#47820  by monroe

I'm trying to figure out a certain honky tonk, country rhythm riff that's really a pretty essential piece to know. I say this, cause you hear it A LOT. It's all over the place, and I feel like I should know how to play it, but I just can't get it. It's basically (if you are playing in G) some kind of a hammer on to G chord and a C chord. I can play something close, but I can't get it all smooth and buttery like bob/jerry etc.

Bob plays it in Cumberland Blues (in the "intro jam", he plays it behind Jerry's "intro solo). I've also heard jerry go to it regularly on Big River. If you are so inclined, it's a major part of the main riff in Phish's Possum.

How the heck do you play that. Sure wish I could find a YouTube Video of someone showing how to play that close up.

#47824  by astroman99

First off you have to have a good dog , a bad woman and a broken pick-up truck, drink canned beer and shots of southern comfort, after that its easy.

What you hear in G, is them bouncing off a susp 4th which is as you know is the c note, so start on a G barr chord, slide down a 1/2 step , up real quick and then bounce on the c, repeat as necessary...
it will take some time!!!

Bobby borrows it slightly different for sugar mag too.

#47826  by Billbbill

Here's a thread where I tab my take on JG's Big River intro - which covers a lot of bases in one form or another.

http://community.rukind.org/viewtopic.php?t=442

#47828  by monroe

Billbbill wrote:Here's a thread where I tab my take on JG's Big River intro - which covers a lot of bases in one form or another.

http://community.rukind.org/viewtopic.php?t=442
Thanks. I'll work with that tab some tonight when I get home.

#47830  by strumminsix

I have Bobby's intro tabbed out in a thread in Big River too.
Check it out after Bills
 #65265  by stratjac

There is a wonderful instructional DVD by Arlen Roth called Masters of the Telecaster that really breaks down all those country bluegrass sounds.
He even demonstrates banjo picking on the Tele.
The lick I think you are describing is analyzed during his "Mystery Train" breakdown.
I think it is Scotty Moore, or maybe he is just the first one I really heard do that.