#21023  by nicolasalk

I think this may be one of the best covers made by the grateful dead.

I would like to know wich ones you think are the bests

IMO 07/16/66 is great, it is old, but a very good quality tape of that recording.

#21039  by sarraqum

Sep 02 1983 is my personal favorite. Not only is it a great version but it was also the day I was born so I have every right to be a bit bias.
 #56936  by hogan

10-13-94
For real.
 #56938  by bodiddley

I'm not sure why, but for some reason that tune never did much for me. Though, I'm starting to warm up to it a little.
 #56943  by Viceroy

I would say hands down it's the version that closed the show from new years 84-85. I remember seeing the tears running from Jerry's eyes as he was singing this tune as this was the day after his best friend and road manager Steve Parrish lost his wife and daughter in a car accident returning from the show the night before. I guess you could say he played it with alot of emotion. I put this version as one of the top songs I ever saw Jerry play. just my opinion, however.
 #68130  by enardi

I realize this is an oldish topic but I just listened to the one from 1981-12-31 where joan baez sits in, really mindblowing performance of it.
 #147930  by pablomago

Viceroy wrote:I would say hands down it's the version that closed the show from new years 84-85. I remember seeing the tears running from Jerry's eyes as he was singing this tune as this was the day after his best friend and road manager Steve Parrish lost his wife and daughter in a car accident returning from the show the night before. I guess you could say he played it with alot of emotion. I put this version as one of the top songs I ever saw Jerry play. just my opinion, however.
I would agree.

Another good version was from the run in Oakland (Henry J. Kaiser) a few years earlier right before new years. I can't remember the date, but I was there and it was pretty emotionally charged as well.