#60569  by bodiddley

wisedyes wrote:Third night of Hampton VA ( 3-26 ) in spring of 1987 - MONSTROUS! I was there, the audience was whipped into a frenzy, Garcia and Weir were doing the rock star thing in full force. Never heard another Terrapin like that one in terms of sheer power.
You ain't kidding. There was a video of this show on the web a few years back and I loved it. Bob and Jer were literally side by side in full on rock star poses hammering away at the coda and the crowd was going absolutely apeshit. also of note from that show was Brent's "Dear Mr. Fantasy", if the begining doesn't give ya goose bumps, nothing will. I wish this damned video would resurface, somebody's gotta have it. A must!
 #60571  by Pete B.

I've been on an "At A Siding" kick lately.

Terrapin Rehearsals are probably the best-of live-in-the-studio AAS (starting at ~9:30min of Terrpin):
http://www.archive.org/details/gd77-02- ... sbeok.shnf

Here is a quite impressive (seriously, imho) Ratdog version from 12/31/08:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXnYg3L8TcY

Here is an AAS basics instructional vid I did just for fun (I'll post an up-to-speed version at some point):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hAFWBdIKyo

Terrapin's Cool,
Pete B.
 #60575  by tigerstrat

mttourpro wrote:
seamones wrote:There is no version of any song that is a best-ever from 1993. It is extremely rare to find a best-ever post Brent and IMPOSSIBLE to find a best-ever, of any song, post-Hornsby. Save, of course for songs debuted in 1993 or later.
Agreed. As far as Terrapins go, my favs are Oxford Maine in 88 and ones they did in 90 before Brent died when they did >Jam after the tune---totally different jams on each one too.
As for "best ever"---there's no such thing---too subjective
Ah yeah 7/18/90 Deer Creek was a monster Terrapin, unbelievable show all around.

A lot of those newer songs debuted in 1992.
 #60578  by seamones

Corrina, Wave, So many roads, Way to go in 1992, I think.

Eternity, Liberty, Days, Samba, Lazy River and my only debut, EZ Answers smushed into Music at Giants - 1993.

I'm probably missing a few...in addition to completely changing the topic.
 #60652  by Pete B.

I threw on the Studio version of Terrapin at a family party at our home Sat night.
Within the first 5-10 seconds of Terrpin my sister-in-law says "Fleetwood Mac... Cool".
I thought that was so interesting per the Keith Olsen FM/GD producer angle.
The Terrapin intro does have a similar sound to "Over My Head" by FM... never made the connection before.
(She also said "Bob Marley... Cool" within the first 5-10 sec's of Estimated).

On producer Keith Olsen:
He has a really excellent ear and he's worked really well with us ... The performances are really amazing, much better than we're able to flog out of ourselves when we're in there producing ourselves.
~JG~
 #60744  by Pete B.

Wow, I coulda written this review (except for the Prog part):
I never realized that "Terrapin" was code for "Trippin'" 'till today (must be some kinda "Greyfolded" thing?).]
If you haven't guessed by now, I think the the album version is the Best Terrapin Station.

http://www.connollyco.com/discography/g ... rapin.html

:cool:
 #60749  by Pete B.

bodiddley wrote:I never thought it stood for "Trippin'"...still don't.
Me neither, but...
Whats not to believe?
Alice D. Millionaire = LSD Millionaire
Greyfolded = say it fast 10 times and it sounds like Grateful Dead.
American Beauty = American Reality.
Ugly Rumers = Ugly Roomers (at the Mars Hotel).

They've (GD) got a million of 'em.

Aoxamoxa
[gazoontite]
:D
 #60751  by Tennessee Jedi

Pete B. wrote:
bodiddley wrote:I never thought it stood for "Trippin'"...still don't.
Me neither, but...
Whats not to believe?
Alice D. Millionaire = LSD Millionaire
Greyfolded = say it fast 10 times and it sounds like Grateful Dead.
American Beauty = American Reality.
Ugly Rumers = Ugly Roomers (at the Mars Hotel).

They've (GD) got a million of 'em.

Aoxamoxa
[gazoontite]
:D
If you hold the MARS HOTEL album up to a mirror - you will see it says " UGLY RUMORS " .....as in the Dead will soon break up ; rampant drug use ; etc and other "ugly rumors" ....at least that is how it was explained to me once...
:smile:
 #60762  by tigerstrat

sub-topic: best Terrapin of May 1977?
 #60782  by bodiddley

Well, you have the just released 5-28-77 version and then there's 5-7-77 that's very good if you discount the Donna factor. I'll poke around and see what I can find. Not May but 6-9-77 is decent but not great...has a few flubs lyrically and musically. Think I'll give that Deer Creek '90 version a spin and see what all the fuss is about.

Re:

#62219  by seamones

tigerstrat wrote:Two of my faves occurred exactly one year apart:

4/15/88 Rosemont, IL
4/15/89 Milwaukee, WI this one might be the cake-taker for me...
Diggin the entire 4/15/89. Thanks