Musical Theory Abound!!!
 #53040  by mttourpro

So I've played this tune many times but realized a couple things weren't just perfect and have been working on it today. People do it in different ways I'm sure.....my question is, what chord do you play at the very end. I've seen G diminshed, D augmented and I used to play a C diminished.
Believe it or not, they all sound pretty good. I don't have a good version to listen to and I'm on dail-up.
I'm thinking the c diminished is definitely wrong, but it does sound pretty good arpeggiated in tritone intervals with both hands.....thoughts?? TIA--MT
 #53042  by mttourpro

Thanks man....it is in G, and I thought that D aug was the nicest sounding. I guess we were doing it incorrectly for years in Left for Dead---band before theCAUSE for 10 yrs---playing tommorow (semi-annual get together) at a very cool brewpub in Slippery Rock Pa.
I'm psyched. Now I have to get the rest of the band on it too!
 #53049  by wisedyes

I've always used a D#9#5 myself. Tension out the wazoo.
 #53055  by ronster

Speaking of Stormy Monday. This how I play the start of the verse section:

E----------------------------------------5-----------3-|
B-----------5-------3--------------------------------3-|
G-------------------2------------3/5----------5------3-|
D----3s5------------3--------------------------------2-|
A----------------------------------------------------3-|
E------------------G7-------------------------------C9-|

The first chord is typically called out as a G7 which it is close to except for the A instead of a B. Similar to an A#maj7 but the A# does not work. Anybody know the correct chord name?

As far as the last chord I play this (x54333), which is, once again no chord name that I know of. Close to a Daug and also close to a Gmaj7, kind of a hybrid chord.

E---------------------------3-----------|
B------------------------3--------------|
G--------------------3------------------|
D-----------------4---------------------|
A-----2h3h4s5---------------------------|
E---------------------------------------|

My guess is Tbone just played these by ear without any formal music training. Either way they are both classic chords that make Stormy one of the all time great blues tunes.
 #53056  by Pete B.

This can be used as an Intro if one wanted, or as the turnaround right before each verse:

E|----------------
B|-------------3--
G|----------3-----
D|-------4--------
A|--3/5-----------
E|----------------

The basic chord shapes for the I and IV chords (Key of G). They are usually done with a slide up/back 2 frets to get the Allmans "feel"(like on the intro/verse).
----I----IV
E|--1----6--
B|--3----8--
G|--2----7--
D|--3----8--
A|--2----7--
E|----------

The walk up (in general terms):
----I----ii--iii--iiib--ii--maj7--I----IV---I---aug----------
E|--3----5----7----6----5----3----3----3----3----------------
B|--3----5----7----6----5----4----3----3----3-------------3--
G|--4----5----7----6----5----5----4----3----4----------3-----
D|--5----5----7----6----5----6----5----2----5-------4--------
A|--5----7----9----8----7---------5----3----5----5-----------
E|--3----5----7----6----5---------3---------3----------------
Last edited by Pete B. on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #53057  by ronster

I'll answer my own question
The last or turnaround chord is a Daug, the last G note (on the high E string) I play is the start of the G chord.
 #53060  by mttourpro

ronster wrote:I'll answer my own question
The last or turnaround chord is a Daug, the last G note (on the high E string) I play is the start of the G chord.
Thanks for all the replies.....not to get too picky Ronster, but there is no G in a D aug.
Sounds good to me if you make the highest D the last note before the start of the G.
wisedyes wrote:I've always used a D#9#5 myself. Tension out the wazoo.
That's interesting as well given that it's a half step up from my original tritone-interval- based C diminsihed and acts as a cool substitution. But, I think it's wrong.

I'm gonna go with the D augmented.
 #53066  by wisedyes

The only difference between the D Augmented and the D#9#5 is the inclusion of the #9. To me, it just adds a little extra pizazz is all. Like any extended type dominant chord, you can generally omit the extensions or even add new ones in without altering the basic nature of the chord itself. So either one would work well in this situation, I just like the extra coloring is all.
 #53072  by mttourpro

Wisedyes---actually, my mistake in that I just realized you meant "D" sharp 9, sharp 5---I was thinking you meant Eb9 with a sharp 5....too many numbers for me I guess.
 #53074  by Chuckles

Pete B. wrote:This can be used as an Intro if one wanted, or as the turnaround right before each verse:

E|----------------
B|-------------3--
G|----------3-----
D|-------4--------
A|--3/5-----------
E|----------------

The basic chord shapes for the I and IV chords (Key of G). They are usually done with a slide up/back 2 frets to get the Allmans "feel"(like on the intro/verse).
----I----IV
E|--1----6--
B|--3----8--
G|--2----7--
D|--3----8--
A|--2----7--
E|----------

The walk up (in general terms):
----I----ii--iii--iiib--ii--maj7--I----IV---I---aug----------
E|--3----5----7----6----5----3----3----3----3----------------
B|--3----5----7----6----5----4----3----3----3-------------3--
G|--4----5----7----6----5----5----4----3----4----------3-----