Talk about the recent Tours
 #54972  by High Peaks

strumminsix wrote:

I find it funnier though that now after all this complaining about them not touring anymore, then they'll play together for a politician, and now it costs too much. How can anyone really complain so much about their favorite band...
My fav. Band had a guy named Jerry in it. Not Warren!!
 #54977  by krzykat

nobody thought that there would be tix for sale at bryce jordan, well guess what there were tons! I'm not worried about finding tix. a true jedi will always get in the show

BTW that signature pic as the actual blanket! now taking orders
 #54985  by strumminsix

High Peaks wrote:
strumminsix wrote:

I find it funnier though that now after all this complaining about them not touring anymore, then they'll play together for a politician, and now it costs too much. How can anyone really complain so much about their favorite band...
My fav. Band had a guy named Jerry in it. Not Warren!!
Fair enough, HP. However, I view the GD as the sum of all their parts with each role being equal. I respect your point of view.
 #54986  by Chuckles

You can say the band isn't the same without Jerry... but Jerry wouldn't have been the same without the band.

Jerry's been dead for over 13 years. To think that these musicians have nothing left to say or haven't evolved further in their craft is absurd. If you don't want to hear it, fine. Go away; nobody's pressuring you to go. Why ruin the vibe for everyone else because you're stuck in the mid-90's?
 #54996  by wisedyes

I don't know, I don't think the prices are all that outrageous, really. I mean, what do the Stones charge these days? Wonder what the Zeppelin tickets would have cost had the tour happened? How much does Sir Paul rake in a pop? Madonna tickets in New York are like $350.00 or so.

I just paid $35.00 per seat to see Ratdog in November, about $80.00 total after charges, etc., and springing for two of the cheaper seats for the Charlottesville show only set me back $106.20 all together. Considering I get all four surviving members at once for this, it's like I'm only paying $12.00 each for Phil, Billy and Mickey.

Sure, when I started seeing the boys back in the Pleistocene tickets were about $10 - $18.00, but that was over 25 years ago now. Times, as I hope most of us have noticed, have changed. And I guarantee that were Jerry still alive, and the Dead were still touring with "Grateful" in the name with all of them present ( which I highly doubt, but just for arguments sake ) it wouldn't still be at 1995 prices. Especially if they had scaled back to one tour every other year, or once a year or so. Supply and demand rules the market.

The overhead for this tour will be huge. The Dead do not set the prices to play at the halls they play at - the arenas themselves and the promoters hash all that out. The band does need to bring in enough box office to pay for everything involved, though- and costs of everything are plumb freaking crazy these days, kids. And, let's be honest - most of the fan base is, shall we say, has a bit more of a "touch of grey" about them these days, so should be a bit better able to swing a hundred and fifty bucks or so. And if you can't, sorry - but most likely you weren't going to be able to afford to buy too many tickets back then either and would have been outside walking around with a finger in the air.

So, either suck it up, pay it, and don't let it piss you off to the point you can't enjoy it, or suck it up, don't pay it, and revel in your frugality. But bitching about it isn't going to do anything but poison the well. This isn't driven by some industry conspiracy and speculation like oil prices were.
 #55014  by abica

Gadzooks man!

*useless text and ranting about St Louis venues deleted to save people a headache*

At least folks have the chance to see 'em.
 #55021  by tigerstrat

golfnutt wrote:Hell some of the best dead show's I've been to I never saw the band. Back in the late 80's at the Oakland collisuem they had huge banks of speakers in this large hallway everyone had all kinds of room to dance it was great!!!
The lower hallway at Oakland was my home too! There's nothing to see on stage anyway- bunch of dudes hunched over their instruments; look at that beautiful dancer right next to you! Bust a move!
 #55022  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:
golfnutt wrote:Hell some of the best dead show's I've been to I never saw the band. Back in the late 80's at the Oakland collisuem they had huge banks of speakers in this large hallway everyone had all kinds of room to dance it was great!!!
The lower hallway at Oakland was my home too! There's nothing to see on stage anyway- bunch of dudes hunched over their instruments; look at that beautiful dancer right next to you! Bust a move!
Seriously agree! Esp on bust a mvoe :lol: The only time I was unhappy was at Rosement and only get beind the stage and you were forced to stay there. They had these heavy drapes in each of the entry ways and you couldn't hear anything in the halls. Also, IIRC, this was the first set of shows at the tour after Bear so it was much quieter anyway. Other than that all the suckers move in, and I move back and dance away!

All time favorite is have seats in an outdoor arena that are like dozen rows from the lawn! Everyone starts moving forward and ya get almost a whole row!!!!
 #55023  by tigerstrat

strumminsix wrote:The only time I was unhappy was at Rosement and only get beind the stage and you were forced to stay there. They had these heavy drapes in each of the entry ways and you couldn't hear anything in the halls. Also, IIRC, this was the first set of shows at the tour after Bear so it was much quieter anyway. Other than that all the suckers move in, and I move back and dance away!
A) What set of shows? and B)what is this reference to Bear? I thought the last time he actually worked for the band was 1972 or shortly thereafter.
 #55025  by jackr

Man, I remember the days when people literally couldn't give tickets away. You can go to the show and there would be people giving away tickets before they went inside. I have done that a number of times myself.

I guess I am showing my age.
 #55027  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:
strumminsix wrote:The only time I was unhappy was at Rosement and only get beind the stage and you were forced to stay there. They had these heavy drapes in each of the entry ways and you couldn't hear anything in the halls. Also, IIRC, this was the first set of shows at the tour after Bear so it was much quieter anyway. Other than that all the suckers move in, and I move back and dance away!
A) What set of shows? and B)what is this reference to Bear? I thought the last time he actually worked for the band was 1972 or shortly thereafter.
Feb 1994

Meant to say Healy. Trying to shut down quickly at work after that post. A total Office Space moment :oops:
 #55028  by tigerstrat

strumminsix wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
Feb 1994

Meant to say Healy. Trying to shut down quickly at work after that post. A total Office Space moment :oops:
Ah that makes sense now. Enjoyed the opening night of that run in particular. Behind the stage was one of my favorite spots at indoor shows, pretty sure that's where I spent much of that run.
 #55029  by CountryMile Cadillac

jackr wrote:Man, I remember the days when people literally couldn't give tickets away. You can go to the show and there would be people giving away tickets before they went inside. I have done that a number of times myself.
It was always a blast to give tickets away to total strangers. I was on both ends of that a couple times, and the feelings was so good. Of course I must admit I usually give the tickets to those good lookin chicks you guys danced next to...
 #55040  by tigerstrat

Was only at about 3 shows where there were loads of extra tickets:

4/1/88 Detroit, almost nobody needed a spare ticket and I barely was able to miracle someone, my first time!

4/5&6/89 Ann Arbor: the ushers working the shows were volunteers from U of M; I actually saw people write their own ticket on the back of a matchbook and have it torn and be admitted with a smile. One guy used a Ringling Bros stub from a few weeks before and got in. It was a huge, very wonderful JOKE! And two of the best shows of a very great year.

and most surprising of all-
3/5&6/92 Hampton(!!!) these shows were added after tour had started so there was no mail-order and only day-of-show ticket sales. My buddy and I skipped the final show of Atlanta, snuck in a quick ascent of Looking Glass Rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looking_Glass_Rock), a granite dome near Brevard, NC and high-tailed it to get to Hampton the morning of the first night, to get in line at the local TM. Our haste was unnecessary though, tickets FLOODED the lot (at HAMPTON?!?)... the shows were fairly lukewarm though, even the Help> Slip was pretty tame.