#52739  by b weird

I don't know what kind of guitar he's playing the tone is great. That whole run from 4/25-29 is great also. I have seen some pictures of Bobby from that run and he's playing a black Les Paul. The Dead Gear book says that it may be Jerry's Les Paul from 68.
 #52749  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

The Les is a Deluxe isn't it? Mini-buckers. The funny thing is in my old band out in Park City, UT I used to borrow the other guitar player's Deluxe from time to time, had a great sound, a little different than what I was used to hearing, and it looked just like that one.
 #52853  by China Cat

yeah LP deluxes are sweet, the guitar i built haas seymour mini buckers in it and theyre really nice pickups
 #52866  by tigerstrat

I believe the axe in use at the time is supposed to have been this Rick Turner salvage/custom job, made from a 62 Les Paul SG neck, and Alembic hardware & pups, forerunner of the Lindsey Buckingham guitar:

#52876  by tigerstrat

willmusic wrote:I thought there a peanut guitar thread on here somewhere but I did a search and found nothing so I guess it was on gearheads. I posted a bit of info on them. Pretty cool guitars.
The guitar Jerry is pictured with was built before the existence of Alembic, in fact I misspoke that it had any Alembic pups or hardware- it used the Gibson pups, wired in stereo. The Peanuts are obviously at least influenced by Turner's body shape though, if he didn't directly design them himself.
 #52881  by jonarobb

tigerstrat wrote:I believe the axe in use at the time is supposed to have been this Rick Turner salvage/custom job, made from a 62 Les Paul SG neck, and Alembic hardware & pups, forerunner of the Lindsey Buckingham guitar:

I don't think he used the Rick Turner custom one until the summer, August in fact, for a short run of shows if pictures tell a thousand words. The east coast part of the spring of 71' March and April was that Sunburst Les Paul.

I count no less than 5 different guitars in 1971 all documented by photos:

Spring- Sunburst Les Paul, Manhattan Center photos
Early Summer-Graham Nash Strat(Alligator) in France 6/21/71 video
Summer- Double Cut Gibson TV(yellow) 7/2/71 Video confirms this
Summer- Rick Turner Custom (BCT 8/14 & 8/15/71) Pictures in DP35
Late Summer and Fall & Early Winter- Graham Nash Strat(Alligator) Photos from Gaelic Park and Ann Arbor
 #52884  by tigerstrat

jonarobb wrote: I count no less than 5 different guitars in 1971 all documented by photos:

Spring- Sunburst Les Paul, Manhattan Center photos
Early Summer-Graham Nash Strat(Alligator) in France 6/21/71 video
Summer- Double Cut Gibson TV(yellow) 7/2/71 Video confirms this
Summer- Rick Turner Custom (BCT 8/14 & 8/15/71) Pictures in DP35
Late Summer and Fall & Early Winter- Graham Nash Strat(Alligator) Photos from Gaelic Park and Ann Arbor
Various sources put the Turner SG in the March and the flame LP in August; never seen it flipped as you have it. It would be cool to see the DP 35 pics sometime. Are they confirmed from the same shows? It's very possible he went back and forth between guitars more often than the scant photo record from this year could show.
 #52893  by jonarobb

Yeah man, you're right. There's a picture on Dead Net from 3/21/71 in Wisconsin with Jerry playing that project guitar....

So it would be likely that he was still using it when they rolled into NYC a month later for those Fillmore shows...

3/21/71 Milwaukee, WI

#52909  by tigerstrat

Great pic! Amazing stuff keeps popping up on dead.net. The band is really crammed into a small space there... anyone know when Phil's EB-0 bass was supposed to have been stolen?
 #52913  by b weird

jonarobb wrote:Yeah man, you're right. There's a picture on Dead Net from 3/21/71 in Wisconsin with Jerry playing that project guitar....

So it would be likely that he was still using it when they rolled into NYC a month later for those Fillmore shows...
Jerry may have played that guitar during the Fillmore shows but than again maybe not, Jerry didn't go on tour with just one guitar. I'm sure he had a couple so he could have switched back to his Paul sometime before the Fillmore.
 #52920  by tigerstrat

b weird wrote:
jonarobb wrote:Yeah man, you're right. There's a picture on Dead Net from 3/21/71 in Wisconsin with Jerry playing that project guitar....

Jerry may have played that guitar during the Fillmore shows but than again maybe not, Jerry didn't go on tour with just one guitar. I'm sure he had a couple so he could have switched back to his Paul sometime before the Fillmore.
There's also the swamp-ash strat as a possibility, the first known sighting being France 6/21/71, but the guitar photos from 71 are so few and far between it could easily have appeared months earlier. August could have been more the yellow Les Paul Jr, or the flame Deluxe, etc. etc.

Especially if he broke a string from time to time and had Ramrod hand him the "next" stage-ready guitar. In the 10/2/77 interview he mentions having broken a string (on the Wolf) the prev night, remarking that he hadn't broken one in like 4 years. I don't believe I ever saw him break a string in 155 shows 85-95, must have "evolved" out of the habit. I know I certainly have! Don't wanna jinx it, and I know it must have happened at some point, but I really cannot remember having broken a string in like 10 years.