Talk about the recent Tours
 #47924  by astroman99

I have heard that Phil will be at the Democratic convention in Denver and will perform ...

#47937  by Tennessee Jedi

He is Obama's VP pick
:D :lol: :D :lol: :D
 #47938  by Emoto

astroman99 wrote:I have heard that Phil will be at the Democratic convention in Denver and will perform ...
Count me among those who think it sad that this could happen. I belong to no political party for a reason.
 #47943  by strumminsix

Emoto wrote:
astroman99 wrote:I have heard that Phil will be at the Democratic convention in Denver and will perform ...
Count me among those who think it sad that this could happen. I belong to no political party for a reason.
Count me in too. Arlo Guthrie was a big fan of Ron Paul but keeps a performer/person degree of separation which I very much appreciate and respect.
 #47944  by Emoto

strumminsix wrote:
Emoto wrote:
Count me in too. Arlo Guthrie was a big fan of Ron Paul but keeps a performer/person degree of separation which I very much appreciate and respect.
Yep. I think it diminishes an artist to do otherwise.

#47956  by CountryMile Cadillac

How about Bob and Mickey playing for Pelosi?

Dylan playing for the Pope, Dylan Playing for Clinton at his inaguration?

Willie Nelson having dinner at the White House with Carter, or Carter playing harp with Willie and BB King in Atlanta?

Jerry and Senator Leahy were friends, Garcia would stop by his Washington Offices (Jerry had dinner with him and met Strom Thurmond). Weir has fundraised for him.

The Lesh-Obama tie is not suprising at all to me. Above are a couple of examples, but I have always heard of more when it comes to politicians and artists.

#47959  by strumminsix

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:How about Bob and Mickey playing for Pelosi?

Willie Nelson having dinner at the White House with Carter, or Carter playing harp with Willie and BB King in Atlanta?

Jerry and Senator Leahy were friends, Garcia would stop by his Washington Offices (Jerry had dinner with him and met Strom Thurmond). Weir has fundraised for him.

The Lesh-Obama tie is not suprising at all to me. Above are a couple of examples, but I have always heard of more when it comes to politicians and artists.
Willie's dinner, Jerry's visits & dinners is Jerry/Willie the person.

Fundraising shows are by the performer.

That's how I feel.

I'm fine with any cause. Not a politician.

#47960  by Emoto

strumminsix wrote:
CountryMile Cadillac wrote:How about Bob and Mickey playing for Pelosi?

Willie's dinner, Jerry's visits & dinners is Jerry/Willie the person.

Fundraising shows are by the performer.

That's how I feel.

I'm fine with any cause. Not a politician.
Exactly.

#48013  by weirimpressed

lucky them :cool:

#48026  by heavynylon

Count me among those who think it sad that this could happen.
Count me in on this. While performers are free to speak their mind, I don't think it makes good business sense to get too vocal on politics. They risk alienating half their audience. I can honestly say I've never been influenced to vote for a candidate based on a musician's recommendation. But I have certainly stopped listening too some musicians after they got too obnoxious about politics - especially when they do it at a concert that I payed to see.

To Phil's credit, at his recent concerts, though the Obama sticker was prominant on his speaker case, he did not use his stage to make a political speech. I appreciate that.

#48362  by astroman99

He read the news and views here and opted out!
No where I think Robert Hunter's lyrics could have a better audience to promote unity and love than the DNC