#6541  by jazzyjeff

I'm looking to buy a delay pedal and wondered if anyone had a suggestion. I'm considering an Ibanez AD-9 but would love some input. Thanks!

#6543  by wisedyes

I still love my Boss DD-3. The newer Boss pedals are a bit more flexible, but I'v ehad the DD-3 forever, it still works great, and does everything I need form it.

I like the Danelectro Tape Echo unit alot; if I was looking for a new delay stompbox, I'd most likely buy that one.

#6546  by eyeprod

a good delay does more than just make echoes. a good one will allow you to dial in some amazing guitar tones that a not so good delay cannot compete with. i use a deluxe memory man. it's big and not cheap, but it's the best i've used, i love it. try out a few different pedals if you can, and decide from there which suits you best.

#6550  by strumminsix

Check out the Line 6 DL4.

#6553  by tigerstrat

DL4's are sweet, but I think the Echo Park is an even better Line 6 delay.

I've never used the AD-9 model but the 1970's AD-80 is awesome!! The Maxon re-issues ain't bad either, and the AD-900 is kinda nice, but they can't really hold a candle to the originals.

What I don't understand all the fuss about is the Way Huge Aquapuss... especially next to an AD-80.

#6563  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:DL4's are sweet, but I think the Echo Park is an even better Line 6 delay.
I've never tried the EP, but I've been very impressed with L6 gear so it would not surprise me.

#6565  by jahozer

I like my DD-5.
The tap tempo makes all the difference. I think its better than the DD-6 in that it uses an external pedal and the tap on the dd-6 is hard to use.
It is digital, so you do not expect analog sounding delay. I tend to think thats a bit over rated anyway. I mean I understand, but the functionality of the boss dd-5 is just what I need.
I am having it modded so I can control the volume of the delay with an expression pedal.

#6601  by shakedown_04092

jahozer wrote:I like my DD-5.
The tap tempo makes all the difference. I think its better than the DD-6 in that it uses an external pedal and the tap on the dd-6 is hard to use.
It is digital, so you do not expect analog sounding delay. I tend to think thats a bit over rated anyway. I mean I understand, but the functionality of the boss dd-5 is just what I need.
I am having it modded so I can control the volume of the delay with an expression pedal.
I agree. I have the DD-6 and honestly, I hate it. Well, maybe I don't hate it, per se, but it sure as hell isn't "user friendly". I mean, it has some cool effects, with the echo, the warp, and the reverse, but it's clunky and hard to use, nad you can't change on the fly with it. If you want to switch over to a different effect on it, you have to kneel down and manually turn the knob, and that is a MAJOR pain in the ass when you are playing live and in the moment. While I'm on the subject, is there any way to modify this piece of crapto make it easier to switch around, or should I just scrap it & go buy that green Line-6 delay pedal I hear so much about?

#6610  by squire758

I recently bought a VOX Tonelab SE and it is the greatest invention since the wheel. this pedal does every possible thing you can think of. That thing you just thought of... yup, it does that. anyway, as far as the topic of delay, this pedal is adjustable in aspects of delay i didnt even know existed. i get tones out of this pedal that are f*ing great. i like the fact that you can adjust the time, range, and everything about it digitally. especially if you turn the time almost all the way down it's like a priceless reverb. this pedal is quite expensive, but its very well worth it. just to humor myself, i plugged it up to my very first guitar amp: a stressed radioshack 10w amp and this pedal made it sound like a stack man for real. i was amazed. a friend at guitar center got me the pedal out the door for 400 dollars. having used it for awhile now, i would willingly pay double for this godsend of an effect pedal. also, the auto wah sounds just like a Mutron III, which i was also searching for at the time

Re:

#93049  by seamones

eyeprod wrote:a good delay does more than just make echoes. a good one will allow you to dial in some amazing guitar tones that a not so good delay cannot compete with. i use a deluxe memory man. it's big and not cheap, but it's the best i've used, i love it. try out a few different pedals if you can, and decide from there which suits you best.
I can't seem to get my DMM set up right. I think it might need work as it demonstrating some of the commons symptoms: Loud pop when engaged and the Overload light is on at even very low guitar volumes.

Anyone got any experience and advices in regards to this?

thanks
 #93060  by rkubik

I just got a MXR Analog Carbon Copy delay off e-bay I am very happy with, but I prefer the analog over digital.
 #93061  by rugger

To piggyback rkubik--I haven't used this pedal myself--but the MXR Carbon Copy is a favorite on The Gear Page. As stated, it's analog and inexpensive.

Personally, I use two DD-7's. I like the tap tempo functionality. I use an external footswitch which eliminates the annoying press and hold to engage the tap tempo scenario. You can also use an expression pedal to control many of the parameters of the unit, but I don't do this. I get around the changing on the fly thing by having both set up differently. I'm sure there are better pedals out there, but I've been relatively happy with these. And thankfully, I haven't been bit with delay pedal GAS yet as I'm sure there are lots of "nicer" and "better"--read more expensive--delays out there.

John in San Diego
Last edited by rugger on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #93067  by 1960strat

I have three delay pedals and they are all awesome. But ranked in this order:

1: Fulltone Tube Tape Delay: The most F'ing awesome delay ever made in my opinion. Cant duplicate the tube and true tape delay. But they are bulky, Expensive (about a grand) and you have to replace the tape constantly. But they are the best.

2: Moog: Moogerfooger MF104 Analog delay: best true pedal i have heard. Allows you to plug expression pedal into feedback, delay time and/or mix. Pretty flexible and great sounding. Drawback is it is big and expensive (mine was $550 used)

3 Maxon AD9: This is pretty standard issue analog delay. Sounds good compared to digital in my opinion, just not as tweakable.

The moog is standard in my pedal board. Fulltone is best for recording.