#52498  by Emoto

There didn't seem to be a forum for this...

Lots of jazzy sounding chords in the Garcia/Saunders versions of this. Anyone got chord forms that sound like what Jerry is using? I would LOVE to cop this song. Found a tab somewhere, but it didn't seem even remotely like what Jerry was doing...

Bob
 #52613  by astroman99

Its been years, all I remember is Cm and the intro drop the C to B and still play the chord as is.
 #52615  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

I had it as a Cm9 played down in the 3rd position to a Cm6#9 for the first two chords he toggles in the intro.

Cm9

B -----I-----I--x--I
G -----I-----I--x--I
D --x--I-----I-----I
A -----I-----I--x--I

Fingers: 1st finger on D string, 2nd finger on A string, 3rd finger on G string, 4th finger on B string

Cm6#9

B -----I-----I-----I--x--I
G -----I--x--I-----I-----I
D --x--I-----I-----I-----I
A -----I-----I--x--I-----I

Fingers: 1st finger on D string, 2nd finger on G string, 3rd finger on A string, 4th finger on B string

I could be wrong about the second chord, but there is no doubt about the cm9. The important tones for Jerry are that he takes the dom 7 to a 6 and the 9 to a sharp 9. Merl continues this once Jerry starts to play the head. Merl takes it from the Cm9 to a Cm7#9, which is pretty much the same concept but stressing the shift of the 9 to #9.
 #52620  by Emoto

Very cool! Can't wait to try it...
 #52621  by Pete B.

Interestingly, traditional versions of this tune use the same Am-Walkdown lick as the intro to Miss Halstep, only in whatever key they happen to be playing in (a quick youtube search for this title brings up a ton of 'em).

Just messin' with it here... The intro vamp oversimplified... just bounce back and forth from Cm>Gm>Cm>Gm... at the fret-8 and fret-10 barre positions, using a jazzy thumb/fingers alternating picking method... pick one low note with the thumb, pick 3 higher notes with the fingers, with a scooby-doobie type of jazzy cool maaaan feel.
The body is like Jerry does a remote semblance of the Melody line a few times (while the intro vamp continues), then they go to Fm (8th fret barre), then to that G9 which is like the Jimmy Hendrix Purple Haze/Foxy Lady chord shape, but played at the 10th fret, and back to the intro vamp.
Uhhh... there a coupla other sections to this jam I haven't personally decoded yet. 'Always enjoy this jam, never played it until today.
I like the chords listed above.

I'm currently listening to the first "JGB" version that comes up from a My Funny Valentine search, here (I had to drag the boucing ball directly to MFV in Windows Media Player):
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/Default.aspx

Here is some tab in Dm that has some cool chord shapes:
http://www.guitaretab.com/c/costello-elvis/4054.html
 #52622  by tigerstrat

Pete B. wrote:that G9 which is like the Jimmy Hendrix Purple Haze/Foxy Lady chord shape, but played at the 10th fret
The "Purple/Foxy" chord is a "sharp 9" - simply sharpen the 9th by one half-step.
 #52623  by Pete B.

Thx!

This is what I am playing for that Foxy chord (G7#9 I think is the correct name):
E|------
B|--11--
G|--10--
D|--9---
A|--10--
E|------

Wow, this one is hard to follow (playing along with a live version), and often comes back to the intro vamp.
So this one uses that 12/8 jazzy beat, basically count it in three's... 1,2,3 1,2,3.

The oversimplifyied Intro Vamp (Cm7 and Gm7, repeat over and over):
E|--8-----10----8-----10--
B|--8-----11----8-----11--
G|--8-----10----8-----10--
D|--8-----12----8-----12--
A|--10----10----10----10--
E|--8-----------8---------

Maybe more like what Jerry is doing at some points (again, vamp repeats over and over):
E|--------------------------------------------
B|--------3--------3-----------4-----------4--
G|-------3--------3-----------4-----------4--
D|--------------------------------------------
A|--3---------3------------------------------
E|-----------------------3-----------3-------

The Fm7 and G7#9 (Do the vamp above for a while then transition from the last Gm7 above to the Fm7>G7#9 below).
E|------------
B|--9-----11--
G|--8-----10--
D|--10----9---
A|--8-----10--
E|------------

After going round on that for a few, it comes out of the G7#9>Fdim and lands on a Bb6 before transitioning to the next segment (NOTE: You can always use the Fdim as a transitional passing chord after the Foxy Lady G7#9 to transition to the Bb6 section, OR, back to the intro vamp, which is very important if you ever intend to END this song 8) ).

Any time you land on the Bb6, Punch the octave notes on strings 6 and 4. (also notice that the upcoming transition from Bb6 to Ebmaj7 is only the bass note shift from string 6 to string 5).
Bb6
E|-----
B|--8--
G|--7--
D|--8--
A|-----
E|--6--

I think the next segment goes something like this...
Each chord gets two counts of 3... 1,2,3 1,2,3. (The G7#9>Fdim chords get one count of 3 each, the diminished being like a passing chord that sets up the next line).

Ebmaj7 > Cm7 > Fm7 > G7#9>G#dim
E|-----------8---------------------10---
B|--8-------8------9------11-----9----
G|--7-------8------8------10-----10---
D|--8-------8------10-----9------9----
A|--6------10-----8------10---------
E|----------8------------------------

--Cm > Cm7aug > Fm7 > G7#9>G#dim> Bb6
E|--8-------9-------8----------------10-----------
B|--8-------8-------9-------11------9--------8--
G|--8-------8-------8-------10-----10-------7--
D|--10------8-------10------9------9--------8--
A|---------------------------10-------------------
E|---------------------------------------------6--

Whew!...
Funn Stuff!
~pb
Last edited by Pete B. on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
 #52646  by Pete B.

Anyone know how we get this song title entered into the Song Forums or Grateful Dead Tabs listings?
 #52647  by Tennessee Jedi

Get one of the " Global Moderators " to do it. Send 'em a PM. They can be reached from the bottom of the Board Index Page.
And have 'em put all the good Lazy Lightening stuff there too .
:hail:
 #52792  by Pete B.

Wow, there are over 700 video tabs at that site. Very cool.
I will work with that website on my next day off... I bet there's a bounty of nugs in there!

I've listended to some more MFV's by JGB 73/74-ish timeframe on the SugarMegs site. Most are in the 18-24+min range!... and often sound like they never really were all on the same page with regard to an arrangement... some serious Space in there, too.
I have made arrangements to try this one out at our weekly trio jam tonight...
All hail the Snare with Brushes.
:hail:
 #52838  by Pete B.

Here is the arrangement we went with last night, which generally captures the primary elements of the JGB version (but is not a 100% copy exactly... hey, this a interpetive jazz bay-bee!).
I cannot begin to tell you how musically thrilling it was to play through this tune (once we got the bugs worked out).
It is a truely hypnotic jam.
~pb

My Funny Valentine – Cm
Note 1: Each chord name gets a count of three.
Note 2: Bass notes are Bold when Bass note is different from chord root.
Note 3: Regarding the G#dim, remember dim's repeat every 3 frets.

Intro Vamp:
Cm Gm Cm Gm
Cm Gm Cm Gm

Verse (typically repeats 2x):
Cm Gm Cm Gm
Cm Gm Cm Gm
Fm Fm Fm Fm
G7(#9) G7(#9) G#dim G#dim

Transition (bounce on Bb6 octaves):
Bb6 Bb6 Bb6 Bb6
Bb6 Bb6 Bb6 Bb6

Bridge:
Ebmaj7 Ebmaj7 Cm Cm
Fm Fm G7#9 G#dim
Cm Cm Cm7aug(Eb) Cm7aug(Eb)
Fm Fm G7#9 G#dim

Bridge Alternate Ending #1 = Return to Bb6 Transition

Bridge Alternate Ending #2 = Return to Cm/Gm Intro Vamp (guitar does repetitive reggae-ish lick setting up for next section, either Verse or Bridge).

Alternate Intro/Verse Vamp: The “Cm Walkdown”
(Same run as Miss ½ Step intro, but in Cm).
 #53243  by tigerstrat

Cm | B+ | Cm/Bb | F/A | AbM7 | Fm G7-9

the ending:
Code: Select all
AbM7 /  | D7-5 G7-9 | Cm B+ | Eb9 A7+5 | AbM7 /   | Fm7 Bb7 | Eb Db9 | EbM9
Stay lil' Valentine, stay-y.           Each day is Valentine's Day.
wish I knew how to get the "SELECT ALL" out of there.
 #53267  by Pete B.

tigerstrat wrote:Cm | B+ | Cm/Bb | F/A | AbM7 | Fm G7-9
TS,
Can you possibly throw up some tab for those chord forms/position?
I don't have a guit in hand, so I'm struggling with the context.