#53545  by jonarobb

Still holds up after all these years. We were all mega-dosed on hits that had the number 1 on em'. So high that during Morning Dew I thought it was 1967. Came out of the Civic Center to a wall of 10 foot tall Maine State Troopers driving Volvo's.

Check out Cold Rain and Snow to open the second set, Morning Dew and the Good Lovin' encore....

http://www.archive.org/details/gd84-10- ... sbeok.shnf
 #53671  by George

I'm a huge fan of that show too. I had a wild experinece roller blading fast thru the streets of manhattan, on my way to a roller hockey game, during rush hour traffic with the playin' and uncle john's repsises blasting thru my walkman headset all the while dodging cabs, bikers, pedestrians, pot holes etc. It was such an intense, thrilling ride!
 #53673  by Chuckles

That was a very, very high evening for me as well... road tripped up from Hartford and crashed at my girlfriend's (now wife's) roomie's sister's place. They were NOT ready for the onslaught of the 15 freaks we brought with us.

Loved Maine shows! That one had the first Playin' reprise, but I think I liked the CCCC shows more for sheer wierdness... 3/31/85 inverted Playin' anyone???? That whole '85 spring tour was nuts...
 #53683  by frankielee

Almost, no it's impossible to narrow it down to just one show.However 8/1/73-Roosevelt Stadium always comes to mind. Garcia's Birthday. Take a liste to DS>>El Paso>Eyes>Dew and if you can still think straight listen to the rest of the show as well 8)
 #53824  by Emoto

Englishtown in Sept. of 77 was it for me.
 #53828  by tigerstrat

Are we doing the "favorite show I attended" thing again?

I guess I had thought jon was being specific to discussing his show... well he didn't actually post what show it was, but I take it it was 84 in Maine. But let's do it again!

Sure we don't want to make a sticky permanent discussion on this topic?? Jus checkin.

Jealous of you guys with your 70's shows, esp. anything pre-hiatus! I started in 85. Can only narrow my "best"* down to a top 7 in NO order: 4/15/89 Milwaukee, 12/28/88 Oakland, 4/2/90 Atlanta, 7/15/88 Berkeley, 7/2/87 Rochester, 9/12/88 Philly, 8/4/89 Cal Expo.

* = meaning musically/spiritually combined impression. There is no way to fully disassociate musicality with the overall experience one has while in attendance... even listening to a recording: if you were there, then you have memories of being there. So even a sloppy performance, to an attendee might recall fond memories of a "fun" day, etc. etc. :D which after all isn't that what the Dead experience was all about?
 #53835  by jonarobb

tigerstrat wrote:Are we doing the "favorite show I attended" thing again?

I guess I had thought jon was being specific to discussing his show... well he didn't actually post what show it was, but I take it it was 84 in Maine. But let's do it again!

Sure we don't want to make a sticky permanent discussion on this topic?? Jus checkin.

Jealous of you guys with your 70's shows, esp. anything pre-hiatus! I started in 85. Can only narrow my "best"* down to a top 7 in NO order: 4/15/89 Milwaukee, 12/28/88 Oakland, 4/2/90 Atlanta, 7/15/88 Berkeley, 7/2/87 Rochester, 9/12/88 Philly, 8/4/89 Cal Expo.

* = meaning musically/spiritually combined impression. There is no way to fully disassociate musicality with the overall experience one has while in attendance... even listening to a recording: if you were there, then you have memories of being there. So even a sloppy performance, to an attendee might recall fond memories of a "fun" day, etc. etc. :D which after all isn't that what the Dead experience was all about?
I guess I meant best overall time. I saw over 500 GD shows and a couple hundred Garcia shows. I recently put together my show list for for a project I'm helping with and between 79-95 that Augusta show really jumps out at me. There are some hot ones in there but for sheer Grateful Dead weirdness and vibe those 2 nights in Augusta Maine in the fall of 84' really was the right place to be. Right behind it is Lake Placid from 83'. That show was just well played and a cool place. And then Lehigh in 81' just because I thought it was cool that I was traveling so far from home(NYC) to see the Dead. You never forget that...
 #53840  by amyjared

* = meaning musically/spiritually combined impression. There is no way to fully disassociate musicality with the overall experience one has while in attendance... even listening to a recording: if you were there, then you have memories of being there. So even a sloppy performance, to an attendee might recall fond memories of a "fun" day, etc. etc. which after all isn't that what the Dead experience was all about?
I hear ya. I caught some early '80's shows, but didn't set out to tour until '84. Best show is tough to define. Like you said, when you were THERE it made such a difference. My fave for being there was that Richmond show that they put out on Dick's Pick's from '85. Loved the set list, the Gloria, the split of Lost Sailor/Saint, just a magical night after staying at the hotel across the street and spending the rainy day in the hot tub and sauna. That was one crazy-ass night, too, complete with many friends ending up in jail for smoking during the show! I would have been in as well, but was sick and didn't partake! I spent the rest of the night (between hits off the tank) on the phone trying to get up bail to get my friends out. Went to bed around 3 and got a phone call at 7 that court was in session across the street and so off I went. I lost my shoes at the Fox (another couple of great shows and great stories), so I was almost thrown out of court for not wearing shoes! Ah, the memories that come flooding back...Maybe we should define best show I saw in different categories: Best performance by Garcia, best Phil Bomb, best Bobby spit, best setlist, best breakout, best pre-show activities, best post show activities, best ingestion of supplements, etc?
 #53845  by Emoto

jonarobb wrote: I saw over 500 GD shows and a couple hundred Garcia shows.
:hail: :hail: :hail:

Never had enough space in my life to do anything that extensive. I lost count and track of which shows I was at, but I am sure it numbered fewer than 50. My hat is off to you.