#53380  by Jon S.

Ted Weber said in response to my question of how to order a Neomag and have it sound as much like an E-series, hemp cone JBL as possible to "put in the comments section of the order form that you want the 5" large screen dome, per Ted."

I have no personal or professional association with Weber Speakers other than owning two others that I bought retail. I simply asked the question and am passing on the response.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/neo12.htm
 #53382  by jonarobb

Jon S. wrote:Ted Weber said in response to my question of how to order a Neomag and have it sound as much like an E-series, hemp cone JBL as possible to "put in the comments section of the order form that you want the 5" large screen dome, per Ted."

I have no personal or professional association with Weber Speakers other than owning two others that I bought retail. I simply asked the question and am passing on the response.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/neo12.htm
Firstly, I believe 5" is incorrect. His Neomags 12's are cut for 4" coil assemblies. But I could be wrong.

And as a frequent customer of Webers, and rabid speaker fan to boot, it's a pipe-dream expecting those Neo-mags to jump like an E120. I've a/b'd them from the get go when he introduced them. It's just not happening. Additionally, there are some issues with the coils shifting at medium to high volume. Most recently a custy who insisted on the Neo-Mags brought his amp back with a fried coil. They seem to provide a clean flat tone at low to moderate volumes, but in a prolonged gigging situation they're not holding up. I'm the minority here I'm sure but the California Ceramic 12" with some custom tweaking is the closest you'll get to a JBL with a Weber. Order them with the cloth edged bass cone and aluminum dome. I've installed over a hundred of them.

Unfortunately he's not going to tell you how many Neo's he's had to take back. This same thing happened with the Cali's and the Michigans when he started selling them. Took them a while to iron out some issues. Application is everything. Some of his speakers are just not gig ready.

I do dig Weber and this is not a slight towards him or the company. He does a boatload of recones for me and they are perfect.
 #53393  by hogan

I think the original poster was talking about domes not voice coils.
The Cali certainly doesn't jump like a JBL but the Neomags have quite a bit of speaker excursion.
I've never had any problems w/ the Neomags or the Cali's. I've installed a ton of them,maybe not hundreds. I gig every other week or so on a pair of Neomag 12's at fairly high volumes and they come through, no worries. I wouldn't expect them to last long in a jerry rig pushing more than 180 watts though. At 75-85 watt per speaker They're just not made to handle huge amounts of power. I understand that those numbers are conservativly rated, even still.
What clubs are you guys playing at that let you open up a power amp that much?

~MJH
 #53397  by 1960strat

Jon,

Any idea where i can pick up a pair of E120's for my twin? I live in hoboken and would bring it into the city to have you install them and do some other garcia mods.

Thanks

David
 #53399  by SpaceYrface43

don't want to change the topic just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Beyma Liberty,
Suppose to sound like the E-120. I was between the Beyman Liberty and the Weber Neo-Mag but i'm not liking what i'm hearing about the Neo's. Any info would be helpful before i spend my Christmas bonus. All i know is the Neo's got for around $160.00 while the Libertys are about $260.00 big price break but if its worth it i'm willing to indulge.
Thanks Kinders
 #53400  by strumminsix

I own 4 neomag speakers in different configs.

of them 1 admittedly gets very little usage.

of the others i've gigged with them over the past 2 years frequently and jammed even more frequently.

i had 1 go bad. that's it. and the 1 that went bad was from the first run ted did of the neomags before you could even order them online.

oh and they are supposed to emulate D120Fs. Not sure about the 5" and E series, etc...

my $.02
 #53405  by Jon S.

Neither Weber nor I are representing the Neomags as designed to emulate E's. Weber is express on his web site about modeling them after D's and that's one of the reasons I included a link to it in my original post. All I said was I asked if I want to order a Neomag to get as close to an E with a hemp cone, how would I order it, and Weber responded to the question they got. That's it. I'm just sharing information.
 #53407  by Jon S.

jonarobb wrote:I'm the minority here I'm sure but the California Ceramic 12" with some custom tweaking is the closest you'll get to a JBL with a Weber.
I rotated a paper dust cap Ceramic Cali through several of my amps 3 or 4 years back. Didn't do much for me and eventually sold it. What do you think of the Celestion Classic Lead 80 in similar applications (I'm a fan of the CL80 for bold, clean tones that sound good and hold up well under low or high power)?
 #53409  by jonarobb

1960strat wrote:Jon,

Any idea where i can pick up a pair of E120's for my twin? I live in hoboken and would bring it into the city to have you install them and do some other garcia mods.

Thanks

David

PM Sent to you
 #53411  by jonarobb

Jon S. wrote:
jonarobb wrote:I'm the minority here I'm sure but the California Ceramic 12" with some custom tweaking is the closest you'll get to a JBL with a Weber.
I rotated a paper dust cap Ceramic Cali through several of my amps 3 or 4 years back. Didn't do much for me and eventually sold it. What do you think of the Celestion Classic Lead 80 in similar applications (I'm a fan of the CL80 for bold, clean tones that sound good and hold up well under low or high power)?
Haven't had a chance to check out the Celestion Classic Lead. I rarely use new production speakers that are marketed for guitar. I've been using Weber speakers as a last resort as far as new production stuff. I tend to buy up all the old drivers, baskets, etc I can find and just keep those in stock. Recone them and resell them to clients when they blow a speaker or they're looking to upgrade their rig to something new, and a little more pro-minded. As long as the frequency range, sensitivity, and power handling, surround and cone material are up to my standard, I'm not that discerning. I stick to JBL, EV, Altec, Gauss and Fane. Celestions always seemed cheap to me, construction wise.

I still recommend thinking outside the box, and try something different. I love JBL's for instance, but instead of just using D, K and E series, I started experimenting with their other drivers. The 2130, the 2202H & 2204H, the M-121, etc...
 #53503  by paulinnc

SpaceYrface43 wrote:don't want to change the topic just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Beyma Liberty,
Suppose to sound like the E-120. I was between the Beyman Liberty and the Weber Neo-Mag but i'm not liking what i'm hearing about the Neo's. Any info would be helpful before i spend my Christmas bonus. All i know is the Neo's got for around $160.00 while the Libertys are about $260.00 big price break but if its worth it i'm willing to indulge.
Thanks Kinders
You need to go to the Gearheads Yahoo group. This has just been discussed at length and an A/B comparison has been done. Nothing but good things is the last I heard about the Liberties.
 #53507  by SpaceYrface43

Thanks Paul for your response
I recieved this response today from Ted
comments: What speaker do you offer that sound most like the
JBL E-120, i thought i was the Neo Mag but i have been hearing some mixed reviews.
That would be the NEO 12 with a boosted magnet.
TED

I guess pretty much same response that Jon.S got.
I think i am going to splurge and go for the Beyma Liberties. If i get them i will let you guys know how they are after broken in a bit.
 #67603  by Rusty the Scoob

Ok, I'm digging this old thread up hoping for similar info.

My goal is to build a 1x15" bass cab, either ported or sealed, that sounds like 70's Phil.

I'm being told on other forums that the JBL 2220A 15" that I've been offered is more of a mid-range PA speaker and might not make a good subsitute for the classic JBL D140f speakers that Phil used. So at $180 the Weber Neomag could fit in my budget if I stretch a little, and you can order them with aluminum domes and ribbed paper cones. What do you think?
 #67611  by strumminsix

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Ok, I'm digging this old thread up hoping for similar info.

My goal is to build a 1x15" bass cab, either ported or sealed, that sounds like 70's Phil.

I'm being told on other forums that the JBL 2220A 15" that I've been offered is more of a mid-range PA speaker and might not make a good subsitute for the classic JBL D140f speakers that Phil used. So at $180 the Weber Neomag could fit in my budget if I stretch a little, and you can order them with aluminum domes and ribbed paper cones. What do you think?
I have the "guitar version" of the D130F. Love it! However, some amps like some speakers better 8)

Yes you should be able to order it aluminum and ribbed (for her pleasure). I recall those options being on his site. If not, call!