#80332  by Grateful.Ed

I have a Les Paul Classic and usually play it through a Vox AC30CC. I've used it to get some chimey Bobby rhythm, but usually use for blues or rock, and always with my Vox or a hot rodded Crate V15.

These guitars have really hot pickups. Ceramic 496R and 500T's. I've never really bonded with this guitar through my DRRI in the past, and use my strat with this amp for Dead/JGB stuff.

I've tweaked my DRRI recently and thought I'd try the Classic with it. Played some JGB and was surprised how much I like it. To me it sounded more 90's Jerry, but I haven't spent a lot of time yet trying to dial in different tones. I'm also using a Fulltone GT-500, so I've got a lot of dialing to do to see what else I can find.

Who's using a stock Les Paul Classic in their Jerry Quest? Any comments on what sound you were going for (60's/70's/80's/90's) and which pup and tone setting worked for you. Thx.
 #80337  by JonnyBoy

Chuck is right, we are so lucky to have a wide variety of grateful dead tones to choose from and all play live well in bands. I took my les paul routed out the middle and put in a super II and kept the two classic les paul sounding pkups PAF's, so I have a great allman brothers/Jerry Garcia axe that nails them both in one guitar. I think to get that modern Jerry sound a super II or similar split coil is a must, I would have never thought that either until I heard it and I felt a few more steps closer. I still think technique is more important than gear for sounding Jerry, so if you make Jerry tones with any guitar, then you are doing the technique right and the gear is the fine tuning......For years I played Dead tunes with my les paul and I could pull some Jerry with it in the middle with the toggle. you have to use your amp to work the sound the best you can, but its possible!! Plus, without much effort or need for more gear you are nailing the late 60's early 70's tone with it like chuck said.....Peace Jboy
 #80344  by Arnold's Carnival

not a les paul classic but an R7 Gold top with WCR Filmores. Definitely can get the early GD tones goin. +1 the middle position also provides some useful Jer-type tones.

i wonder what one of those 70s Les Pauls with the low impedance pickups would do?