#48733  by FretfulDave

Well, "When push comes to shove..."

Grateful Dead and related.

Butfrom all the various articles I have read, interviews with the former Phish members, that the general consensus with them was it was when they were good and ready and nothing nostalgic... not a reunion. A re-invention... or better yet... just a bunch of guys that dig playing together.

So in its way, that puts Phish once again in a different situation than the reunion or re-convergence (better term) of the remaining force that was (and is) the Grateful Dead.

Do what can be done to keep it alive!!!

And

CELEBRATE

Gratefully yours,

Fretful Dave

#48734  by High Peaks

I definitely agree with TS and SS. Phish still has the dudes. In all the shows i've seen post Jerry with any lineup of the existing members, i've only lost myself at a show like i used to pre 1994 GD. That was P & F's at the Civic Center with Trey last October.

Agreed on all pints, or points Gentlemen!!! :D

#48735  by spaz420

both bands would be incredible, i sadly missed the oppurtunity to see the dead, but i have seen phish, and they were mind blowing. that being said, i go with dead cuz ive never seen em. :D

#48738  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

I think TS hit it on the head, a band needs to be the sum of all parts. That is what makes a band. I don't care how talented a Jimmy Herring or a Kimock or someone else filling in for Jerry is. Without Jerome, something (a pretty big thing mind you) will be missing.

No Jerome, no me. Period.

Phish I think still has that ability to rip someone's face off and isn't that we're talking about here? Facial ripitude?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the GD, but would I rather see Phish play Maze in all its fury and Trey tone, or see Bob and Phil and a guitarist not named Jerry Garcia struggle through Viola Lee Blues? The answer...the overhead view....

So in the immortal words of James Douglas Morrison "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Unless of course they resurrect Jerry and then I'm there.
Last edited by Crazy 9.5 Fingers on Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

#48791  by spaz420

Crazy 9.5 Fingers wrote: Phish I think still has that ability to rip someone's face off and isn't that we we're talking about here? Facial ripitude
i agree, but i wouldnt do either tour. so id be more excited to see the dead than phish. only because phish has many year ahead of them, while the dead are gettin old. i would see phish, but im more excited to see the dead. and if sci came back, then thats a whole nother story.

#48810  by Good Times

While Phish still has all the core people/pieces together, I would still rather see the Dead. Even without Jerry, and I think we all agree how huge that is, one more chance to see the Boys all together again would be great. Ah, I can just feel the memories coming back. I think a Red Rocks show would be a blast.

#50369  by jeffm725

Give me phish everyday of the week and twice on Sunday......
While the Dead were and are the musical love of my life, these days it ain't the real thing and its not close enough to pretend.

I just get sad when I see Ratog or PnF. Seeing the core four back together, I am very happy about it, and I support them 1000%. However, They are just not a vital band. It is nostalgia.

Phish, with its original members and a renewed focus would be a vital band, and that is what it is about for me.
[/i]

#50370  by jeffm725

I would like to add that between Fall of 84 and summer of 1989 I missed a grand total of 6 GD shows. I am 41 years old now.

Maybe if I was in my 20's and never had the chance to see the real thing and/or tour, I would feel differently about the reunion.At this point in my life I choose not to taint what are some of the greatest moments of my life by seeing a shadow of its former self.

I do enjoy seeing Phil and Ratdog locally on its own terms.However in this thread in trying to judge who has a better chance of bringing back their magic, it is Phish by a landslide.

#50371  by weirimpressed

I'm still going with Phish on this one, its going to be "facial rippage" at its finest!Plus, its not like their getting back together like they were before, they'll probably try and limit their touring, or do yearly runs or something. Who knows. All I know is that 2009 is going to be the heady

#50398  by astroman99

Looks like there will be plenty of tix at the door for the boys, can't wait, and all the scammers(not from this forum... but all the tried and true phishers will certainly be on phish tour, especially if this forum is representative sample) might be at the phish... sounds like paradise.

bring back DJ, and let Melvin sit in on a few, and Kaiser and bruce.

#50404  by hesgone95

If I were to do a tour it would be The Dead, no question about it. I'll see Phish if they come thru my town (Charlotte...yahoooooo!!! I'm back in the states finally!). But I gotta agree with previous posters that there are not going to be too many more opportunities to see the boys on tour and though it's not the same without Jerry, I think I might like to ride it just one more time...might as well...Oh and BTW, goin' to see PnF this Saturday here in town, can't wait, this is my first "show" in more than 5 years....gottta find some ganja goo balls... righteous man....:D

:cool:

#50407  by Emoto

jeffm725 wrote:Give me phish everyday of the week and twice on Sunday......
While the Dead were and are the musical love of my life, these days it ain't the real thing and its not close enough to pretend.

I just get sad when I see Ratog or PnF. Seeing the core four back together, I am very happy about it, and I support them 1000%. However, They are just not a vital band. It is nostalgia
[/i]
I'm not a Phish fan, so won't address that part of it.

However... it has taken these long 13 years for me to be able to listen to the remaining guys and hear them for who they are now, instead of what they used to be a part of. That sounds easy, but it was very difficult. Maybe I need to see RatDog again, but I caught them a few times some years ago and they bored the hell out of me. No spark or vitality, at least to my ears and heart. To me, that makes them not worth the hassle of going to a show. I won't go so far as to say they are just nostalgia, but they simply don't interest me.

PaF, on the other hand, I think possesses (sometimes) a spark and makes some seriously intense and fun music. Phil is playing like a much younger man. No, it isn't the Grateful Dead, and never will be, but they are vital and dynamic, and interesting enough to keep me coming back, every now and then, for a while...

#50417  by weirimpressed

Honestly, I think the only thing Ratdog has going for them is the sax player, I love me some horns! But other than that, all the recordings I have aren,t great and they seem pretty boring. Bob really mellowed out with Ratdog (or so it seems)

On the other hand, Phil tore it up last time I saw the band, and they seem to be able to put together an awesome show.

Once again, not like it matters.

#50430  by guido

I really have got into Phish in the last couple of years...really want to see them, have lots of DVD's that are amazing...but I would never miss the boys. Im too tied down to travel so I hope both will come through Buffalo or close anyways.

Im holding out for this band as well........

buuurrrrnnniiinnngg mmmmmaaaaannnnnnnnn

#50432  by weirimpressed

man, I just realized I hated on Ratdog pretty bad up there. My bad Bobby, y'all aren't boring, just really mellowed out

:? :?