent knob in my rig Bay-bee!... :smile:).
 #80466  by jmfranc

What is the clone? Who makes it?

Speaking of distortion - can you give a short list of songs with the distortion used a lot?