#68634  by brutusbuck45

Hey now... you Grateful Dead fans,

I have a little question to ask for those of y'all (in the know). I have a Fender Super 60 (Tube, Rivera, red
knob). I don't have the space or (really) the need for separate cabinet and head or power amp combination.
I am happy with my little 12" combo but I am curious about upgrading the speaker. I have had the OEM Fender
speaker since I got the amp in 1990. What do y'all think about installing the JBL E-120 in a combo amp? I found
a pretty nice auction that I am watching on eBay right now and considering getting into the bidding.

The amp is rated at 8 ohms speaker out- same as the E120. My lack of experience in these things makes me
question if it would be a good buy for this power amp. I would appreciate some opinions if this seems like waste
of time and money. The Ampwares site gives a good description of my amp and includes a PDF of the schematic.

http://ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=99

The speaker replacement matrix shows Jensens (Super 60 '88-'93 40 watt 12" P12R, C12R, C12Q)

Thanks in advance!

~BB45

BTW... is there anyone on the board that lives down my way in Gator country? Yes, I am a Buckeye in Gainesville, FL.
 #68636  by playingdead

I had a Super 60 1x12 at one point, great little amp, but not particularly loud when run clean. (I always wondered if there was something amiss with it).

I'm not sure how the E-120 measures up against the stock speaker in terms of efficiency, but if the amp in stock form is more than loud enough, it will probably be fine.
 #68637  by playingdead

Got curious and looked at the user reviews on Harmony Central, other owners are commenting on the lack of volume on the clean channel. Kadlecik uses a power amp with his.
 #68638  by brutusbuck45

playingdead wrote:I had a Super 60 1x12 at one point, great little amp, but not particularly loud when run clean. (I always wondered if there was something amiss with it).

I'm not sure how the E-120 measures up against the stock speaker in terms of efficiency, but if the amp in stock form is more than loud enough, it will probably be fine.
Yea, I wonder if there was something not quite right with yours. I have had this little guy for 19 years and it still rattles the windows on both clean and, especially, the Drive channels. Back in the "day" I played plenty of open mics and studio jams with it in and around Central and North Country NY. Never mic'd it and it never got buried or hidden by anything. I played mostly blues things then with some really great Crane musicians in Potsdam, NY. I just loved the Robert Cray, plunky Bridge/Middle PUP tone I was able to get with my Strat on the clean ch. It most definitely could get loud. Thats why I thought/wondered if the E-120 could get driven hard enough. Whether or not it is worth replacing the stock speaker, that's another question.
 #68648  by Chuckles

Don't know if 60w will drive the E120 as much as you might like. I found that running my 2x12 E120s even with low power from the power amp to the speaks made them a little shallow and weak sounding. These things are almost transparent, so what you put into them is what you get out. Maybe a K120 would be a better bet to get some response out of the speaker from a lower wattage while still getting the transparancy of the JBL?