Chat about Equipment Info
 #50813  by Dozin

Does anyone ever run into the problem with not being able to get their auto wah to quack? I can't seem to get mine to work. I've tried all kinds of different combinations but the signal to the effect seems to be weak. If I hit the strings hard it will quack but it's to loud. I've tried a TS in front of it to boost the signal without success. Even tried a different AF-9.

Any ideas?
 #50815  by strumminsix

Dozin wrote:Does anyone ever run into the problem with not being able to get their auto wah to quack? I can't seem to get mine to work. I've tried all kinds of different combinations but the signal to the effect seems to be weak. If I hit the strings hard it will quack but it's to loud. I've tried a TS in front of it to boost the signal without success. Even tried a different AF-9.

Any ideas?
Precisely why I returned mine. It seemed so subtle it wasn't any good in my rig. I've gotten ever other type to quack and qwuck, some better than others, but the AF-9 was not playing nicely with me.

#50817  by Dozin

It use to be sweet but I've changed my rig, playing a different guitar and I just can't get the friggen' thing to work now.

#50818  by strumminsix

The only way I was able to get quack and qwuck was with an EQ pedal before it. Needed a boost and reshape.

Wish I had something more practical...

But if you have it in GCX look both come on at once! I had my AF9 before my GCX so it went...

#50819  by pappypgh

Q-Tron.... :roll:

#50822  by strumminsix

pappypgh wrote:Q-Tron.... :roll:
Emma.... :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 #50825  by tigerstrat

Dozin wrote:Does anyone ever run into the problem with not being able to get their auto wah to quack? I can't seem to get mine to work. I've tried all kinds of different combinations but the signal to the effect seems to be weak. If I hit the strings hard it will quack but it's to loud. I've tried a TS in front of it to boost the signal without success. Even tried a different AF-9.

Any ideas?
I assume you've tried cranking the guitar tone pot down considerably? That and if you still need a boost to the signal, maybe use a true clean boost instead of a screamer. BBE Boosta Grande is very transparent at a nice price.

#50826  by jeffm725

dozin...
I would assume that the new guitar you are using has lower pickup output than your previous one. Have you tried to raise the height of your pickups closer to your strings?

As much as I love to tone and quack of the AF-9 (It is in both my jerry and bobby rigs), it is a pretty dodgy device to dial in.

With my jerryized Ibanez musician with the effects loop and buffer, the AF-9 sounds better to my ears than my q-tron. It loves the high-output of the super-2's and it is easy to dial in the 'sound" because of the pickups going out to the AF-9 pre-volume pot, so it is always seeing a constant hot signal (as you know)

However. using it with my Casio PG-380 with my Bobby rig is a different story. It is much harder to find the sweet spot in that setting. Through much trial and error (and some pretty hot pickups in their own right, I have a Bartolini humbucker in the bridge that can be split to single coil and Bill Lawrence made Ultra Sonics in the middle and neck.) I am able to get it to do what I need it to do. However, it is VERY dependant on which pickup I am running it off of and where my guitar volume is set. I actually have a tiny little sticker near my volume pot on where it needs to be to trigger the af-9 properly.

I ususally use position 4 (middle/bridge) on my guitar, with the guitar volume on 9 to trigger it properly. I then use a volume pedal to back off my overall signal if that setting is too hot for the room.

To Sum it up, the AF-9 likes it HOT.

I think you are using an Ibanez AR-400 now right?

Beautiful guitar, But those are lower output pickups then i think you are used to.

#50837  by Pete B.

I too have tried an AF9 (this one was labeled "Maxon") and found it extremely hard to trigger, and when it did "go off" it kinda brained me upside the head.
I've never tried an Ibanez original, though.

#50854  by jeffm725

Pete B. wrote: and when it did "go off" it kinda brained me upside the head.
HAHAHA...great description pete!
That is exactly what the maxon Re-issue does! The original Ibanex Af-9's also do it to a lesser extent. It has mid range hump and gain boost that can make you feel like someone just jammed a railroad spike in the side of your head.

I have the Maxon re-issue and the Ibanez original.

The re-issue is pretty faithful overall.

You really have to get used to these pedals because they will Brain you if you are not careful. The sensitivity and Peak sliders are very tweakable in helping with that problem

Also, that is why I mentioned I used a volume pedal with my weir rig, because as just a straight click"on" at high volume, it can knock you for a loop! A very fine balance between getting the signal hot enough to get it to open up and then being too loud. With the Jerry rig it is easier, because with it in the effects loop I can just roll back the volume pot a notch or two when engaged.
But for my money when these things are in the sweet spot they are the closest thing to the real Mutron's

....as an aside, any of you other giggers out there ever get knocked over by sound?, I mean have a sound go through your ear at such a high level that it messes with your equilibrium?...in the band I play the Bobby in, the Jerry has one of those Fender custom shop Dual professionals...you think a Twin can be loud?! This thing just will gut you!. Anyway I stand in the middle, he is to the left of the drums. We were playing a small room where my spot and vocal mic were 10 feet in front of his amp and pretty much in direct line with my head. We got pretty loud during a part and he hit a high A (17th fret top E string) that literally knocked me off my feet. I lost my balance. it ties into this thread in that his AF-9 had just been engaged!

#50857  by strumminsix

jeffm725 wrote:
....as an aside, any of you other giggers out there ever get knocked over by sound?, I mean have a sound go through your ear at such a high level that it messes with your equilibrium?...
MotionSound rotary horn did me in once so did a nutcase drummer who decided to stand up and only play his cymbals in a jam. And when I say play I mean try to break them. He was hitting them so hard I felt delirious. Now I stupidly was in the direct wash from a rotary horn from my old organ player buddy who rocked. And well he was jamming something fierce and some super high pitched note and the horn was swriling and so was my fucking brain.

Good thing I couldn't decide whether to puke, pass out or fall down cuz all 3 were in the running but just sorta stopped instead...