#59358  by tigerstrat

Kinda interesting that in the fall pic, all 4 speakers are miked up.

Don't the Gauss drivers that he used also have the metallic dust cap? Maybe the surround or the cone itself looks different on those, or it probably would have been mentioned already.
 #59390  by playingdead

The way I remember that cabinet, it had speakers with black dustcaps, not metal ... this photo shows it if you look hard.

#59417  by Chuckles

Just going from the gasket colors, fall '87 looks like Gauss top left with the others JBLs; the third pic looks like Gausses left and JBLs right. Spring '87 pic you can only see the left-hand side and do appear to be JBL (maybe the cab was flipped?).
 #59418  by jonarobb

The Gauss 2841's that Weir favored had a much wider accordion surround. Those drivers from the looks of the picture have the rolled cloth surround of a JBL.
 #59419  by Chuckles

jonarobb wrote:The Gauss 2841's that Weir favored had a much wider accordion surround. Those drivers from the looks of the picture have the rolled cloth surround of a JBL.
Hmmm... methinks you are right. But what were in the BW cabs then? We know reconed JBLs never come with alternate gaskets or anything, right? :roll:

Gauss:

#59426  by Pete B.

I recall an interview with Bobby where he stated that he had gone to using "full range" speakers (like stereo speakers).
Anyone recall what years and what model speakers those were?... (or a link to that interview)?
~pb
 #59454  by playingdead

In 1988 he had what looks like Gauss speakers in his 4X12.

By 1990, he had those full range cabinets under the drum riser, with those weird looking "bullet" horns on 'em.

By the fall of 90, he had a pair of regular looking monitors with a woofer and conventional horn.

#59474  by tigerstrat

playingdead wrote:In 1988 he had what looks like Gauss speakers in his 4X12.

By 1990, he had those full range cabinets under the drum riser, with those weird looking "bullet" horns on 'em.
Pretty sure he had those "bullets" by September of '88, as I seem to recall noticing them at Cap Centre during Space on the 3rd or 4th night. He was running his MIDI rig by that time, anyway- gongs and chimes and church bells galore.

Are they Meyer, perhaps?
 #59479  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Aren't those Meyer MSL speakers under the drum riser? I recall, vaguely, that in '86 Bobby had those and there was a very kazoo-like, crispy, zingy top end coming off the stage. I thought he got those to overpower Healy in case Dan didn't put Bobby up in the mains loud enough. Bobby's on-stage PA. I much preferred Bob's tone with the Gauss or JBL 12" speakers over the full-range PA cab's. Those things were too hi-fi and full-range for guitar.

Brad
 #59529  by playingdead

Weir moved his speakers to the drum riser to narrow the line. Healy talked about it in an interview; they found that they could get everyone closer together so they could all hear each other better instead of relying on individual monitor mixes. "It's best to hear Jerry from Jerry's speakers."

He said, "You reach a point of diminishing returns with monitors. We've taken it to that place. You can have your monitor scene so well set up, so efficient, that you can isolate yourself from everybody. But then look what you've done."

When Weir moved to the center, that's when they discovered it was better if Jerry and Phil switched sides, presumably so he could hear Brent and Brent could hear him. I always thought Jerry had a set of Brent's speakers next to his rig 79-81; there was a pair of 15" JBLs and a pair of K-110s i sandwiched between Jerry's cabinet E-120s and Bobby's cabinet.