#77831  by JonnyBoy

Don't know the boogie, if I had to guess a Mark II and those have to be JBL's in those cabs, they all look identical. I don't think Gauss had metal caps even then.
 #77843  by JonnyBoy

It was a modded Mark I amp in a head cab. The speakers are JBL's, after a little research.... hope that helps. Have no idea if that was a regular thing, never been to a late 70's show to notice. I'll keep my eyes open to see on pic sites...
 #77845  by FEBBDAYBAND

Hey,

The Mark I name was created when they brought out the Mark II. If that's a photo from '77 it would just make it a "Boogie" later to be called the Mark I (must have been one of the first available Eq sections - not a surprise - 'anything for the Grateful Dead'). ;)

I own a pair of Gauss speakers that do indeed have the same aluminum dust cap as JBL's. They're also very similarly constructed. Monster magnates! Maybe Glenn from HD can help out here - a few years ago I asked his advice about my Gauss speakers and here's an excerpt of what he had to say in an email:

hey bud...

alright here we go...bobby used gauss 2840 speakers (sorry about the dyxlexia on the earlier posts i got my 8s and 4s mixed up) im sure of this because i have a pair sitting in my studio still in the original box that has the shipping label to the grateful dead from leo's music in oakland where they got most of their gear. i got these from parish.

you will get a good tone out of using yours it just wont be all that close to garcia's. which is ok, just dont expect to get that crystal clean tone jerry had. bobby likes his shit dirty and breaking up. different sound but still nice.
 #77850  by mkaufman

I used to own Gauss - way too heavy. I think they came about later in the 70's and he was probably using JBL's in '77?

So, original Boogie (Mark I). Damn - I used to own the same one with reverb, EQ and effects loop! I hate when I come full circle and wish I had something I used to own.

Anyway...when I used mine, I used the clean channel (#2). I found channel #1 was too dirty for Weir, however, using channel 2 without a power amp wasn't loud enough. Maybe I needed to boost the signal before going into the Boogie?

Any idea if the Boogie was stock?

Any idea what the box is just to the left of the input jack? All the pics I can find with the Boogie had this box. Looks like his guitar plugged into this box and then into channel 2. I'm not sure if the AD230 is before the amp or in the Boogie effects loop.

mk
Last edited by mkaufman on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #77863  by JonnyBoy

Yes Gauss did make speakers with the dust cap, but all I could find in that style was 10" and around late 1978. Is the one you have a 12"? I could be wrong! I guess you are right about the naming of the amp, and it could have been a prototype of the Mark II since it debuted to the public in mid 1978. If he didn't call it a Mark I by that time, what did he call it since he was ready to name the Mark II? He had them on the market by then (MarkI) Maybe not named specifically "Mark I" but it has to be today since there is a Mark II, III, IV etc... I am sure and agree, like all other equipment they owned, that was not bought at the local guitar shop in Hartford before the show. I would assume, since they were in close relation to the people at Boogie, It was not a mass produced amp and it could only be named by what they had going on at the time. That would either be a chassis from a Mark I and II, no matter when they decided the actual name. By the pictures all of the speakers They all look identical, I'd put money on the JBL guess, But again I could be wrong.

MK- dude, I know, if I only knew what my dad's old vintage stuff would fetch these days when he passed it down to me, pus I had the goods all along. All late 50's and early 60's fender & Gibson, that I sold pawn shop style to the guitar store to get my AC/DC Kiss Alice Cooper sound. Even that 80's stuff would have been worth money now. I love reading on Ebay, "Vintage 1987 EHX Muff pedal". Vintage? I guess so. Ah the ignorance of youth. His 58' Fender Strat was super beat up at the time and had stickers, I thought it wasn't worth AS much but it was still considered vintage then and played like a dream. Who knew that people would actually pay Fender an extra $500 to drag the guitar down the street behind their car to give it that look?
 #77869  by tigerstrat

Since we aren't in the late 70's anymore, we can just call it a Mk I. Mk II would have two switchable channels...
 #77872  by JonnyBoy

tigerstrat wrote:Since we aren't in the late 70's anymore, we can just call it a Mk I. Mk II would have two switchable channels...
A much easier way to say it, agreed. :lol:
 #104971  by jeffm725

mkaufman wrote:
Anyway...when I used mine, I used the clean channel (#2). I found channel #2 was too dirty for Weir, however, using channel 2 without a power amp wasn't loud enough. Maybe I needed to boost the signal before going into the Boogie?

mk
MK, If you used Input 2 on the Boogie Mark 1, and it wasn't loud enough, there was something wrong with your Boogie!!! By the way, that is how the original Mark 1's had two channels, there was no Channel Switching back then. If you wanted the Hot "Santana" deal you plugged into Input 1, if you wanted pretty much a pristine Fender Clean tone, (and these NAILED that Fender Clean) you used Input 2.
When the Mark 2 came along in late 78, you could then get a footswitch (or pull a pot) for channel switching.

Boogie's are stupid loud. even the 2 x 6L6 60 watt versions are just about as loud as an 80 Watt Twin. Randall Smith knew how to Milk those tubes for all they had!
If you had a 4 x 6L6 100 watter, forget it...
My mark 2a starts peeling paint at Master Volume at 3! And that is the clean channel. If I add the Gain Master to it I havent been able to get that past 1.5!
 #104974  by mkaufman

I have a MK I reissue head - no problem with channel 2 volume. I can't remember details about my original head - so long ago...

btw...just so everyone's clear, channel 1 cascades to channel 2, so channel 2 settings do affect tone when using channel 1.

mk