Sell and buy at your own risk...
 #79823  by dleonard

Come July I'm going to be doing some backpacking in Europe. I'll be staying in hostels and probably not going to be able to lock stuff up most of the time. BUT, I couldn't imagine going a month with nothing to play music with. So, anyone have any recommendations for a mini or traveler guitar?

I know those mini Martins and baby Taylors are, IMO, terrific smaller scale guitars. However, I have to take into consideration that ...1.)I can't afford to spend alot of $ on a guitar right now, and 2.) While some places may provide a locker of some sort, some also won't , so I have to assume that there is a possibility it may be lost, stolen, banged around, etc.
 #79870  by jackr

The martin backpacker is a great size but sounds like shit.
 #79871  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

I have a baby Taylor that is the bomb, that being said, I'd be pretty bummed if someone stole it. Maybe not the best option if you don't trust the places at which you'll be staying, or the people that stay there.
 #79874  by ebick

I have a Martin backpacker that I am looking to sell........want to get a Baby Taylor :)

So, if you want a MBP at a lesser price........
 #79921  by Utah Joe

If you leave your guitar unattended in a European youth hostel you can count on having it stolen. It's a drag, but that's the reality of international travel. On the bright side this would be an excellent time to take up the harmonica.
 #79953  by crazyfingerssotm

Hey there...
You probably want an acoustic, but...

I just got Ministar Castar for $149.00 at amazon. It is a standard size neck with the pickup arrangements of a Strat (they have other models too), and it fits in a carry case that will go in the overhead of an airplane. It has these two rods that attach and detach to make a sort of body for a strap and a leg rest. You can get a little headphone amp for cheap and you are good to go. It takes a little getting used to but I think for the problem it solves for travel it is pretty cool. I did a lot of looking into travel guitars and for the money it was my choice. That Martin backpacker is cool too, but I thought I would throw in this electric.

Good luck!
 #79955  by Billbbill

Also take a look at the washburn rover.

I've got vids up at youtube where I use it and the martin backpacker - I like them both - very different sound

here's my eyes of the world vid with the rover

And here's an oldie - The Althea intro I did a while back with the martin

I mostly use the rover these days mainly because I can get to a few extra frets up high on the neck. The Martin sound seems fuller to me, than the rover, but the rover is more 'playable'.

Not sure you should bring whatever you get on your trip - the more you like it the more you're gonna stress over possibly losing it - I like the harmonica idea :smile:
 #79956  by Grateful Dad

I agree harmonica is a great idea. If you get the main keys (C, G, D, A, E) you can do straight harp songs or blues (G blues with the C harp, A blues with the D harp, etc.)

The world definitley needs more harp players, plus if you find yourself in Texas in a boxcar surrounded by hobos you'll fit in perfectly.....

Have fun on your trip and be safe!

Grateful Dad

#79960  by dleonard

Thanks alot for the good wishes!

Now I'm leaning more towards getting some sort of mini toy guitar for <$50. Something that if it gets to be too much of a hassle, I can just ditch it.

Essentially, I just don't want my fingers to suck when I get back home. Gig like 2 days after i return
 #79966  by jackr

a mini toy guitar will sound and feel like shit and you wont play it. The martin backpaker and the washburn are both $100 to $150 on ebay.

I would definitely check with ebick about his backpacker.