Talk about the recent Tours
 #60415  by Laytonco

Hey now,
The Dead are at the Pepsi Center in Denver tomorrow night. I'd sure love to meet any of you who are coming into town for the show. The Pranksters' Bus (White VW Camper) will be on site and I'm going to make an RUKIND sign that I'll put up. Also, you can call me at 303-628-5234 after about 1pm (hopefully the lot will be open then) and I'll tell you where we are. I'll have good beer and lots if kindness to share. Come on by!

Peace,

Gil
 #60490  by phpbb

Hey Gil - Fortunately/Unfortunately I graduate from my Master's Program today, and they had to schedule the meet and greet this afternoon, so I am going to be late to the lot, but will be there, hopefully I will see you at the show or after the show.

As a side note, the Denver Art Museum has an exhibit on Psychedelic Rock Concert posters, which would make a great field trip for any visitors to Denver looking for something to do during the day. They have plenty of Grateful Dead related stuff, plus, many, many awesome posters from the 60's.
 #60495  by Good Times

Hey, will be at the show tonight. Am heading down to the parking lot in the late afternoon, having to work a half day today. I will look for you guys and would love to meet up for a beer and meet some Rukinders :smile:

Steve
 #60497  by Good Times

phpbb wrote:Hey Gil - Fortunately/Unfortunately I graduate from my Master's Program today, and they had to schedule the meet and greet this afternoon, so I am going to be late to the lot, but will be there, hopefully I will see you at the show or after the show.

As a side note, the Denver Art Museum has an exhibit on Psychedelic Rock Concert posters, which would make a great field trip for any visitors to Denver looking for something to do during the day. They have plenty of Grateful Dead related stuff, plus, many, many awesome posters from the 60's.
Phpbb, have you seen the exhibit at the DAM? It is on my list of things to do soon but was hoping to get a review from someone who has seen the exhibit.

Thanks
 #60498  by Tennessee Jedi

Laytonco wrote:Hey now,
The Dead are at the Pepsi Center in Denver tomorrow night. I'd sure love to meet any of you who are coming into town for the show. The Pranksters' Bus (White VW Camper) will be on site and I'm going to make an RUKIND sign that I'll put up. Also, you can call me at 303-628-5234 after about 1pm (hopefully the lot will be open then) and I'll tell you where we are. I'll have good beer and lots if kindness to share. Come on by!

Peace,

Gil
Take some pics.
The Kind needs some pics !
peace
 #60499  by Laytonco

Excellent! I hope to see you Gregg and congratulations on your new degree! I know you've been working on that a long time! And everyone else, please do stop by. I'm picking up a bunch of Sierra's on the way down and will have the camera too. Also, last night I got some emails from Juba Juba and it looks like we're going to have a Pranksters-Juba jam in the lot! This should be interesting.

Fire it up for the Dead!
 #60500  by phpbb

Good Times wrote: Phpbb, have you seen the exhibit at the DAM? It is on my list of things to do soon but was hoping to get a review from someone who has seen the exhibit.

Thanks
I have - it's cool. It covers lots of artists (both designers and musicians). It's a cool history of how it all came to be. I am pretty used to most of the posters, but it was cool to see them in real life. In the era of the internet, it's easy to forget how people used to communicate about gathering together. These posters are a collection of how far bands and artists went to do that. The highlight of the art for me was a set of three color concert posters that "moved" by flashing a sequence of green/red/blue lights on it.

There is also this interactive area, which at first seemed lame, but turned cool when I found the "make your own lightshow" exhibit (60's style - using an overhead projector and bags full of liquid colors). Then they have a "make your own concert poster" exhibit using images of different parts of the exhibits on display. You can get pretty complex with it - and at the end you can print out your poster.

We took the kids there, and they were really into the interactive area, as were we.
 #60504  by Good Times

phpbb wrote:
Good Times wrote: Phpbb, have you seen the exhibit at the DAM? It is on my list of things to do soon but was hoping to get a review from someone who has seen the exhibit.

Thanks
I have - it's cool. It covers lots of artists (both designers and musicians). It's a cool history of how it all came to be. I am pretty used to most of the posters, but it was cool to see them in real life. In the era of the internet, it's easy to forget how people used to communicate about gathering together. These posters are a collection of how far bands and artists went to do that. The highlight of the art for me was a set of three color concert posters that "moved" by flashing a sequence of green/red/blue lights on it.

There is also this interactive area, which at first seemed lame, but turned cool when I found the "make your own lightshow" exhibit (60's style - using an overhead projector and bags full of liquid colors). Then they have a "make your own concert poster" exhibit using images of different parts of the exhibits on display. You can get pretty complex with it - and at the end you can print out your poster.

We took the kids there, and they were really into the interactive area, as were we.
Thanks for the information! I was already looking forward to seeing the posters live and in person but am glad to hear that they have made it into a more complete exhibit.
 #60528  by jck_strw

An update from the lot.

Laytonco reports that he is in "West, section A4 between the sign and Auraria Pkwy."
 #60568  by jck_strw

Well no one called me to bail them out of jail last night (or this morning), so I assume it was just an ok time.

I heard they did a good psychedelic King Solomon's and they did a super cheezy NFA. They also opened the second set acoustic. Other than that, I haven't heard anything. Thoughts from those at the show?
 #60581  by DenverEd

Here is the list:

Set I:

Feel Like A Stranger
Casey Jones
Loser (BW & WH)
Easy Wind (Warren ~ vocals)
Crazy Fingers
Lost Sailor >
St. of Circumstance

Acoustic Set:

Deep Ellum Blues (acoustic)
Me & My Uncle (acoustic)
Whiskey In A Jar (acoustic)
The Weight (acoustic)
"Happy Birthday Billy" flashing on the video screens

set II:

SPACE ("trppy shit" per Zoner Tar's text)
crowd singing "Happy Birthday to Billy"
Ramble On Rose
King Solomon's Marbles (for Java Dave)
SPACE
DRUMZ
China Doll (Warren~ vocals)
Cumberland Blues
Not Fade Away
----------
Donor Rap
Ripple

I didn't have high expectations going in and was pleasantly surprised. Warren seemed to give it an honest effort. The band really seemed to be enjoying themselves, except for Weir, who never cracked a smile the entire night. The sound was great and the crowd was friendly.

King Solomon's Marbles was the highlight for me. The lot was a hoot and as far as I could tell, there wasn't an abundance of ticketless, sketchy wooks.
 #60584  by Laytonco

Hey Goodtimes! Great meeting you and yours last night. Let's stay in touch. There are a lot of very kind folks we've met here through the years and would love to hook up and introduce you!

Oh the show.....Several good highlights. The lot scene was very very cool. Packed with a bunch of bug-eyed happy nice people. That kicked it off for me big time. Inside, well, if I described every show I'd have to see awesome, freaking awesome, wicked awesome, but then again I was extremely bug-eyed going in myself! I was in the rafters so I missed Bob's all-night frown. That's good. I thought Lost Sailor>Saint was fantastic, nice and tight. Acoustic Me & My Uncle was another good one. "I'm as honest as a Denver man can be!" The freakin roof buckled a little on that line. Ramblin Rose was very sweet and energetic and that's where I tipped my hat to Warren. Nice job. Well done. He also did an excellent job with China Doll. Phil! Pulling out Whiskey in the Jar? Very good and sang it well. caveat - I like Phil's voice, always have, know I'm in the minority. King Solomon's Marbles? WTF? Highlight of the show. They killed it. Didn't seem to miss a beat and took out there for a while. Very nice. And always, how about ending the show with NFA, just blistering with energy. I'd say, very good job this band did. I really was entertained the whole day and night. Can wait for the next tour!

Peace,

Gil
 #60640  by Good Times

Laytonco wrote:Hey Goodtimes! Great meeting you and yours last night. Let's stay in touch. There are a lot of very kind folks we've met here through the years and would love to hook up and introduce you!

Oh the show.....Several good highlights. The lot scene was very very cool. Packed with a bunch of bug-eyed happy nice people. That kicked it off for me big time. Inside, well, if I described every show I'd have to see awesome, freaking awesome, wicked awesome, but then again I was extremely bug-eyed going in myself! I was in the rafters so I missed Bob's all-night frown. That's good. I thought Lost Sailor>Saint was fantastic, nice and tight. Acoustic Me & My Uncle was another good one. "I'm as honest as a Denver man can be!" The freakin roof buckled a little on that line. Ramblin Rose was very sweet and energetic and that's where I tipped my hat to Warren. Nice job. Well done. He also did an excellent job with China Doll. Phil! Pulling out Whiskey in the Jar? Very good and sang it well. caveat - I like Phil's voice, always have, know I'm in the minority. King Solomon's Marbles? WTF? Highlight of the show. They killed it. Didn't seem to miss a beat and took out there for a while. Very nice. And always, how about ending the show with NFA, just blistering with energy. I'd say, very good job this band did. I really was entertained the whole day and night. Can wait for the next tour!

Peace,

Gil
Nice meeting you as well! Thanks of for the hospitality in the lots, it really set the stage for the rest of the evening. I will stay in touch for sure and will check out your myspace page when I get some time. Let me know when you guys are playing in Denver again and I'll make a point to be there. I would love to see you guys play and also meet some other kind folks.

I really enjoyed the show. This was 1st time I have seen any configuration of the band since 1995. I was thoroughly impressed with Warren, especially on China Doll. There were many other highlights as Laytonco mentioned but overall it was just great to hear everything coming together and everyone having a great time. I'm so glad I went and am looking forward to the next chance to see them again :smile:

Steve