#54375  by jonarobb

Took a train ride up the Hudson the other day and brought my iPod with me. Never get a chance lately to dig in and listen to stuff with headphones anymore. Maybe it was the schwag but all I know is the Morning Dew from 8/6/71 on DP 35 is explosive. The recording first of all is amazing. It's so full sounding for just the 5 of them. Pig plays some of his most tasteful organ playing.

But there is a snippet at around 2:35 where they do that cool Baroque sounding turn-around as Jerry sets up for the verse. It's probably the most expressive thing I've ever heard. Phil does this monster descending bass line to land back on the D and Jerry lays off for a bar and comes in with this subtle trilly thing before he sings.....like a hammer on-pull off. Almost like he had to get his head together after hearing Phil's line.

You gotta check it out.
 #57995  by Emoto

OK, I am confused (a common occurrence). Dick's Picks 35 was 8/7/71. Did you mean a different Dick's Picks or did you mean 8/6? I went to that spot you mentioned in DP 35, and although it was really good, I couldn't quite figure out which Jerry riff you were referencing. Am grabbing 8/6 from shnflac right now, so I can listen to it later...
 #57998  by bodiddley

The stuff he is talking about is on disc 4 of Dick's Picks 35. May I add that a nice "companion" release to this is the Road Trip series of the Summer of '71 and includes 7-31-71, 8-23-71 and the bonus disc included more stuff from 7-31, 8-6 (including a soundboard of the infamous version of "Hard to Handle"), and rare prison stuff from 8-4-71. A simply fantastic release if you dig this era like I do.

Now that we're talking about it I think I know what's getting cranked up today!
 #58005  by Emoto

Ok, I stand corrected. Sorry to have been misleading. My own notes on DP 35 when I ripped it to MP3 were incorrect. Wikipedia has this about the last disk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick%27s_Picks_Volume_35

Disc four

8/24/71 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL

1. "Good Lovin'" (Resnick, Clark) – 11:37

8/6/71 Hollywood Palladium, Hollywood, CA

2. "The Other One" (Weir, Kreutzmann) – 8:06
3. "Me & My Uncle" (Phillips) – 3:14
4. "The Other One" (Weir, Kreutzmann) – 6:25
5. "Deal" (Garcia, Hunter) – 5:48
6. "Sugar Magnolia" (Weir, Hunter) – 7:01
7. "Morning Dew" (Dobson, Rose) – 11:29
8. "Turn On Your Lovelight" (Scott, Malone) – 25:42
 #58016  by jonarobb

Yeah, the lick I'm talking about is nothing more than a cool little trill that Jerry does as he misses the setup to sing a verse. Comes in a bar late after getting his head together. It sounds so good to me and it just made me think about how everyone's playing affected everybody else on stage.
 #58018  by Emoto

jonarobb wrote:Yeah, the lick I'm talking about is nothing more than a cool little trill that Jerry does as he misses the setup to sing a verse. Comes in a bar late after getting his head together. It sounds so good to me and it just made me think about how everyone's playing affected everybody else on stage.
Around 2:35, eh? I'll play that area again when I get off this freaking phone that I'm stuck on....