#68471  by enardi

The other day I came across the partial amazing quality sbd of this show from Terrapin>Playin>Drums>Warf Rat>Playin, in my copy of the taper section, as this is one of the 3 shows from 77 that I do not own becuase of the quality of the sbd on archive.org, I was wondering is anybody knew if the rest of the show circulates in a similarly pristine sounding recording? By the way that section of the show that I do own is pretty mindblowing stuff.
 #71875  by Smelodies

Good question. The April '77 setlists are chockful, superior to much of post-May '77.
 #71883  by bodiddley

It's a bitch trying to get those few remaining '77 shows on a good board ain't it? This show sure has a few gems in it. No doubt it would be a more popular show if a good source was available. Do you remember which Taper's section that's from? Had to be a while ago before they slammed the door shut on downloads I'm guessin'
 #72466  by enardi

I have no idea exactly which tapers section its from. Although it has been quite a while since; becuase as you said it was from before they closed the door on downloading for it. I remeber finding a DVD cd which contained exactly 226 songs or portions of shows on it all from the tapers section (great find) at a friend of mines house probly several years ago so its relatively old stuff.
 #72470  by prephippie

enardi wrote:The other day I came across the partial amazing quality sbd of this show from Terrapin>Playin>Drums>Warf Rat>Playin, in my copy of the taper section, as this is one of the 3 shows from 77 that I do not own becuase of the quality of the sbd on archive.org, I was wondering is anybody knew if the rest of the show circulates in a similarly pristine sounding recording? By the way that section of the show that I do own is pretty mindblowing stuff.
I have that entire show in SBD. I wouldn't call it pristine - it's a little muddy for a SBD, but very listenable. I can do a B&P if anyone wants it.

Here's the info on my copy:
Grateful Dead
Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ

4/25/77

SBD:MR>?>DAT>CDR

CD 1
Set 1
1 New Minglewood Blues
2 Deal
3 Mama Tried
4 They Love Each Other
5 Looks Like Rain
6 Peggy-O/
7 Lazy Lightning>
8 Supplication
9 Ship Of Fools

CD 2
1 Estimated Prophet
2 Brown-Eyed Women
3 The Music Never Stopped

Set Two
4 Scarlet Begonias>
5 Fire On The Mountain
6 Samson And Delilah

CD 3
1 Tuning
2 Terrapin Station//
3 /Playing In The Band>
4 Drums>
5 Wharf Rat>
6 Playing In The Band
7 E: U.S. Blues

Pitch corrected by -5.35%
All digi-clicks etc. removed manually in Cooledit.
Mild amount of mid-range lift and HF cut applied using Cooledit's graphic EQ.
All editing done using Cooledit by Tim Symons 3/2003
timsymons@dsl.pipex.com
All sector boundaries verified with shntool. SHN files have seek tables appended.
 #72481  by enardi

thanks, but it looks like your source is the same one as archive, which really isnt bad quality, but the portion of the show that I have is more than likey the from the board that is actually in the vault as I got my from the tapers section run by david limeux, so the quality is quite astounding, so I was curios to see if there as a upgrade of the one on archive floating around possibly to match what I already have, but by chance do you have a board from 1977-04-30?
 #72499  by bodiddley

4-30-77 is available as one of the GD download series. I have it, but since it's now an officiasl release, I won't copy it....sorry.
For some reason I can't find the download series at Deadnet anymore but they are available at Amazon.com
 #72513  by enardi

ok cool, il look into it
 #72536  by prephippie

I don't have 4/30/77. I got all the boards from 1977 a few years ago when lossless legs was doing their '77 project. They must not have had the SBD then or didn't offer it because it was an official release.
 #72547  by bodiddley

This reminds me, there are two shows in the fall (one of them being at ASU) I believe, that is really another show from around the same time but keeps getting listed as a seperate show. Maybe one of these days the real show will, well, ummm, show itself. I'll see if I can find the exact mixed-up dates I'm talking about.
 #72597  by enardi

Yea, I think I know the dates you are thinking of maybe 1977 10 06 (ASU) and 1977-10-07 (UNM). 1977-10-07 seems to only partially circulate, and your right the stuff posted for 1977-10-06 from ASU seems to contain material from a bunch of shows.
 #72607  by enardi

1977-10-06 may contain material maybe from 1977-10-01?
 #72608  by bodiddley

Yes, alot of the 10-6-77 ASU show is from the 10-1, and 10-29 shows. I wonder if that ASU show will ever truly see the light of day. There's another source that's from the King Biscuit Flower Hour but I don't think that's right either. It has a kick ass NFA on it, but it sounds mor like a coke fueled '78 version than any from '77 that I've heard...all '77 NFA's have a certain distinctiveness to them for lack of a better description.
 #72635  by enardi

yea the 77 nfa's have a different feel all their own. its a shame about 1977-10-06, although I read on archive the charlie miller is working on posting the first set of the 1977-10-07 show in soundboard quality so that will be nice to hear in the near future. October of 77 like april, seem to be kind of underrated, as everyone seems to focus on may, but god damn there are some hot shows from those two months that stack up very well with the shows from may; at least to my ears anyway.
 #72636  by prephippie

FWIW, here's my info for 10/6/77:
Grateful Dead
"King Biscuit Flour Hour" 1977

-- Activity Center, ASU, Tempe AZ, 10-06-1977
01 Promised Land
02 Tennessee Jed
03 Looks Like Rain
04 Estimated Prophet// (station break)
05 //Drums>
06 Not Fade Away// (tape flip)
07 Black Peter>
08 Not Fade Away>
09 Around & Around
-- Winterland, San Francisco, 03-20-1977
10 Terrapin

FM > C(x2) > Marantz CDR-510 (rec at -0db) > CDR > EAC >
Soundforge > CD-Wave > TLH (for SBE-OK, checksums, and
FLAC compression) > FLAC > bt.etree, May 2006.

Soundforge was used to create fades, and make some small
repairs. A big THANK YOU to Dennis C. for transfering his
cassette and providing the source disc for this show.
It's obviously missing huge chunks of the whole show. Here's a link to the setlist with links to the full SBD on the archive:
http://www.deadlists.com/default.asp

I only have Set II and the encore of 10/7/77.

Edited to say: Eh, that link just goes to the home page of the setlist database. You'll have to search for 10/6/77 from there.