#7021  by caspersvapors

nedcat wrote:I think "They Love Each Other" has alot of bounce while "Samson & Delilah" gots tons of blaze.
theres a great Samson and Delilah on 9/3/77 in Englishtown which someone already mentioned

#7033  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Sounds like a great project to work on. Here are a few suggestions. As a general guideline, since you are looking for solos over progressions as opposed to modal stuff, you should really look at Jerry Band as most of the songs there have Jerry taking extended solos over the verses.

Loser - from the legendary Barton Hall 5-8-77 show set I. Great example of Jerry playing over the progression, classic Jerry bends and some nasty pinch harmonics as well. HE is absolutely wailing. Also, even though it is just a monstrous E Jam is Jerry's solo in Not Fade from teh same show. I had always thought it was the best solo he ever took, you can actually hear him click on the drive pedal and just explode. Then I saw JGB in Buffalo in '93 and he solo he took in Cats became my new #1.

Anything from that first double disc JGB. Senor, Evangeline, are all great and the best example of really hitting the chord tones is the solo is Simple Twist of Fate. As always wth JGB, Jerry on top of his game both vocally and playing.

And from the first Jerry Garcia and David Grisman cd...Thrill is Gone, Grateful Dawg. And then from Jerry and Grisman "So What" cd, check out the version of Grisman's tune 16/16. Jerry is all over that.
 #7042  by winston

Many thanks. My first lesson is in an hour, and I have compiled a preliminary CD with some of your suggestions:

- Peggy-O 12/27/77. I couldn't find the 9/3/77 Dick's Picks version, but will buy it. 1977 seems to be a good year for clean, transcribable, instructive solo material, and I was pleased to be reminded of it after listening primarily to the '72-'74 period.
- Studio Help-Slip, Russian Lullaby, and Grateful Dawg.
- And also, my favorite Scarlet 7/31/82, which I mentioned at the beginning.
- Deal didn't make it - couldn't find the '84, and don't own the studio album (yet) - but one of those two versions will make the next cut.

I see I have 2 suggestions for 16/16 - jazz is always a little heady for me, but my teacher loves it, so I'll bring it along for him to check out.

BTW, the Workingman's Dead version of UJB is fully transcribed, along with a handful of other studio tunes, in the two-volume series Grateful Dead Authentic Guitar Classics. Not only do you get both lead & rhythm, but you also get full vocal harmonies.

Thanks! I really appreciate the community's help! I have looked into all your suggestions, and will continue to do so until the course winds down.

#7048  by tigerstrat

a few awesome lyrical-progression solos:

Comes A Time 8/19/80
Believe It Or Not 6/23/88
Mission In The Rain 6/29/76
Looks Like Rain 6/29/76 too.
Scarlet Begonias 2/27/81, 5/25/74, 10/19/81
Beat It On Down The Line 4/29/71 and also
Second That Emotion 4/29/71
Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad 10/12/81 or 8/13/75

I shouldn't get started on JGB material...

#7055  by d-v-s

A few more Jerry solos from GD albums for you to look into:

1. Stella Blue - from So Many Roads disc 3 - 4/21/78 the solo starting around minute 9 is just beautiful.

2. Althea - from 10/14/83 (DP vl. 6) - solo starting around minute 6.

3. They Love Each Other - also from DP 6

I also agree with the earlier comments that Jerry's solos from the JGB may be more suitable to what you're looking for. In particular Shaggy's recommendations were spot on! :smile:

#7056  by HOWEYMAN

There's a ton of solos over chords on Europe 72' (I was listening to it while reading this post)