rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#52439  by 1960strat
 Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:56 pm
Well, I decided to take the plunge and convert my refin'd SRV strat (i paid 1800 for it and cant sell it for half that) to a Jerrycaster. I have seen alot of info on this board and am soliciting suggestions on the conversion. Just so you are know Tiger is my favorite Jerry axe. I am willing to route this and do whatever to it with a nearly unlimited budget.. Suggest away boys!!
 #52443  by b weird
 Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:31 pm
Take a look back in the post archive. You'll find everything you need to know and then some since it seems that once a week someone asks that same question.
 #52448  by paulinnc
 Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:49 pm
Why would you want to do that to a nice strat like the SRV model. I would switch out the pickguard for one that doesn't have SRV on it. If you want a Jerrycaster, I would get a MIM strat and use that. I will be meeting with my woodworking friend next week to discuss my "Wolfcaster".
 #52459  by waldo041
 Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:40 am
Waldo's JerryCaster
MIM Strat -

mighty mite maple neck / ebony fretboard

custom shop hot rod convertible bridge (hardtail)

custom dual jackplate - to accomodate the effects loop with no other routing needed (jackofroses.com)

custom jerry pickguard plate - allows for quick battery and electronics replacement with NO string removal(jackofroses.com)

Carvin Twinblade humbuckers - no pickup routing , too weak for single coil operation, but a nice output and frequency response

series/parallel wiring ( bridge / middle )

neck - parallel wiring too retain more of a single coil tone out of the neck position

Tiger cloned preamp - made by yours truly -tucked in the empty trem cavity

#52474  by 1960strat
 Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:49 pm
The SRV strat i have is what I have to work with. I am certainly not going to route my 73 strat or 60 strat. I have an highway one tele but i dont want to touch that. I also have a 72 SG, 71 goldtop LP, 73 335, and a 59 RI LP custom. The SRV strat is the only thing i have to play with. I already put a non SRV pickguard on it and upgraded the caps and PUPs to 57 RI's. Long and short is i dont ever play this guitar and cant sell it without losing money so that is the one that is gonna get chopped up.
 #52561  by ELPManticore
 Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:07 pm
I posted this on the ugly guitar thread also but I am 90% convinced that its Keith on that guitar and not Jerry.

I aslo plan on builing my own jerry caster inspried guitar - a few fretless projects from now :)