rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #61198  by ronster
 Sun May 24, 2009 5:41 pm
jdarks has it correct
A Cmaj7 lick then repeat

|--0----0----|-------------------| |----------------|
|--2----0----|--13/14---12---10--|OR|----------------|
|--2----0----|-------------------| |----------------|
|--2----2----|--13/14---12---11--| |----------------|
|--0----3----|-------------------| |-------2/4-2-0--|
|--A---Cmaj7-|----------------A--| |-0-2-0-------A--|
 #61210  by tigerstrat
 Mon May 25, 2009 10:13 am
Maybe some of the very early Franklin's ended with the A, Cmaj7 "end of Slipknot" figure, but generally they just wound down the A,D Franklin's progression to a final A (which fwiw is my preference) ... are the Remaining Members, aka TD, using the Slipknot thingy?
 #61240  by Pete B.
 Tue May 26, 2009 8:00 am
I assume we're talking about the chord Bobby plays?... (while Jer does his ending riff).
The open position CMaj7 doesn't sound right (to me).
I tried 5 CMaj7 inversions and none of them sound right (to my ear).
I might be playing it wrong.
Can someone post a clear shot of Bobby playing the chord in question?

I've never known what that chord is, and typically do a single note Jerry style ending lick there.
When I do play a chord there I play a kinda D/G following the A.

E|--x--
B|--3--
G|--2--
D|-----
A|--x--
E|--3--

fwiw, When I saw the BK3 a few months back, I noted that that is what Scott Murawski played (at least that is what I think I saw, I have not confirmed this with Scott).
 #61250  by tigerstrat
 Tue May 26, 2009 12:47 pm
G5 is what I use (in my Jerry part). Hey where did the tab creator go? Can only access by the home page now? Anyhoo, it looks like this, with the G bass note ringing out on the beat, and the high G,D,G notes ringing out on the following "and":


E|--3--
B|--3--
G|--0--
D|--X--
A|--X--
E|3~3--
 #61263  by strumminsix
 Tue May 26, 2009 1:58 pm
Pete B. wrote:I assume we're talking about the chord Bobby plays?... (while Jer does his ending riff).
The open position CMaj7 doesn't sound right (to me).
I tried 5 CMaj7 inversions and none of them sound right (to my ear).
I might be playing it wrong.
Can someone post a clear shot of Bobby playing the chord in question?

I've never known what that chord is, and typically do a single note Jerry style ending lick there.
When I do play a chord there I play a kinda D/G following the A.
Can't ya a pic or vid. This pc is too slow for that.

I can play a Cmaj7 anywhere and get it. Preference is the 3rd fret. It was a few years back that I stumbled on this and it just flat out never sounds right until you play it with your band.

I argued with a guy some time about this who was very thick headed despite asking me for help so I said instead just play a G6. Now he swears that is the chord oh well it's close enough when played off the 12th fret.

BTW, for an average Dead bar band I think that ending pulls off nicer than the rallentando of A to D unless you have the room packed with heads.
 #61268  by Pete B.
 Tue May 26, 2009 4:38 pm
strumminsix wrote:
...it just flat out never sounds right until you play it with your band.
I belive this to be true about alot of stuff that come down the pike.

strumminsix wrote: I argued with a guy some time about this who was very thick headed despite asking me for help so I said instead just play a G6. Now he swears that is the chord oh well it's close enough when played off the 12th fret.
Gotta love that one!
Almost the same exact fingering as Cmaj7.

Still lookin' for Bobby fingers on this one.
I know the camera is on Jer in one of the VFTV vids. He played it all single notes in open position that day (can't remember which vid right now), but he just played a G on the 6th string, third fret.