#48586  by willmusic

Early blues like Son House, Skip James, John Hurt, Honeyboy Edwards, etc. Early jug bands....Gus Cannon's, Noah Lewis/Memphis Jug Band. I seem to get something out of all the jazz I hear. String bands, old time, bluegrass. I'm picky about the 60's, but most seventies (Chicago, Alan Parsons Project, Talking Heads, other randomness) is great by me. Love the Who and Rush and The Police. Love Motown. AC/DC is the shit. And make fun all you want cause I dig the Bee Gees. And Genesis and Gabriel and ole Phil Collins. As far as the 80's go, I love all of it. The whole corny mess of it. I guess a lot of it is 70>80's, but I needs my Journey, Hall and Oates, Whitesnake, Billy Ocean, Billy Idol, Joe Jackson, Toto, REO, Survivor, Heart (those chicks were hot!)....I could go on and on, but I'm sure most of you that actually read this far are getting nauseous.

#48597  by razmablues

Mischief Brew: Gypsy Folk-Punk
very talented guy, Erik Petersen, branched out from the traditional punk scene and started utilizing his acoustic guitar and mandolin in making gypsy punk songs with revolving musicians playing instruments such as the clarinet, accordians, pianos, and fiddles.

www.myspace.com/mischiefbrew

Two Gallants: Folk
an unreal folk guitarist playing a hollowbody gretsch with a drummer whose playing more melodically than rhythmically. the duo play traditional folk songs such as long summer day, and crow jane to name a few, and have their own beautiful tunes, a definite must for any deadhead, since we're all obviously feelin' the folk music.

www.myspace.com/twogallants

Dr. Dog: Psychedelic Pop
a band heavily influenced by psychedelic pop bands of the 60's, mainly the beatles. pumping their own modern influences in the music they create beautifully crafted songs.

www.myspace.com/drdog

yeah i'm a pretty young deadhead so alot of what i listen to is modern tunes and i hope i can turn on some of you cats to some of the new scenes brewing up

:cool:

#48605  by b weird

At the moment: Pink Floyd, Derek & The Dominos, Ten Years After, Jimi Hendrix, Rory Gallegher, Pearl Jam, Black Sabbath. That's it I think.

#48607  by strumminsix

ABB, Phish, Beatles, Dylan, Barenaked Ladies, Green Day, Metallica, oh the list goes on...

#48608  by revned_04

Here's a few that I always turn to when I need a little break from the dead:
string cheese incident, yonder mountain string band, widespread panic,
and for some electronic leaning stuff lotus ans sts9

#48621  by weirimpressed

lotus is awesome, definitely recommend them to people trying to have a good time. Really nice light show, and they are more instrumental (?) than Pnuma Trio and Bassnectar

#48623  by oconnors_35

The New Orleans Radiators and The Iguanas. Also lately I've been listening to the blues alot, and been digging on Eric Lindell.... soulful funky blues.

SeanO

#48631  by caspersvapors

led zeppelin
the black keys
rhcp
srv and double trouble
john mayer

#48647  by tigerstrat

Jerry Garcia Band. Definitely. :smile: anyone else like them?

Hmmm:

Bill Monroe & The Bluegrass Boys,in particular the '63 Kenny Baker/Bill "Brad" Keith/Del McCoury lineup
My Morning Jacket
Clutch
Talib Kwali
The Cars
Phish (esp anything pre-Billy Breathes)
David Nelson Band
Ricky Lee Jones

#48675  by pappypgh

Beatles
Frank Zappa
SoniaDada
there's more, but I'm done work - LATER!

I'll put up more tomorrow....

#48678  by China Cat

phish, umphreys mcgee, sound tribe sector 9, string cheese incident, moe, widespread panic, yonder mountian string band, disco biscuits, galactic, allman brothers, pl & f, ratdog, wu tang clan, rza, method man, ol dirty bastard, big l, sublime, daft punk, bob marley, ice cube, keller williams, my morning jacket,leftover salmon, medeski martin and wood, OAR, tea leaf green

damn i was bored

#48709  by amyjared

Lou Reed
Frank Black/Pixies
Kevn Kinney
X
XTC
Clash
FZ
Allman Bros
Steve Earle
Jimi
Elvis Costello
Skynyrd
Patti Smith
Springsteen
Any/all Motown

And that's just at the moment

#48745  by d-v-s

For the past couple of weeks, I've been listening to these non-DEAD albums, depending on my mood.

SCI - Carnival '99 disc 1
Phish - A Live One disc 1
Wilson Pickett - The very best of WP
Garcia/Grisman - Not for Kids Only
Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire
Django Reinhardt - The best of Django

#48747  by pappypgh

Beatles
Frank Zappa
SoniaDada
Southern Culture On The Skids
Pink Floyd
Eric Clapton
Little Feat
Norah Jones
Diana Krall
Robben Ford
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Old & In The Way
JGB
David Grisman Quintet
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones
Sam Bush
Alison Kraus & Union Station
Railroad Earth
Jethro Tull
Stevie Wonder
Cold Blood
Last edited by pappypgh on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon S. liked this