A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#76448  by pappypgh
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:23 pm
:hd:

:lol:

Thanks Jedi.
 #76456  by jdsmodulus
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:42 pm
Im thinking the difference is Jer hits the note of F# while Bob is in chords there. It could be heard either way when they play together. This happens alot where Jerry just touches on a riff or line and Bob plays half a chord or hits in the chord frame.
 #76457  by Billbbill
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:44 pm
I'm in the F#m crowd - at the moment 8) . As a matter of fact I pretty much riff over it and I don't think jerry takes a stand at all on either the C#m or the F#m as far as the 3rd is concerned as he riffs the 1-5-1 power chord arpeggio over this part - as far as I can hear anyway. I'll tab it in a bit.
 #76459  by Billbbill
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:57 pm
(/) Slide Up (\) Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

--------A-------------------C#m----F#m------E
E|----------------------------------------------
B|--1/2----------------------------------------
G|--1/2-------------------------6------------1--
D|--1/2-----------2--4-------6-----------4--2--
A|-------0--2--4--------2/4-----------4-----2--
E|-----------------------------------2--------0--
http://www.guitartabcreator.com
 #76460  by Billbbill
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:00 pm
def an F# at the end run after the modulation up to B

I wander around...
--F#--E--D--A--E-----B--A--E-B

figured I'd start another debate!!! :P
 #76462  by Billbbill
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:19 pm
Tennessee Jedi wrote:The way Bill has the F# tabbed its not minor or major right ?
:?:
Correct - as I said, as I here jg riffin there sounds like he's not playing the minor or major 3rd, but the 1-5-1 power chord arpeggio for both the C#m and the F#m - as I said I still think they're both minor chords though.
 #76465  by pappypgh
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:43 pm
Billbbill wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:The way Bill has the F# tabbed its not minor or major right ?
:?:
Correct - as I said, as I here jg riffin there sounds like he's not playing the minor or major 3rd, but the 1-5-1 power chord arpeggio for both the C#m and the F#m - as I said I still think they're both minor chords though.
Please put on a good quality Brent-era version of this song. The major 3rd is there, clear as a bell, in every version I listened to (15, at least) and I'm talking about JG's guitar. I'm no dummy. It's there.

Billbbill wrote:def an F# at the end run after the modulation up to B

I wonder around...

Looking forward to trying that at home!
 #76467  by jefkahn
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:12 pm
strumminsix wrote:
Sorry, Jeff, I've mentioned this a few times but forget not everyone here today was around then.

Close, barre the 4th fret.
C shape for the E
Am shape for the C#m
Dm shape for the F#m
G shape for the B

It's useful in many GD tunes like: LL Rain, BT Wind, Deal, BE Women, etc...
Thanks! Now if I could only master the G-shape barre chord...
 #76468  by mttourpro
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:15 pm
Billbbill wrote:def an F# at the end run after the modulation up to B

I wonder around...

Ironically, we had a little discussion about that part as well. The RUKind tab shows an A instead of your F# and we also decided on A last night after a brief reveiw.
 #76470  by tigerstrat
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:38 pm
http://www.archive.org/details/gd83-04- ... sbeok.shnf
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1983-0 ... eok.flac16

Sounds to me like he is doing pretty close to as Bill described. I just don't hear an A#, although it wouldn't sound terribly wrong if you wanted to throw it in.
 #76472  by pappypgh
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:12 pm
 #76476  by pappypgh
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:38 pm
DenverEd wrote:I love that there is a heated discussion about the minutea of this one passage. Where else are people so obsessed about getting it just exactly perfect?
:lol:

I just want to make sure Tourpro & I are going to play the same thing onstage. If he plays F#m & I play F# major, it's gonna suck (worse!). :lol:
 #76482  by Billbbill
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:22 pm
That first link at the 1:25 mark has it pretty clearly. I don't hear a 3rd - minor or major. Root, 5th, root. Pretty much like I tabbed. Not sure how you're either right or a dummy - I never accused you of being dumb. In the immortal words of King Arthur in Monty Python and the Holy Grail - "We'll call it a draw"

Interesting version as well, sliding so quickly into scarlet.