rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #51888  by Tennessee Jedi
 Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:30 am
Look - I just like looking at peps rigs !
:lol:
The gear head vs. the purist thing is old.
We are all gonna go home tonight and practice anyway.
:lol:

 #51891  by playingdead
 Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:54 am
Okay, here's proof, from the 4-1-80 April Fools show at the Capitol Theater in Passaic:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd80-04- ... sbeok.shnf

That's not Jerry on Jerry's guitar, and it sounds awful!

 #51894  by Tennessee Jedi
 Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:08 pm
Ha !
Bob sounds the best on keys ....
Even does a "solo" !
Sadly Mickey is no Jerry
:lol: :lol: :lol:
 #88370  by jaybird1
 Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:24 am
here is my attempt at a Garcia Rig!!!
Attachments
yan yan00051.jpg
yan yan00051.jpg (175.16 KiB) Viewed 1401 times

Re:

 #88378  by jazzedupbertha
 Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:40 pm
Phatboy wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:I thought it was because Jerry was a super hero ...

:lol:
Us mere mortals have tons of tone sucked tones.
:lol:
i agree superhero jerry had sum space age tone. Alot of his tone is just a clean amp w a few effects. He usually used amp distortion by linking up several amps and or ampheads to get a overdrive . A stomp pedal could nvr get that sound ( overdrive dod or boss)
Not sure if anyone covered this yet... but wtf are you talking about? jerry used a twin reverb until '93. Twin reverb's produce little to no "amp distortion" as they are 80watts of tube power... and on top of that jerry ran the preamp of the twin into a very loud and clean power amp. in the 80's he used a boss distortion pedal. in the 90's he had a groove tubes trio... which he had set for clean and distorted sound. so, if you are planning on coming on to a forum that revolves around the sharing of info between sa bunch of GD gearhead... know the facts or you will be looked at the way you are now... as a very ignorant individual that seems to have no proof to back up what you say. and please... refrain from making comments directed at waldo... he is a good man and deserves a bit more respect than you have shown to him.
 #88379  by JonnyBoy
 Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:39 pm
jazzedupbertha wrote:
Phatboy wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:I thought it was because Jerry was a super hero ...

:lol:
Us mere mortals have tons of tone sucked tones.
:lol:
i agree superhero jerry had sum space age tone. Alot of his tone is just a clean amp w a few effects. He usually used amp distortion by linking up several amps and or ampheads to get a overdrive . A stomp pedal could nvr get that sound ( overdrive dod or boss)
Not sure if anyone covered this yet... but wtf are you talking about? jerry used a twin reverb until '93. Twin reverb's produce little to no "amp distortion" as they are 80watts of tube power... and on top of that jerry ran the preamp of the twin into a very loud and clean power amp. in the 80's he used a boss distortion pedal. in the 90's he had a groove tubes trio... which he had set for clean and distorted sound. so, if you are planning on coming on to a forum that revolves around the sharing of info between sa bunch of GD gearhead... know the facts or you will be looked at the way you are now... as a very ignorant individual that seems to have no proof to back up what you say. and please... refrain from making comments directed at waldo... he is a good man and deserves a bit more respect than you have shown to him.

He was schooled. That was an interesting day. Not sure what his purpose was. But, if he was talking about the late 60's I was under the assumption Jerry linked a few twins together for his rig, which may be what he is referring to, but still ,doubt he was there to see it. As for 73 on everything is a different depending on the year or tour even. That guy isn't around anymore from what I have seen. I think his intentions was to start a fire and run.
 #88381  by Grant
 Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:55 pm
on that april fools promised land, who is playing what?
 #89002  by jaybird1
 Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:24 am
What do you guys think of my little rig? I can get some decent Garcia-ish Tones the Boss OD-2R screams, its a little harsh, I understand the Boss GE-7 EQ tames the OD-2R is that true? I hear they work well together and Jerry used a similar combo as well. I am a player but not pro at all, hack I guess.

So much to learn & I have so many questions.

Thanks I love this site!
 #89005  by JonnyBoy
 Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:36 am
Sorry Jbird, it is pretty cool, I like your pedal board too. I am sure the rig does the job well. I like Boss pedals, they can even be modded easily into boutique works of art if you want, a great starting point for that, but still great sounding OD (and others) without that. Mutron products speak for themselves round here. Thanks for sharing! :smile:
 #89008  by tigerstrat
 Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:05 am
jaybird1 wrote:What do you guys think of my little rig? I can get some decent Garcia-ish Tones the Boss OD-2R screams, its a little harsh, I understand the Boss GE-7 EQ tames the OD-2R is that true? I hear they work well together and Jerry used a similar combo as well. I am a player but not pro at all, hack I guess.

So much to learn & I have so many questions.

Thanks I love this site!
I think Vic actually started this thread specifically to talk about his latest rig (not that anyone should have ownership of the phrase "my Garcia rig").

This would seem to be the de facto continuing/"sticky" thread for everyone to post their gear: forum/viewtopic.php?f=319&t=271&start=270

During 1989, JG used the OD-2r w/o an EQ, adding the GE-7's to both of his OD pedals early in 1990 (iirc)
 #89834  by Fox
 Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:01 pm
i maybe late to this thread but that's a nice rig and nice chops to go along with it
 #89938  by schmidtz
 Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:12 pm
Just finished making some upgrades. Here she is:
Image

Amps:
1977 SF Twin with JBL E120's
Vox AC4TV head and cab

Pedals:
QTron +, Ibanez AF-9, Ibanez Tubescreamer, Digitech JamMan Solo, Boss GE-7, Korg Pitchblack, Whammy,
Boss DS-1, Boss Noise Suppressor, Ernie Ball Volume JR, EH Holy Grail

Guitars:
Jimmie Vaughan Strat (this thing ROCKS)
PRS SE Maple Soapbar II
1972 Ensenada Dove Acoustic
(Not pictured)

I feel like this is a decent setup, mainly because I'm 20 and have payed for it all myself.

Whaddyall think?
 #89947  by jkstraw
 Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:38 pm
schmidtz wrote: I feel like this is a decent setup, mainly because I'm 20 and have payed for it all myself.
:lol:

Looks like a great rig! Enjoy it like crazy until you have enough for your next addition/upgrade! :wink:
  • 1
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18