#34638  by SpaceYrface43

I generally hang around Dmaj for this one. Try it out see what you think.

#34644  by myoung6923

Since the song is in the key of A, I tend to think of it as A mixolydian. Same thing as Dmaj though.
 #64626  by sack the wack

myoung6923 wrote:Since the song is in the key of A, I tend to think of it as A mixolydian. Same thing as Dmaj though.
Can any of you theory guys explain to me how this works? i see how Dmaj or Amix work especially w/ the G and Bm chords. But how is it the song is in Key of A? Obviously you want to lay off the G# around those two chords but i guess that means there's 'wiggle' room when around the A,E,C#m? Is it because the G and Bm are really just passing chords? i do that signature riff a little different than the tab. i just feel some need to understand this stuff better so i can relate it to other songs.
Also, i could use a little help on the outro. Can't seem to quite get it. Got to plug harder.

In general, i think this tune is an example of Garcia-Hunter at their best. The whole Wake of Flood thing i call the 'Earth' album with Eyes, WR. etc. Might have mentioned , do this acoustically with my old lady in a slow gospel manner. She plays fiddle, guitar and mando altho she is actually a keyboard player.
Thanx fellows
Pax
 #64629  by tigerstrat

sack the wack wrote:
myoung6923 wrote:Since the song is in the key of A, I tend to think of it as A mixolydian. Same thing as Dmaj though.
Can any of you theory guys explain to me how this works? i see how Dmaj or Amix work especially w/ the G and Bm chords. But how is it the song is in Key of A? Obviously you want to lay off the G# around those two chords but i guess that means there's 'wiggle' room when around the A,E,C#m? Is it because the G and Bm are really just passing chords? i do that signature riff a little different than the tab. i just feel some need to understand this stuff better so i can relate it to other songs.
Also, i could use a little help on the outro. Can't seem to quite get it. Got to plug harder.

In general, i think this tune is an example of Garcia-Hunter at their best. The whole Wake of Flood thing i call the 'Earth' album with Eyes, WR. etc. Might have mentioned , do this acoustically with my old lady in a slow gospel manner. She plays fiddle, guitar and mando altho she is actually a keyboard player.
Thanx fellows
Pax
If you are using A mixo, that's generally going to point to a Key of D.
 #74159  by tcsned

The sheet music has in in A major (3#) because the intro has the G# as does the chorus. While the verses are in D major or A mixolydian, the choruses are in A major. I think the rule of thumb is that the key signature is where the song starts.

I also play this one (as I think the Dead did as well) using a G major in the last chorus after the second break:
D / / / | A / / / |
Ask the time baby I don't know
E / / / | D / / / |
Come back later, gonna let it show.

A / / / | G / / / | D / / / |
I say row Jimmy row,
Gonna get there, I don't know,
A / / / | E / / / | D / / / |
Seems a common way to go,
A E A
Get out and row, row, row, row, row.

I think it sweetens the tune.
 #74160  by myoung6923

tcsned wrote:I also play this one (as I think the Dead did as well) using a G major in the last chorus after the second break:
D / / / | A / / / |
Ask the time baby I don't know
E / / / | D / / / |
Come back later, gonna let it show.

I say row Jimmy row,
Gonna get there, I don't know,
A / / / | E / / / | D / / / |
Seems a common way to go,
A E A
Get out and row, row, row, row, row.