#78080  by playingdead

piccard wrote:i have been doing some research to put together a rig to get some of the tones Bobby got out of his gear. I am using an Axefx modeling unit to get there.
Right now i am concentrating on the ue 400- i figured i would try to get the phaser figured out first as it seems to be Weirs favorite affect. does anyone have clips of there rig using a ue400 that i could use to dial in? ive listened to many recordings-but none are straight guitar and effect - or even point me in the right direction?
I did some experimenting with that. There's a belief that in that era Weir's phaser was modified so a Cutler built pedal (like a volume pedal) controlled the sweep of the phaser instead of having it cycle back and forth. That sweep could also be combined with a wah at the same time. My feeling is in that era (79-80 specifically), the phaser was always turned on but never sweeping, just left in the spot where he liked it.

This is easy to accomplish on the AxeFX, just set up a phaser block with the right number of stages (8 stages is what the Ibanez had if I'm not mistaken) and assign the sweep to an expression pedal. Then, you can rock the pedal back and forth as you are playing to find the sweet spot.

I did it here, I think it gets close toward the end of the NFA clip.

http://www.playingdead.net/nfaphase.mp3

http://www.playingdead.net/wharfphase.mp3

The rest of that AxeFX patch was just a Mesa Boogie clean amp block, a little compression and a cabinet block using a custom IR of a pair JBL K-110s in an open back Hard Truckers cabinet.

Listen to the first minute or two of this He's Gone (about 30 seconds in) and you can hear him using the phaser sweep and wah together. If you also assign a wah block to the same expression pedal as the phaser sweep, you can do this easily in the AxeFX too. The trick is to modify the phaser and wah parameters so the range of the pedal is where you want it, as there is a lot of variation available and I think the range of his pedal was fairly narrow on the phaser side of things.

http://ia360607.us.archive.org/2/items/ ... 04_vbr.mp3
Last edited by playingdead on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #78081  by piccard

thanks...8 stages is exactly what i was looking for.
I picked up those JBL 110's- they sound sweet. i've got some time today- gonna dig in and tweak the phaser and wah. I saw that he mixed the two together- i'm guessing the best way to do that in the axefx is to start the phase at 0% and asend while the wah starts at 100 and decends.
 #78082  by playingdead

Set the phaser's depth to zero, and attach a modifier to the frequency and assign it to the expression pedal, you're good to go.

Post some samples and the patch you come up with, too! You're playing through my personal HT cabinet and K110s. How cool is that?

#78084  by piccard

nice set up.
Thanks for those IR's- very nice, i use them all the time.
Did Weir pick up any compression using the ue400?
From http://www.guitargeek.com/rigview/614/
it looks like he picked up time based effects pre eq, then modulation effects post eq with compression?limiting following the modulation using the Ashley. Did he compress at the ue400 and limit with the Ashley to keep the modulation under control?
 #78091  by Laytonco

Piccard, please let me know how you set the UE400, especially the compressor please. I play Bobby as well and have just about everything he ever used....collecting dust in my studio. I'm a 72 kind of guy and have a really hard time putting anything between my guitar and amp. Even the UE400 by itself seems to suck tone at least a little.

Peace,

Gil
 #78096  by piccard

Laytonco wrote:Piccard, please let me know how you set the UE400, especially the compressor please. I play Bobby as well and have just about everything he ever used....collecting dust in my studio. I'm a 72 kind of guy and have a really hard time putting anything between my guitar and amp. Even the UE400 by itself seems to suck tone at least a little.

Peace,

Gil
Hey Gil,
I'll do my best. I dont have a ue400 so i am going to work something out with in my axefx.
I;m scratching my head a little- without scematics or the unit, it's hard to tell if the effects are run in paralell or series with some kind of mix control. To be honest, i havent even found a picture close enough to show me the controls.
but- it would make sense to me that the compression on the ue400 is a series rout with the modulation effects beiing mixed in paralell. can anyone confirm?
Did Bobby actually pick up his overdrive from the ue400? I read somewhere he used a TS808.

Mike