#70522  by Jon S.

I won't say I can't begin to express my excitement following today's Baltimore visit to the Philtone Guitar Co. and Phil Jacoby - after all, what is this post but such a beginning? - but believe me, it's only a beginning. And even the crazy 2-hour drive back to VA cannot dampen my enthusiasm! :D

Here are the progress shots. Keep in mind that today's visit was solely to do the final neck carve adjustments with the guitar strung for the first time (as it turned out, Phil was so spot on with his measurements none were required!) and set the control and Tiger inlay layout. We used a temporary wood nut (the final will be brass) and the future work will include adding the headstock inlay (in-hand but disassembled at this point) and final-shaping the rear side of the neck-to-body joint (set neck guitar).

But what the hey, the guitar is shaping up to be everything I'd dreamed it would be and we're close now! :cool:

P.S. This is, by design, an "inspired by," not "a clone of," guitar. The person playing this guitar is Jon S., not Jerry G. Every aspect has been carefully matched to my personal needs, that's why it's so special to me. :)

Thanks, Phil (below)! Thanks also, Ron Thorn, for the stunning Tiger plate, Craig Lavin for the headstock inlay (not pictured today but we'll see it on the completed guitar), and Brian Nalls (Jack of Roses) for the inlayed fretboard and stoptail. :)

#70523  by strumminsix

Jon S. wrote:P.S. This is, by design, an "inspired by," not "a clone of," guitar. The person playing this guitar is Jon S., not Jerry G. Every aspect has been carefully matched to my personal needs, that's why it's so special to me. :)
Fucking spectacular! My SoloCaster (named Rooster) was inpsired by Bobby's guitar but it is wholy mine, to my spec, to my desires, to my needs!

I am so happy for you and that guitar of yours is beautiful!!!
 #70526  by Jon S.

Thanks, Bro'! :)
 #70527  by RiverRat

Jon S. wrote:This is, by design, an "inspired by," not "a clone of," guitar. The person playing this guitar is Jon S., not Jerry G. Every aspect has been carefully matched to my personal needs, that's why it's so special to me. :)
And that's why we'll probably never see this guitar on eBay or Craiglist... every other guitar you pick up will be measured to this one as your metric of what a good guitar is.
 #70533  by jester536

Absolutely beautiful. I'm assuming Cocobolo top and back...fantastic grain and a lot of character. Interesting approach with the neck and bridge set and finished but still a great deal of router work to be done on the body. My brother is going to begin a build...before too long...and it's so good to be able to see other people's approaches to the build process. You are lucky to be involved with the process...being able to allay those fears of how it's going to feel when it's finished...You already know...you're a lucky man. Keep the pictures coming...thanks.
 #70535  by jackr

That is fantastic. I can see it was worth the ride to Baltimore. Might I suggest putting some pickups in there? It may not be loud enough like this!

Seriously though, from this point on, how much longer do you think it will take to actually bring it home? And how long ago did you order it?
 #70549  by keirweir

I think I know exactly what your saying and how you feel Jon S!

what kind of woods are we talking here? Specifically the neck.

:cheers:
 #70550  by keirweir

keirweir wrote:I think I know exactly what your saying and how you feel Jon S!

what kind of woods are we talking here? Specifically the neck.

:cheers:

First time I have quoted myself. Jack of Roses neck! Gotcha!
 #70582  by Jon S.

Thanks again for all of the kind comments! The top and back are cocobolo. I chose the specific plank from Tropical Exotic Hardwoods. In between the top and back are, in order, maple veneer, CITES-certified Honduran mahogany, and another sheet of maple veneer. The neck woods are, in order, sapele - maple - padouk - maple - sapele. Here's a shot of the actual planks of (in order) padouk, maple, mahogany, and sapele used on my guitar.