#50794  by bodiddley

Much worse than Closing of Winterland. Very grainy, often out of focus and very limited angle of shots. The "Fire" on the DVD fades out.

#50869  by b weird

I think it's just a way to make a quick buck. Bobby must have been low on cash.

#51098  by paulinnc

Is the video footage with Kesey and some of the other freaks? I know Bill Walton was on crutches and there is a whole thing when they're at the pyramids. I agree about the shows, not that great. Smoking too much Persian?
 #79835  by jefkahn

Hey, I'm checking out this Egypt DVD, and aside from it's horrible video quality it's fun to watch! I cut my teeth on late-80s and early-90s Dead, so seeing this late-70s show is a lot of fun. Jerry has energy! The Deal is a riot--the band is really rocking and jumping around.

Worth the money? You bet--it's history. And fun.
 #79836  by FretWilkes

jefkahn wrote:Worth the money? You bet--it's history. And fun.
Agreed! How about Billy with the cast on his arm.

Grateful Dead...warts and all, just the way I like it!
 #80038  by JonnyBoy

Emoto wrote:
deadguise wrote:I bought this package mainly for the DVD. Any quality footage of the boys is great to watch but it must have been the heat or the local dope or what but talk about an off night...some tracks are good and the band looks like they're enjoying themselves. I like the scene where Phil tries to wake Keith from his coma...
"An off night" has been the general consensus about the whole Egypt trip since it happened. I had cassettes of some of it within months of it happening (which was amazing in pre-internet days for someone with no connection to the band) and even in those days of being starved for live recordings of the Dead, I didn't listen to it much. Still, there are good moments, and I don't want to sound like I am putting them down because I'm not, but in terms of playing only, the Egypt shows will never be counted as their best shows. I suspect that the decision to release these shows has more to do with what the marketing people thought would sell than any thought of putting out their best music.

Part of the deal to play there was to raise money for some charity there to get permission from the govt to do it so they made the movies knowing they would be produced. Phil said something like that in his book. They had to make financial arrangements with their government to play.
 #80039  by bodiddley

I think at this point in the game Keith was already dead and the rest of the boys were pulling a "Weekend at Bernies", and propping his dead carcass up at the keyboard.