#50861  by Billbbill

So that subject line sounds a bit strange but you know what I mean. He's in the mix big time here and some real bob lick learnin to be had. Here's the set list and the link:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd73-09- ... efail.shnf

CD 1 - total 70:48 -
Bertha 5:54
Me & My Uncle 3:07
Sugaree 7:52
Beat It On Down The Line 3:20
Tennessee Jed 8:18
Looks Like / Rain 7:20
Brown Eyed Women 5:42
Jack Straw 5:05
Row Jimmy Row 9:56
Weather Report -> 5:55
Let It Grow 8:17

CD 2 - total 60:44 -
Roll Out The Barrel 0:33
Eyes Of The World -> 15:24
China Doll 5:59 (end of set 1)
Greatest Story 4:51
Ramble On Rose 6:42
Big River 4:4
Sing Your Blues Away 3:43
China Cat-> 3:42
I Know You Rider 10:16
El Paso 4:50

CD 3 - total 57:57 -
He's Gone -> 14:14
Truck/in -> 10:13
Not Fade Away -> 8:53
Goin' Down The Road -> 8:01
Not Fade Away 3:30
Stella Blue -> 8:10 (encores)
One More Saturday Night 4:53

#50863  by pappypgh

Oh YEAH! There's some really great 73 shows out there that have Bobby REALLY prominent in the mix. Love that stuff!

#50864  by jonarobb

I love this! That's what's cool about these 73' SBD's. Bob Weir with the GD as his backing band. Those riffs on Bertha right out of the gate are sweet.

#51207  by Billbbill

Figured I'd bump this - it went through pretty quickly and once it's off that 'new' page...I bet some eyes missed it.

Really great NFA-GDTRFB on this as well.

#51215  by Billbbill

That's another excellent one jonarobb. Funny thing though, the only copy on the archive is a sb as the sugarmegs one sure seems to be, but is not nearly as "bobby proud". Kinda weird. Gotta love this stuff! I'll be adding this one to my collection.
 #52815  by old man down

Saw them take the stage for the 3rd time in my life the following Saturday night at the Providence Civic Center. That was when I realized that there was "no place else I'd rather be." At the shows back then everyone was young and you'd see your friends in the hallways. As a teenager, for me, they were gods on a pedestal, mythic due to their inclusion in The Electric Koolaid Acid Test, and it was very difficult to find out much about them. Everything was hearsay and word of mouth.
 #52926  by Rev_Roach

oooh yeah thanks bill. nice to hear bobby so well. i dont know many of his parts well and a good show like this is certainly the way to start.
 #52929  by Billbbill

Rev_Roach wrote:oooh yeah thanks bill. nice to hear bobby so well. i dont know many of his parts well and a good show like this is certainly the way to start.
Hey rev,
yea, you know me, I'm mainly a jerry guy, but I love checking out what bobby's up to as well. It's always a continuing adventure, which is one reason why I love da boys!!
 #52947  by Stevo123

I'm always amazed at how Bobby manages to find that certain "space" in the music that complements everything else so well. The way he chooses his chord voicings, register, and tone is downright brilliant. I really wish he would write a book on his approach to music, lol. Even though he was usually way down in the mix, his presence contributed so much to the overall sound. Greatest rhythm guitarist ever, IMO.
 #52948  by Rev_Roach

Code: Select all
I'm always amazed at how Bobby manages to find that certain "space" in the music that complements everything else so well. The way he chooses his chord voicings, register, and tone is downright brilliant. I really wish he would write a book on his approach to music, lol. Even though he was usually way down in the mix, his presence contributed so much to the overall sound. Greatest rhythm guitarist ever, IMO.
In a band with that many voices it would be quite easy to overpl,ay, but bob didnt. smart enough to find splaces where he could contribute, not clash. many players have some compulsion to be playing notes at all times, but bob was/is very comfortable layin out sometimes to the point of assuming a call/response kind of role.
 #53139  by GratefulPat

wow, seemed to have missed this topic for the last month or so, or i just forgot that i saw it :D , this show is soooo tasty, i love when bob is up in the mix