Talk about the recent Tours
 #52890  by OhNoBigfoot!

Hey all, i'm a new member to the board but certainly not to the bus, been riding for quite sometime now. Has anyone heard word of The Dead playing at madison square garden in may? Shed some light if you could.- Mike
 #52930  by Billbbill

Haven't heard anything either but I'd guess this indeed would be "the dead" and as such I'd be so there, being about 30 minutes or so from downtown Manhatten. I've got such great memories from that venue from my first show (3/9/81 - a great aud available at the archive for those who don't yet have it - a must as I see it) through the early 90's.

Here's the link to that show.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd81-03- ... sbeok.shnf

gotta love this shit!!
 #52931  by Billbbill

And one more thing - for you anti CC Rider folk (and you know who you are!), I dare you to listen to this shows version and proclaim that it's not SMOKIN!.
 #52932  by tigerstrat

Billbbill wrote:And one more thing - for you anti CC Rider folk (and you know who you are!), I dare you to listen to this shows version and proclaim that it's not SMOKIN!.
Good CCs in '81- 9/12/81 Greek stands out. Nice "cool down" after the hot Scarlet Fire.

...see now the moon is shining bright...
 #52933  by Billbbill

tigerstrat wrote:
Billbbill wrote:And one more thing - for you anti CC Rider folk (and you know who you are!), I dare you to listen to this shows version and proclaim that it's not SMOKIN!.
Good CCs in '81- 9/12/81 Greek stands out. Nice "cool down" after the hot Scarlet Fire.

...see now the moon is shining bright...
Yup, got that one as well - excellent example ts. Other standouts for me from that show -Shakedown, Birdsong and China->Rider. Also from 9/11 a nice Women are Smarter and Other one->Morning Dew. Also if memory serves me well a cool Cumberland as well. I believe some nice aud recordings from Jim Wise of these shows are available on the archive.
 #52934  by ebick

I'm sure we can all agree that we do generally like CC Rider and there were many good ones. What none of us ever liked was to use the words "Grateful Dead Concert" and "predictable" in the same sentence. And we all know, that's we got in the early 80's with regard to CC/Rooster.

And I get Bob wanting to do a standard 12 bar every night.....but this band was so versatile, could they not have rotated, oh I don't know, 50 similar songs to fit this bill instead of 2?
 #52936  by krzykat

I have heard that Jimmy Herring will be playing with the dead for spring tour, and that there are MSG shows slotted and that they will be closing the SPECTRUM! see ya'll on tour. remember if you see someone selling art blankets stop by and say what up and check them out
 #52940  by Billbbill

ebick wrote:
I'm sure we can all agree that we do generally like CC Rider and there were many good ones. What none of us ever liked was to use the words "Grateful Dead Concert" and "predictable" in the same sentence. And we all know, that's we got in the early 80's with regard to CC/Rooster.

And I get Bob wanting to do a standard 12 bar every night.....but this band was so versatile, could they not have rotated, oh I don't know, 50 similar songs to fit this bill instead of 2?
No doubt Ed - hell, they had some numbers in their past that would have been nice, say Next Time You See ME or China Town Shuffle for just a couple. Don't know why they didn't mix it up. That being said, it still seems like a bias against ccr and lrr goes beyond the predictability issue.

While I had some preferences I was always more interested in how a song was played rather than what song it was. Their predictability did register, but was a blip on my radar compared to how well or lousy a particular tune was played. I would agree however that a rarely played tune played well, was certainly more fun than a song beaten to death played well.

I'd guess the number of shows one has been to would be a factor as well. Now I've beaten this issue to death. :smile:
 #53159  by kenneybonz

Hi.. mentioning clsoing the spectrum, is there a date for that? are they imploding it? I guess it's time, but what a place.. i have a really awesome dark star stuck in my head from there from a spring tour that had a big weather change during the show in store for us when we left... i think it was chilly but clear when we went in and had a half foot of snow when we left...
anyhow, if there is a schedule to closing it down i couldn't see it anywhere and if the dead were part of that, i'd wanna be there AND the garden.. and wherever else..
tk