Chat about Equipment Info
 #59402  by 1960strat

I have been really wondering about how Jer got that Live Dead era tone out of his SG. Did he use any pedal's (were there any available) or was he just goin straight to an amp on 10? What kind of amp was he using then? The twins or stacks of Bassman's? I got me an SG but cant find the right tone....
 #59404  by deadguise

He used a number of twin reverbs and they may have been modified by Bear. He had an early SG (don't know the year) and most likely a bare minimum of pedals (fuzz? Wah?) if any at all. Most of the sounds he got was working the tone controls of the amp and guitar and Jerry being at the top of his game.

#59412  by SarnoMusicSolutions

SG into Fender Amps with JBL's. Hard to beat that kind of beauty thru minimalism.

I believe that much of Derek Trucks' work in recent years has been from an SG into a Fender Pro Reverb amp. No pedals. Just a cord.

Brad
 #59416  by tigerstrat

Insect Fear
 #59428  by Tennessee Jedi

tigerstrat wrote:Insect Fear
Hah hah !
I wanted to name a band Insect Fear once.....
That is what Jerry is credited with playing on Jefferson Starships Blows against the Empire I think ...
deadguise wrote:He used a number of twin reverbs and they may have been modified by Bear. He had an early SG (don't know the year) and most likely a bare minimum of pedals (fuzz? Wah?) if any at all. Most of the sounds he got was working the tone controls of the amp and guitar and Jerry being at the top of his game.
deadguise wrote:He used a number of twin reverbs and they may have been modified by Bear. He had an early SG (don't know the year) and most likely a bare minimum of pedals (fuzz? Wah?) if any at all. Most of the sounds he got was working the tone controls of the amp and guitar and Jerry being at the top of his game.

It is amazing the wide variety of tones and sounds Jerry gets on LIVE/DEAD.
:D
 #59436  by tigerstrat

I believe Trucks plays BF Super Reverbs. Wasn't some of his gear ripped off a couple years ago, and it included 1 or 2 SR's?

Jerry circa early '69, almost all of what he is using just the guitar, its tone controls, and his cranked Twins...

However I still believe that a secret weapon was employed on those short "harshly glistening" passages that occurred for approximately 1 minute each somewhere in the depths of the Dark Stars of that era (on 2/27/69/Live Dead its 14:00-15:00 approx). It is one of the most GONZO sounds I've ever heard JG get- so oddly squeezed and bursting with harmonic content. Some say it's from picking behind the bridge, but I'll eat my words when I hear someone reproduce the sound convincingly in a posted clip.

I've come closest (not having an actual SG) using my Schecter C-1 into an octave-up fuzz (Foxrox Octron), into a wah sitting near the top of its range(bandpass filter). My hypothesis is that someone on the GD technical team had built a homemade effect box combining an Octavia-like circuit with a simple BP filter and voila: Insect Fear. It may have been too large a device to place onstage or Jerry didn't (yet) want to have any pedals... or it sucked tone and needed to be physically patched in and out. I think it's very believable that a crew member (or "human switch" as Scully describes Bob Matthews operating the leslie) stood at the ready to engage and disengage the effect at a signal from Jerry.

ymmv! :smile: