#80204  by jdsmodulus

Lets not forget the ADA 2fx! this is essential Jerry. I use it for all kinds of Dead related tunes. They can be found for 100-250 range. I know its not a pedal but for the price range, it can be included here simply that even a Haz Mutron will cost you 250 or more! 2 cents.
 #80209  by tigerstrat

jdsmodulus wrote:a Haz Mutron will cost you 250 or more
250?? Hard time believing this! Esp. when you can kick so much more ass for a lot le$$, with the Qtron options, the EMMA, or (more recently) the SubDecay Proteus. Also been seeing more envelope follower entries over the last year or so... most of which are well below the 250 mark.
 #80221  by tcsned

I would go Mutron. I went through a bunch of others including the Q-Tron and have had issues with all of them. The Q-Tron is easily the second best and about $100 cheaper. The Mutron is a bit pricey but not outrageous. I did change to a guitar with Joe Barden humbuckers about the same time and it's got pretty hot output which these envelope filters seem to respond well too - that might have been as much of a factor as the effect.
 #80230  by jeffm725

tcsned wrote:I would go Mutron. I went through a bunch of others including the Q-Tron and have had issues with all of them. The Q-Tron is easily the second best and about $100 cheaper. The Mutron is a bit pricey but not outrageous. I did change to a guitar with Joe Barden humbuckers about the same time and it's got pretty hot output which these envelope filters seem to respond well too - that might have been as much of a factor as the effect.

A qtron only 100 dollars cheaper than a Mutron?! I want to find out where you shop for original Mutron's because you are suggesting they can be had for 250 dollars (a new Qtron is 150). I have not seen an original Mutron in working condition for 250 dollars in at least 7 years!
Try 500 dollars plus now for ones in good condition. I have seen ones that don't even work go for over 300 dollars!
 #80231  by tcsned

jeffm725 wrote: A qtron only 100 dollars cheaper than a Mutron?! I want to find out where you shop for original Mutron's because you are suggesting they can be had for 250 dollars (a new Qtron is 150). I have not seen an original Mutron in working condition for 250 dollars in at least 7 years!
Try 500 dollars plus now for ones in good condition. I have seen ones that don't even work go for over 300 dollars!
I am talking about a new one not vintage. As Pete posted:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... ONIII-LIST

I had an original back in the early 80s and like an idiot I tossed it out because it probably had a bad input jack or something else minor. I think I paid $50 for it - they weren't that collectible then. Went through a bunch of others trying to get that sound and when they reissued them I got one and couldn't tell the difference from the one I had years ago. Granted, 15 years or more had passed so my memory can't be totally trusted.
 #80232  by jeffm725

tcsned wrote:
jeffm725 wrote: A qtron only 100 dollars cheaper than a Mutron?! I want to find out where you shop for original Mutron's because you are suggesting they can be had for 250 dollars (a new Qtron is 150). I have not seen an original Mutron in working condition for 250 dollars in at least 7 years!
I am talking about a new one not vintage. As Pete posted:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... ONIII-LIST

I had an original back in the early 80s and like an idiot I tossed it out because it probably had a bad input jack or something else minor. I think I paid $50 for it - they weren't that collectible then. Went through a bunch of others trying to get that sound and when they reissued them I got one and couldn't tell the difference from the one I had years ago. Granted, 15 years or more had passed so my memory can't be totally trusted.

Ah..OK...........I knew something did not add up there. So your position is that a Haz Labs Mutron is better than a Qtron? Not my personal finding or opinion, but everyone has differing opinions (and is certainly entitled to them) on this particular topic anyway. Some swear by the Emma, some by Qtron, some by the Ibanez/Maxon Af-9.........the haz Mutron has not traditionally received very many positive reviews in Jerry gear land, but if it works for you, that is great!
 #80233  by tcsned

jeffm725 wrote:Ah..OK...........I knew something did not add up there. So your position is that a Haz Labs Mutron is better than a Qtron? Not my personal finding or opinion, but everyone has differing opinions (and is certainly entitled to them) on this particular topic anyway. Some swear by the Emma, some by Qtron, some by the Ibanez/Maxon Af-9.........the haz Mutron has not traditionally received very many positive reviews in Jerry gear land, but if it works for you, that is great!
Indeed it is. The Q was better than others I tried but the Haz Labs Mutron is a lot closer to my old Mutron than the Q. Everyone's ears hear differently. I know inside it isn't the same and all that.
 #80237  by Pete B.

[Knowing what I know now]... I would say get a MuTron III and be done with your search.
Know full well it may cost $500-$750 by the time you get it rehab'd, new power supply, etc.
Use yer Ol' Lady's credit card to PayPal Ebay if you have to, but really we're talking a coupla days or couple weeks work, or a couple good paying [wedding?] gigs.
If we start thinking of this as alot of money we're fucked from the start.
No other pedal will hold it's value like an original MuTron.
You can't lose.
 #80243  by jdsmodulus

Nice pic Jedi! while we are talking wah, which is better, Digitech Whammy (new) or Digitech XP100 (old) Im looking for that 94-95 Jerry tone, think Corrina, Broken Arrow.
 #80258  by JonnyBoy

I agree that an original Mutron is a good investment if you have the money and you are a gigging musician, or play in bands frequently to make it worth while. I guess it could be personally satisfying in your bedroom every once in a while, but for that a Qtron would suffice. You CAN ALWAYS sell your working original mutron for ATLEAST what you paid for it, something not always easily done with gear.

The Qtron+ is you're next best bet for a workable professional tone. The Emma will suffice, but why spend more? I also think the Qtron+ has a better reverse sweep from what I have heard. That Boost function is cool too once you learn how to set your pedal and utilize its subtle tonal effect. With weaker pickups that boost can add too much gain and volume. I just got my "Jerrypaul" finished with 36th annv D'marz PAF for the neck and bridge and a Super II in the middle. All wired exactly like Waldo's interpretation of Rosebud's wiring, which we all know to be correct!!! Sounds Great!!!!!! I'll try to get some pics up soon....
 #80267  by JonnyBoy

Anyone try this one out yet?
Electro~Harmonix LPB2ube:
The LPB 2ube is the velvety entranceway your instrument has been waiting for. Much like its name suggests, this line-level preamp utilizes two tubes to deliver optimum gain while remaining quiet and transparent. Offering amazing definition and warmth that you wouldn't expect to find in a foot pedal, the LPB 2ube applies a full 300 volts to the tube plates so you get total performance and power without compromising your tone quality.

In either stereo or dual mono mode, the LPB 2ube offers numerous applications. Two warm and full frequency inputs and outputs, as well as the potential to gang the I/Os, make for a clean pre-amp stage with both a master volume and master drive controls. A highly adjustable and sweet-sounding guitar drive can be used for either recording or as an amazing front end to non-master volume vintage amps.